Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Institute of Education in Dublin ??

Options
  • 16-08-2008 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

Hey,

Have any of you guys repeated LC or spend a year in a grind school or in the Institute of Education in Dublin ??, are grinds school worth the money, Teaching etc??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

I just did 5th year in the institute, starting 6th year next month.
    The teaching ranges from about good to excellent, I've yet to find anything else. A lot are well known from writing text books etc. The best thing about it is that if you're not liking the teacher or don't think they're good enough you can change at Halloween and even again at Christmas.
    Supervised study is great too, 8-8 on weekdays and it's open on weekends too.
    If you can afford the money (which is undeniably a lot, probably too much :() and you're motivated enough, you'll probably get what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 heywhatever

i did grinds there a few years back. personally, i feel that they didn't make a whole lot of difference, i thought that anywhere i would have gone for grinds would have given me as good a base to work off; I think that its really down to how much you want to do well. if you want it enough and are willing to study enough then you'll get your reward - i know plenty of people who didn't do the whole grind school thing and came out with great results; i think if you repeat its not about where you go, but how much you are willing to work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you're motivated (and do not have a learning disability for which you require extra help), you can do well anywhere.

The fact that your parents have paid quite a bit of money to the Institute may be an additional 'incentive' to do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 pedanticwretch

It really isn't worth the money unless you're aiming for a 520+ Leaving Cert. The Leaving Cert. is not as daunting as it appears right now to the class of 2009 in Sept. Believe me. Just got my results and I'm wondering what all that fuss was about!!!!!!

My advice is to definitely go to a Xmas and Easter revision courses. In Yeats, Park or wherever. It is a couple hundred euro but the 5000 grand odd to go to school in a grinds school is just a longer, drawn out version of it!
    At the revision courses, the teachers will go through the full course and the absolute essential so you aren't wasting valuable time studying crap (which can be easily done without expert guidance.) It pays massive dividends when exam time comes around. I went for two subjects and came out with a B2 and A1. I could be looking a mid- C's in both without the revision courses!!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

I just repeated there and while there are good teachers and everything else it can be impersonal. In my other school the teachers would know you by name, know some interests etc while the Institute is all about results.

If your motivated enough go for it, there is an air of competition with regular tests and homeworks which get you going but they won't force you. They give the classes, information and it's up to you to go and do the study.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

My personal opinion is that if you work, you can do well anywhere. I went to a tiny public school, we're not well known at all, my teachers didn't write any books but they were dedicated to anyone who wanted to succeed, and that's all you need.

Up to yourself, though. I've never gone to a grind school or a revision course so I can't judge them, but I think putting the work in yourself is more important than paying for fancy tuition.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

IMO it's not worth it... 6 people left my school to go there in fifth year.
    3 of them got in the 300s... But of course you never hear that. You just hear about the people who got over 500

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Only go to grinds or revision courses if you think that your own teacher can't help you, or you're having trouble comprehending something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

My personal opinion is that if you work, you can do well anywhere. I went to a tiny public school, we're not well known at all, my teachers didn't write any books but they were dedicated to anyone who wanted to succeed, and that's all you need.
    Yup, I was in the same boat. It doesn't matter if you're going to a public or private school - as long as you put in the necessary work you will do well.

I never did grinds or revision courses, and tbh I don't see the point in forking out huge amounts of money for them. Get grinds if you're finding difficulty with a subject, but don't go spending a bomb on them.
    If you're highly motivated and have your own study methods that work for you, you'd probably be better off studying and revising at home. Don't underestimate how much you can do on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

i went for 2years,got 280:rolleyes:i didnt put the work in so it was my fault,they give you the stuff you need to revise,its up to you to do it

• Advertisement
Advertisement