Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning Nihongo in Nihon

Options
  • 16-08-2008 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I'm consdiering taking an extended trip to Japan next year. My original idea was to go over for about 6 weeks and use Japan as a sort of base for visiting Asia, etc. But now I think I'll scale back slightly on that plan. I'm now thinking of going over and doing an intensive language course while over there. Looking around, I won't get one in 6 weeks, 10-12 seems to be about the average, but that's fine too.

My questions are

1. Are these courses any good? I'm guessing having the intensity of school every day and then being immersed in the language at all other times would be an excellent way to learn

2. Any recommended courses and/or schools out there? I've googled repeatedly and found a few places, but word of mouth goes a long way here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Sounds like a great plan. Try to learn as much conversational Japanese as you can before you go (obviously) in order to make maximum use of your time.

Total immersion is an exhausting experience though. I had pretty good Japanese before I moved to Japan, and I still found the first few weeks very tiring. You might bring along some English reading material (or a laptop) to avoid burning out.

I took private lessons rather than a group class, so I don't have a recommended school, but one thing you should be able to find pretty easily if you're staying in a city is English-Japanese conversation exchange. This is an interesting way to make new friends (and, to be quite blunt (but honest), get laid! :eek:) in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

If you're looking for intensive language learning, it's probably best to avoid group classes too. Not because of the material being taught, but because if you're mixing with a group of native English speakers, it will greatly affect your motivation to and confidence in speaking Japanese.

Have you considered a home-stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Have you considered a home-stay?

Presumably that's where you lodge in someone's house for your stay and speak as they speak (much like a horrible experience I had in the Gaelthact in my early teens :() It sounds like a good idea though, from reading up about it. Add to that conversation exchanges that Fruitlover er recommends and it might actually turn out cheaper than a set course?

On top of that, I'd have the freedom to go and do as I please for those times when I'm not learning.

Fruitlover, where would I find out more about these exchanges before I go over?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I found my lessons on a noticeboard in a Tokyo ryokan :) Any local classified ads papers or websites will tend to have language exchange ads in them. E.g. http://www.japan-guide.com/local/jp/105/?aCAT=3

Home-stay is interesting, and well worth doing if you get the chance. Families who have hosted students before will be aware and understanding of your limitations and lack of knowledge of Japanese customs, etiquette, etc. You'll see first-and the similarities and differences between Japanese and western home life.

(Although TBH, the parents of the family I stayed with were more interested in practicing their English, so I ended up speaking more Japanese with the kids than the adults! :p)

Advertisement