Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

L-driver with Full License holder in car.

Options
  • 16-08-2008 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

ok, alot of people are all for this new enforcement of the law.. but whats the advantages?

the only thing that i can think of is advice on roundabouts if learner driver is nervous.. apart from that, what other ways does it help on a day to day basis? i don't think i'd be much safer if my parents were there...

btw, this isn't an argument, i just need some convincing.. we've all been passengers for 10-15 years so we know the rules of the road by now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I think it's to try to restrict the number of boy-racers that can actually be out legally...Instead of four 17 year olds in the car, they are hoping that there are responsible drivers accompanying them (i.e. the licensed driver)

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

To stop young drivers just getting in a car with the learner permit and never having driven before and just driving off which is dam right dangerous to everyone on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

the new laws are a good thing overall but the way they we implimented was a bad thing, the government should be teaching teenagers the rules of the road at school, perhaps make it part of the LC so if they pass they get a learners permit at the end of it and maybe later on bring in a driving test, also learners should be restricted in the size on the car they can drive, altho my first car was a 1.9tdi which i learned to drive in lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭turf

gino85 wrote: »
    the new laws are a good thing overall but the way they we implimented was a bad thing, the government should be teaching teenagers the rules of the road at school, perhaps make it part of the LC so if they pass they get a learners permit at the end of it and maybe later on bring in a driving test

thats a good idea.. think there was somethin along those lines in my transition year modules.

im turnin 21 in 2 weeks and i'm an accountant who needs to get to work in the mornings through winter.. i know my mum sittin next to me wont make the journey any safer so its pretty annoyin. im not boy racer material and am actually a good driver..

are many L drivers gettin caught cause of this new strictness?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

I am tired of full licence holders saying that young drivers with learner permit are getting behind the wheel staight after the theory test are dangerous and hazard to everyone.

Now how many of you full licence holders did you 10 lessons drove with expirience driver as a passenger before getting behind the wheel by yourself.

The biggest fear I have when on the road is old folks who cant see,hear or react to situation in appropriate manner or speed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

gino85 wrote: »
    the government should be teaching teenagers the rules of the road at school, perhaps make it part of the LC so if they pass they get a learners permit at the end of it and maybe later on bring in a driving test, also learners should be restricted in the size on the car they can drive, altho my first car was a 1.9tdi which i learned to drive in lol

Had I learned to drive in school it would have been the most useful thing I ever learned there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

SmokyMo wrote: »
    Now how many of you full licence holders did you 10 lessons drove with expirience driver as a passenger before getting behind the wheel by yourself.
    Many of us passed the test and obtained a driving licence before getting a car!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I am tired of full licence holders saying that young drivers with learner permit are getting behind the wheel staight after the theory test are dangerous and hazard to everyone.

The biggest fear I have when on the road is old folks who cant see,hear or react to situation in appropriate manner or speed.

I didnt do the ten lessons as such but I was thought by my girlfriend who thought me to drive the right way and done many hours of driving with her. I couldnt afford all the lessons but I realised the responsibility involved with driving on the road and wanted to learn the right way which i did with the help of the girlfriend teaching me (also very confident and responsible driver) as well as getting to know the rule of the road very well.

I am sorry but young drivers do get in the car after passing the test, i know a few that have and they aint great drivers.

I agree that olde drivers can also be a hazard but so are some young drivers. From my experiences on the road the majority of drivers that drive bad on the road and have been close to causing an accident with me have been young drivers, and my god will people check their blind spot before changing lanes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Same here.

You can get all the experience you like after learning how to do the basics right first and passing.

You are still a learner for at least the first 100,000 miles as my instructor told me.

My biggest fear is the multitude of young and old on our roads who think they are great drivers yet can't even follow the simplest of rules or use the slightest common sense.
    In the UK I could identify the usual suspects - Sunday drivers, boy racers, white van drivers and a few others.

Here it is across the board, there is not one category of drivers significantly better than others, many who drive for a living on a daily basis are no better than the worst boy racers, many journey truck drivers are no better than the most amateur rented white van drivers.
    As a nation we are a lazy, could do a lot better bunch of C- drivers with an attitude to match.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭turf

wil wrote: »
    As a nation we are a lazy, could do a lot better bunch of C- drivers with an attitude to match.

for some reason i picture nicolas cage sayin that..

ok back on topic, not about if L drivers are good or not.. but how does havin the extra driver help?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭ec18

turf wrote: »
    for some reason i picture nicolas cage sayin that..

ok back on topic, not about if L drivers are good or not.. but how does havin the extra driver help?
    The reason for the extra driver is

They have shown themselves to be a competent driver on the roads. and are there to provide help and guidance and to inform the LEARNER driver if they are doing something wrong.

They have more experience and so can see some obstacles/obstructions that the learner may not.

