Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Dripping Through Light Fixture

• 16-08-2008 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Slates have come off my roof and we are waiting to get it fixed.

Today I noticed that water is dripping out of the light fitting in the bathroom. I'm not sure if its in the actual wires though.

Prob sounds like a silly question but would it be foolish to use the light in the bathroom? Just figured it may be okay if its not in the wires. I don't want to take the chance though just in case.

Any help appreciated. thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I wouldn't use it. Though in practice, all that would be likely to happen is that the circuit breaker would get tripped out assuming its a newish house or reasonably recently rewired.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Don't go near it, or the light switch. You should get an electrician in ASAP to take a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Thanks guys!! Ahhh what a pain in the arse!!

Glad i asked though.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Don't go near it, or the light switch. You should get an electrician in ASAP to take a look.

I second that, especially if you have foil backed plasterboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭muggyog

I'm not clear what an Electrician is going to do for the leak. Clearly the light should not be turned on or the switch touched until the leak is fixed but I think getting an Electrician is a bit of overkill. If the leak causes corrosion problems in the lightfitting at a later date then there might be a need.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

This evening, in the throes of the worst hangover known to man - memory escaped me and I turned the light on by mistake.

Nothing happened. Although it had stopped leaking by last night so maybe it dried out or something.

Anyway, i'm still alive and wasn't electrocuted. So its all good. :D

The roofer is calling me tomorrow - allegedly.

Thanks again all.

Advertisement