Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warlock levelling build?

Options
  • 16-08-2008 12:49pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just messing about with an alt lock i have,lvl 48 atm.
    Im just wondering about a decent build for levelling mostly solo.

Would going with the Fellguard be a good choice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

demonology

once u get the big red fella(fel guard) your motoring

when i first lvled my lock i didnt have access to fel guard so i went for afflic to lvl, took awhile to lvl

i cant think of the spec off hand but u will need the talent that gives ur pet mana back when u life tap, saves a lot of time and hassle while lvling with him

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Nice one,thanks for that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

yeah id go with demon for leveling too. I found it so easy. I found having high stam gear really helped aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

High affliction and use what is called "drain life tanking" with lots of dots including siphon life. Succubus pet with her spells turned off, once you get dark pact.

Once you hit 50, go for demonology for the felguard. Dont forget to get mana feed though!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

Have tested this myself and the best spec for levelling until you get your Fel Guard is definitely Affliction with 5 points in Demonology for extra stamina. After that its a toss up between either as they are both valid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

very tempted to roll a lock. never played one past about 20. would love to lvlwith a felguard though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭mocata

I spent weeks lvling a warrior to 20, not knowing anything about WoW. only made it all harder. Must say, lvling my Lock was far more enjoyable, gonna get him to 70 then try somthing different, maybe a druid. From the burst in activity on this forum, it seems that refer-a-friend was a great marketing move by blizzard, reviving jaded long-termers interest while encouraging newbies to get into game

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

I think it's more people are levelling alts to 70 before the expansion hits so that they can level whatever class seems best at 80. IMO :)

i didnt really enjoy using demonology, made the game too easy lol but i say wait till 60 and your in outlands to roll demon

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ok i just dinged 50 and plan on going with this build

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=IV0bZ0gczIizceszxx0z

So far ive put 41 into demon,insame damage i must say.

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    Ok i just dinged 50 and plan on going with this build

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=IV0bZ0gczIizceszxx0z

So far ive put 41 into demon,insame damage i must say.

id put 5 in demonic tactics , more crit chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

gino85 wrote: »
    id put 5 in demonic tactics , more crit chance

I wouldnt. That build that Dcully posted is perfect. Putting points into demonic tactics would sacrifice shadowburn/bane or imp life tap/imp, and all of those talents are far more superior to +5% crit chance on a pet. Losing the better demon talents would defeat the purpose of specing that far into it.

your probably right, when i was lvling i had a shadow preist lvling buddy so i pretty much dinged 70 quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

I think it's more people are levelling alts to 70 before the expansion hits so that they can level whatever class seems best at 80. IMO :)

Thats what I'm doing :D

Same here, from tonight im gonna rest my hunter as im not gonna improve its gear much before wotlk comes out, will try to gear up my lock some more, atleat 2 parts of t4 with any luck. Think im gonna concentrate on leveling my warrior and priest to 70. But then again started playing a rogue and their sooo much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lanfear

I've read through both threads on levelling locks, and find myself still unsure as to the right way to go. She is level 59 atm, http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Shadowsong&n=Bloodmaiden and I am not looking forward to going to outland with the VW as he has been holding aggro less and less. With the exception of getting boosted through 2 instances, and 3 PuGs for group quests, I have levelled completely solo and expect to continue this way.

Therefore, I was thinking that maybe respeccing to demon and getting a felguard might be a better idea than continuing with affl. I enjoy playing afflication though and would probably go back to it for end game raiding with my guild. I also have a level 68 hu pally (2 bars to 69!) who I am levelling like mad atm, as well a a 56 ne hunter and 7 others alts at various levels across both factions.

Any advice with the lock would be very welcome, please ignore her crap gear as I don't buy gear at the AH and only use what I pick up or make with my alts. Maybe when the pally hits 70 and I get rich I might be a bit more flathulach! :eek:

deffo go demon with the felguard for solo leveling. The void just isnt able to hold aggro even if you give it a good 10 second head start. Then as soon as your at 70 with some decent gear(650 minimum spell damage) (and remember the hit cap on aff is only 17 or something stupidly low, so stack spell haste and spell damage spell crit) go back to aff. It really does own in raids. SoC is awesome against large groups... thats if you stay alive form all the aggro. Up to boss fights i dont even use SB i just dot dot dot dot and rinse repeat and redo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Thoogun

its been a while for me but lv'ed 60/70 mostly as aff (tried a few other specs along the way). The awesome thing about aff is the syphon life heals for the damage done mostly so its run around and dot everything that you can, fear, HoT and loot. Having said that i was in a BWL guild so my lv 60 gear might have been better to start off.

Demon is good for lv'ing, but i miss (now destruction) the days of them mass farming mobs sessions that aff gives. outland is hard for all lv60s to start off with no matter what spec, if me id stick with aff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

Full out affliction is the spec I used when leveling, and it was pretty dam good. People complain about voidwalker not holding agro, but honestly the voidwalker should even be out. Imp for dark pact, and constant fears for keeping mobs off while the dots go on. You cause a ton more damage compaired to demonology and thus level a whole lot faster imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Yeah there are 2 ways to go with this. AOE grinding as such with full affliction tree - doing a mass fear and throwing the dots on, but things can go wrong sometimes. This doesn't work well in a tightly mob packed area. Also if your pet goes down (imp) you can't Dark Pact. Even if it's not a tight area, if you have too many mobs, you have to rememer that your mass fear has a relatively large CoolDown. Being able to do many mobs slowly isn't necessarily any better than being able to do 1 mob at a time very quickly.

SL/SL (siphon life, soul link) blending affliction and demonology seems to be the best one for leveling though. You can take up to usually 3 mobs at a time, and put them down pretty quickly. Because you're dotting them up with siphon life, even if you do enough damage to outagro your pet, the mob'll likely be dead by the time it reaches you, or only a life drain away from it. Soul link is great for damage mitigation, and even at the lower levels (sub 50) even if you out agro your Voidwalker on multiple mobs, you don't need to fear in an enclosed area - simply use your VW for a shield, and take the mobs down 1 at a time. As mentioned before, the Siphon life debuff along with drain life should mean you never go down.

Also when you switch to your Felguard between 50 and 60, it does a nice amount of damage where it could take multiple mobs out easily without you even touching them. Simply heal him, and he'll stay up indefinately.

• Advertisement
Advertisement