Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CLASSICS RESULTS!.

Options
  • 16-08-2008 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

To those minority of Classical Studies people out there..How did you get on.??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I think your on your own there :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Whimsical

I know..minority..only 4 of us took the exam in school..got an A1...had a fantastic teacher :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I got an E. It was fairly unfortunate - I missed most of fifth year due to illness, then not ONE of the predictions we got came up!!!

SURELY this year's Classics students are bound to get questions on the Battle of Granicus and the Parthenon? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭-Els-

I did it for Jc, almost certain I'm dropping it for LC. Liked some aspects of the course for JC, some sections were the bane of my life though (Troy and Mycenae particularly) I've heard the course is actually better for LC is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I too did it for the JC and i quite liked the content, however my teacher was absolutely DIRE, a sports coach who for some unknown reason was given a job. Killed all intrest in the subject, apparently the Leaving Cert course isnt bad, and not nearly as censored:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

I never done it for the JC, but can it be studied for the LC in one year as a extra subject…with grinds etc … :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

^ There are many courses on the leaving cert program which I would recommend picking up in one year. Classics is not one of them.

Honestly, the sheer volume of stuff to read will become unbelievably daunting, and will make studying a ridiculously long drawn out affair - you'll have to cut into time you need for other subjects unless you want to study 3-4 hours a night on weekdays - and that's if you're a fast reader, which I am...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

^ There are many courses on the leaving cert program which I would recommend picking up in one year. Classics is not one of them.

Honestly, the sheer volume of stuff to read will become unbelievably daunting, and will make studying a ridiculously long drawn out affair - you'll have to cut into time you need for other subjects unless you want to study 3-4 hours a night on weekdays - and that's if you're a fast reader, which I am...

Is it as broad is higher level history ??? or as hard ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

its very possible to not only cover it but do well in one year. thats why its commonly taught in private 6th year courses. i covered it fully in 5th year (i was put in the 6th year's class by mistake, my teacher didn't realise until teacher parent night haha) and just repeated myself in 6th but some friends got Bs and As from just 6th year. if you have a great interest in it then go for it. i'm after finishing my degree in classics/psych and i have to say loved every minute of classics, just wait until college it gets even better!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭crazygirl101

ihh.. i got an E... picked it up in 6th year...had a good teacher but none of his predictions came up... battle of granicus has to come up next year!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

Got a C3 this year, again! Getting bloody As all year and then bam.

Advertisement