Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh herbs

• 16-08-2008 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Where's the best place to get fresh herbs (in general, rather than specific locations). My local Tesco (where I do the majority of my food shop) only had some sorry looking mint batches and fennel. I was looking in the fruit and veg area, is that usually the right place. It's not something I've ever come across at my local farmer's market and the idea of a green grocer appears to have disappeared completely from urban Ireland.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I know Homebase sell them out in their gardening section. Some that I've transplanted have worked well and others, not so well.

Currently the only thing flourishing in my pots are the off cuts of rosemary from my mother's bush, but that's probably because she did it and she's the green fingered one in the family.

The stuff we've bought at parish sales and the like tends to have a good long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 jomag45

I think it's Lidl (or possibly Aldi) that has a kitchen herb kit going on sale next week. That looks like a reasonable way to have fresh herbs on demand. You'll probably pay just a little more for 5 or 6 herbs that you would for one of the packs in Tesco, that's probably been treated with who knows what to keep it from spoiling. You'll also have the satisfaction of having grown it yourself, and knowing you can't have any fresher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If you want to keep fresh cut herbs for longer, get some of those ziploc sandwich bags. Put herbs in bag. Sprinkle cold water over herbs. Seal bag. Store in the DOOR of the fridge (not the shelves, the door). They keep very well this way.

Advertisement