Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to Eircom in Letterkenny.

Options
  • 16-08-2008 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

Exactly as the title suggests,

I find it totally unacceptable that letterkenny isnt being upgraded until "post september" so im voting with my feet, yet small hamlets within walking distance of the town are.

Theres quiet a few alternatives but i like some imput as to whats the best for my needs. Not insterested in any resold bitstream porducts as it'll be what ill have already.

Smart - big worried about apparent problems with speed issues in the town and there backhaul link between exhchange and the MAN.

Digiweb Metro - again worried about it being a wireless product and the issues related to that. anyone know were the node is located in the town? average ping times?

Important to have a good ping time for gaming and a good throughput for downloading and surfing.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

jimmeh wrote: »
    Exactly as the title suggests,

I find it totally unacceptable that letterkenny isnt being upgraded until "post september" so im voting with my feet, yet small hamlets within walking distance of the town are.

Theres quiet a few alternatives but i like some imput as to whats the best for my needs. Not insterested in any resold bitstream porducts as it'll be what ill have already.

Smart - big worried about apparent problems with speed issues in the town and there backhaul link between exhchange and the MAN.

Digiweb Metro - again worried about it being a wireless product and the issues related to that. anyone know were the node is located in the town? average ping times?

Important to have a good ping time for gaming and a good throughput for downloading and surfing.

The backhaul upgrade for Smart was completed a few days ago.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I had Smart in LK up until a few months ago. It was always good for me, considering i was quite far from exchange (Glencar Scotch). Only problem I had was disconnections with a crap Netgear router. Was stable with the Aolynk sent by Smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

mate of mine is using digiweb in LK gets pings of 20 and has 10mbps downloads

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

lmimmfn wrote: »
    mate of mine is using digiweb in LK gets pings of 20 and has 10mbps downloads

It depends where you are pinging though.

Smart here is 40ms to jolt.co.uk. Best of all though is the lack of a cap.
    Other irish servers have pings from 25-30 ms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

It depends where you are pinging though.

Smart here is 40ms to jolt.co.uk. Best of all though is the lack of a cap.
    Other irish servers have pings from 25-30 ms.
    ahh yeah i know, sorry should have said boards.ie with my 3mb connection im getting pings of 48 to boards.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement