Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Oral Questions

Options
  • 16-08-2008 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Bonjour! Having asked a question about what to do for the 'document' in my French Oral Exam, I'm wondering what other topics could come up in the exam.

I've been told to learn off things like the weather, my future career, etc.

What else normally comes up and what should I learn off?

Merci!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 pedanticwretch

[/quote] I've been told to learn off things like the weather, my future career, etc.

What else normally comes up and what should I learn off?

Merci![/quote]

NEVER EVER LEARN THINGS OFF!! I can't actually stress that enough.
    Learn a huge variety phrases, proverbs and french expressions to show you have a genuine store of vocab and a grasp of French because the examiner is well aware if you learned a whole bit off. They may interrupt you or even just let you speak and not listen, meanwhile they will think of a question to TOTALLY throw you off!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I'd be surprised if you got asked about the weather!

Just revise basic things like your family, your school, your area, your pasttimes etc.
    Then have some phrases prepared on more dificult topics like social problems, differences between rural and urban life, maybe a little on politics.

Learn a lot of different phrases, rather than big blocks of text.

Oh and throw in as many different verbs and correct tenses as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Imallin9989

Wtf are people talking about the orals during their holidays.. stop worrying they are months away .. I did my leaving cert last year the oral is easy.. learn off loads of ****

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I train people for their oral exams and it's not good to learn things off bar the questions that will more than likely be asked eg. Family, pastimes and your school. However, you have to show that you are thinking about the question and dont just throw it at them. They CAN mark you down for this. It is meant to be a conversation. You should learn expressions like:

Hmm, c'est une question difficille (pause for thought)

Hmm, je dirais que

Oh c'est vrai mais....

Try to show that you are in control and know your grammar. Make eye contact and relax. Don't worry about mistakes. Just correct yourself: "Pardon, je voulais dire..."

Make sure that you slip in a few complex grammatical conjunctions like le subjonctif:

Il faut que je...
    Pourvu que
    A condition que

ONLY use the conditional if you are asked a question about something that could happen. Example. Your future:

Je n'en suis pas sur. Je pourrais aller a l'universite mais a l'instant j'ai d'autres soucis. Par exemple. Les examens.

This is taking control of the conversation. You can easily twist the conversation in your direction and talk about what you want.

You will only be asked something complex, e.g society issues if your french is really good.

Listen to as much french as possible to perfect your acent because it is worth a good chunck of the marks.

If you have any other questions. Feel free to PM me. If you need grinds in any area of french i am also available to help.

Advertisement