Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Barefoot...

Options
  • 16-08-2008 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Hey Everyone. I have been driving now for around 3 months and had at the start always sat really slose to the steering wheel and kept a certain pair of runners in the car for driving.

I had been advised that I should sit a bit further back in the car, which Im doing now and its really helping, and also that driving barefoot is a good idea.

I have tried the barefoot thing on my last couple of journeys and have to say I found it very comfortable, and also found i had increased control over accelleration/ braking etc.

I have heard however that it might be illegal (though I cant find anything in the internet to back this up) or at least frowned upon. I dont want to get into the habit of driving barefoot and then have to wear shoes for my test.

Do many people drive barefoot? Are there any specific dangers? Any legal issues?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

What madness is this? :eek:

Issues, well in an accident you're going to get hurt as your feet slam and scrape into the pedals.
    It doesn't matter if you get hit from the front, side or from behind, this will be an issue for you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭cml387

We had this debate some weeks ago.

Can you bear to press down with all your might on the brake pedal (obviously try this when stopped)?

You will need to in the event of an emergency stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

You can do your driving test in your bare feet so I doubt its illegal...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

cml387 wrote: »
    We had this debate some weeks ago.

Can you bear to press down with all your might on the brake pedal (obviously try this when stopped)?

You will need to in the event of an emergency stop.

Sorry for repeating so- I had a look but countnt find another post.

I'll try the braking thing- I'm certainly fine for normal braking. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

There is nothing on the law books concerning driving bare foot. I sometimes do it myself and it does feel a lot better than when wearing shoes/runners.

However as it has already been said it could prove disasterous if you are involved in a collision with an increased risk of injury to your feet. If you have ever been in a serious accident you will know that you will probaby not be able to simply put on your runners and get out 'cos there is a chance they will be gone out the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Weird.. very weird.

Just put on some shoes.. jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

your not an other from the TV show Lost are you??

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

Yea not illegal but dangerous, as already said you wont have the same force on the brake pedal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

The idea of driving with socks and shoes on is it keeps your feet dry and gripped to pedals. Driving in barefeet ,particularly in summer or warm heated car is dangerous as your skin becomes sweaty and slippy and you will not have adequete grip on pedals. Flip flops are even worse as they are loose on foot and more likely to slip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

i posted about this awhile ago as I was curious about the same thing

Advertisement