And finally it's the law and just cause you're not convinced doesn't mean that IF you drive un accompanied you could face a very large fine and possibly penalty points(?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

Some elderly drivers can be major hazard. One time I ended up on the inner circle of a roundabout because there was an old lady in a mirca who hadn't a notion what was going on around her. I was in the right lane because I was taking the 3rd exit, she was also taking the 3rd exit but came in beside me in the left lane. She didn't even see I was there, she started to move into my lane slowly, and didn't stop. So rather than have her slam into the side of my car I had to drive up into the grass on the round about. I looked to see did she notice. Nope! not a blink out of her, she just doddled off down the road. Her head barely poking over the steering wheel!

But on the other hand my Grand father is in his 80's now and he's a brilliant driver. Not a bother on him, knows his rules, positions, roundabout lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

I presume it is to point out your faults and to scream if you do something dangerous. There is nothing to distinguish an L-driver who sat behind a wheel for the first time ever this morning and the (increasingly common, it seems) L driver who "is a really good driver, really, just haven't got round to doing the test yet". The purpose of the experienced driver is to tell you that red light means stop or make sure you are in the right lane at a roundabout, etc. I know the theory test is supposed to evaluate that but there can be a big difference in theory and practice!

Also, when you are learning, it can be difficult to concentrate on directions and so on with so much else going on, so I personally found it very useful to have another person to look out for the correct turn-off while I was learning, or just observing the road in case you miss a warning sign or something. Obviously, you need to be able to do this safely and competently yourself, but it is definitely a help in the beginning. Personally, I think it is a very good system and that the old system was completely crazy. Presumably the idea is now that someone will only be an L driver for a year or so and will concentrate on learning / reinforcing skills each time he/she gets in the car, unlike under the old system where people could go on for years and years without sitting the test. Presumably other people will get pretty sick of having to accompany you all the time and so encourage you to become fully skilled and concentrate on passing your test!

Obviously it isn't ideal, your accompaning person may be a total disaster of a driver and not be up-to-date with the rules of the road but sure, they have to start reforming the system somewhere. Personally, I think the British system is a very good model for learning, i.e. you can only drive with a qualified instructor and so you are learning intensively each time you go out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

wil wrote: »
    Same here.

You can get all the experience you like after learning how to do the basics right first and passing.

You are still a learner for at least the first 100,000 miles as my instructor told me.

I'd go as far as to say that your a learner all your life, there's always something new that will happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

30 lessons coz i couldn't get my own car, then i got my own car 3 months before my test and did another 10 in my own car before the test
    the only thing that i can think of is advice on roundabouts if learner driver is nervous..

hell half the licensed drivers don't know how to use a roundabout if the daily antics i see in swords are anything to go by. apparently lane discipline is a thing of the past

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

we've all been passengers for 10-15 years so we know the rules of the road by now.
    Many people driving for years don't know the rules so the government cannot assume that passengers would be fully knowledgeable of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

me

ok, alot of people are all for this new enforcement of the law.. but whats the advantages?
    It's a restriction. A restriction that effectively didnt exist before.

Now there actually is a difference between having a full Irish licence and not having any.
    . we've all been passengers for 10-15 years so we know the rules of the road by now.
    I've flown many times over many years.
    Still havent a clue about the rules of the air.

Funny, you'd think I'd simply absorb them by osmosis.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

I agree with the guy back there that said most drivers dont know the rules of the roundabout. Got insured on my mams car yesterday. Me and Dad were out for a spin. I was taking the 2nd exit so I was on the outside lane. Now its not a massive roundabout, but theres 3 roads off it and 2 lanes on it so I presume the same rules apply. So like I said, I was taking the 2nd exit. passed the 1st, stuck on the indicator, checked left mirror. A feckin porsche slams into the side of me on the right hand side. I had to laugh, yer man got out and started roaring at me. I simply took out my phone and rang the gards. They took photos and details, havent heard anything yet but i presume im not to blame. Just shows though!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    I agree with the guy back there that said most drivers dont know the rules of the roundabout. Got insured on my mams car yesterday. Me and Dad were out for a spin. I was taking the 2nd exit so I was on the outside lane. Now its not a massive roundabout, but theres 3 roads off it and 2 lanes on it so I presume the same rules apply. So like I said, I was taking the 2nd exit. passed the 1st, stuck on the indicator, checked left mirror. A feckin porsche slams into the side of me on the right hand side. I had to laugh, yer man got out and started roaring at me. I simply took out my phone and rang the gards. They took photos and details, havent heard anything yet but i presume im not to blame. Just shows though!!
    What does it show you?
    You have given us your version of events and I'm sure the Porky driver would give us a slightly different version.
    However, that aside, hopefully nobody was hurt (excluding egos) and that your insurance company have been notified of the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Well I was doing evrything I was told to do in a lesson just an hour before hand. He was completly in the wrong. He tried shooting up past me to get off the roundabout, despite me turning off the roundabout and nowhere for him to go. Yep insurance companies were informed. But this guy was supposedly a fully qualified driver, yet he didn know what lane he should be in on a roundabout. Suppose it shows that learners arent the only ones that should be supervised.

Advertisement