Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa Romeo 156 Drives for a few miles then cuts out

Options
  • 16-08-2008 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭

My Gf has a 2000 156
    it drives for a few miles cuts out and then wont start if you wait a few mins it starts again and then you get a few more miles out of it
    any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sounds somewhat similar to something that affected my fathrs old Omega. The engine temp sensor (the one that goes to the ECU) went kaput and was flooding the engine causing it to cut out when it got warm.
    You would really need a diagnosis done to clarify what exactly is going wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭NedKelly

there is no engine management light on though ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Is the car down on power at all? Or dows the engine just cut off after a few miles?

There wasn't a light lit on my fathers car (not saying that this is your issue). As far as his was concerned, the sensor wasn't out, hence no light.
    Wait and see what others suggest.

No when its going its perfect!
    just cuts out engine turns over but does not kick in
    i thought maybe fuel filer , fuel pump ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

We had a Corsa do something similar, wouldn't restart after journeys until car cooled down, coolant temprature sensor was gone haywire, engine management light never came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Sounds like it could be something as simple as a lambada sensor. try www.alfaowner.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 johndnn99

my sister had a similar problem turned out to be dirty fuel lines i think. such a nice looking car pity you cant get it with a jap engine

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

NedKelly wrote: »
    No when its going its perfect!
    just cuts out engine turns over but does not kick in
    i thought maybe fuel filer , fuel pump ?
    I had a similar problem lately with a Porsche 911, didn't cut out but used to lose power intermittently. Turned out (after a lot of messing) to be the fuel pump, replaced it and the car has run fine since.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

johndnn99 wrote: »
    my sister had a similar problem turned out to be dirty fuel lines i think. such a nice looking car pity you cant get it with a jap engine
    Never driven one, have you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

Had a similar problem with an Audi cabrio, it was the fuel filter. Sounds exactly the same too - went fine for a mile or two, then just cut out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 johndnn99

Anan1 wrote: »
    Never driven one, have you?

i tried it out a few times. went like a rocket but cost her a lot of money to keep it on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

What temp will the engine get to before it cuts out?
    Bluefoam wrote:
    Sounds like it could be something as simple as a lambada sensor

If it is one of the lambda sensors, it will cause problems after 70c as their is a temp sensor on the top of the engine that is used until the engine reaches full temperature. You can check to see if its one of the lambda sensors by disconnecting them and then running the car as normal.

how do i disconnect the lamda sensor ? its the 1.8 engine?
    where is it located
    i dont think its the fuel filter as it would be jerky when dribing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

had this problem with my 9000, leave her thickign oer for minutes and she cuts out, straight away, the oul lad took her for a spin upto dalky and she made it half way before pulling over,

coolant was blocked, completely stripped and cleaned the hole systhem and it work perfect, an omega engine in it afaik ( one of the many cars to use it )

Their is a 4 pin black connector for it on the driver side of the bulkhead.
    Just to let you know it will cause rubbish MPG and if used for to long this way can screw your cat up.
    lambdasensorl.jpg

and just unplug it ?
    ps thanks for the help

Unplug it while the car is off.
    Then start the car and let it warm up and see what happens.

Is their any backfiring from the car when warm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

My Gf has a 2000 156
    it drives for a few miles cuts out and then wont start if you wait a few mins it starts again and then you get a few more miles out of it
    any ideas?

Could be a faulty immobiliser. My renault did that, I got the immobiliser disconnected as a new one cost a fortune.

I dont think its the immobiliser as you can do 4-5 miles
    i will check the lamda sensor tomorrow
    and see thanks lads

• Advertisement

No doesnt backfire
    just cuts out !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Basically its your crank sensor as it comes up to the correct temp. It's a pretty common fault on 156 engines and this sensor is usually the culprit. Cost is about the €75 IIRC.

It's housed near the back of the starter motor but if your not sure what your doing bring it to a garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Yep typical crank sensor failure.

How are you so sure its the crank sensor?
    someone else is positive its the lamda sensor
    surly if the crank sensor was faulty the timing would be out and the engine management light would come on ?

surly if the crank sensor was faulty the timing would be out and the engine management light would come on ?

Not sure if the crank sensor causes the engine light to come on, dont think it does when its failing intermittantly. When the sensor cools the resistance is altered so it works again. Fiddley job bit the part is only around 40 quid. Alfa garage should fit it in half an hour or so. I don't think a faulty lambda would cause it to cut out. If you have a look at alfaowner.com its been talked about at length. Almost every single case of alfas cutting out when up to temperature and not starting until they cool have been crank sensors!

I think before the OP goes out and buys several sensors on the basis of what has been mentioned in this thread, a proper diagnosis should be done on the car! It amy well be the crank sensor but no point going on a wild goosechase!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

If it was a faulty lamba your engine light would defo be coming on and you'd be experiencing some rough idling to boot.

Reason I'm so sure (though obviously I'm not standing in front of it) is that this is a VERY , very typical and VERY well documented Alfa engine fault going by your description and the cause of this fault is the crank / RPM / TDI sensor (has a couple of names but does the same thing).
    kbannon wrote: »
    I think before the OP goes out and buys several sensors on the basis of what has been mentioned in this thread, a proper diagnosis should be done on the car! It amy well be the crank sensor but no point going on a wild goosechase!

100% agree which is why I said in my first post
    miju wrote: »
    ....if your not sure what your doing bring it to a garage.

Its awkward enough to change anyway. Best suggestion is to take it to the garage and suggest you think its the crank sensor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

My Gf has a 2000 156
    any ideas?

I had the same make & model in for the same/similar problem. It turned out to be the accelerator position sensor and also the throttle position sensor. Car would go for a few miles, then go into "limp home" mode...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

kbannon wrote: »

+1, I could pull DTC's that indicated what the problem was in my case...

Advertisement