Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

tesco motor oil

Options
  • 16-08-2008 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭

Any good?

2 Litre around 5.99 euro and 4 L around 25 euro. Is motor oil motor oil or do brands matter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

doesn't sound particularly cheap to me. what matters is the specification of the oil, and whether it matches your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭April Raine

colm_mcm wrote: »
    doesn't sound particularly cheap to me. what matters is the specification of the oil, and whether it matches your car.
    I paid 7 euro for a litre of havoline last week

thought you said €5.99 for 1 litre of Tesco.

why would you pay €25 for 4 litres of it you can get 2 litres for €5.99?

thought you said €5.99 for 1 litre of Tesco.

why would you pay €25 for 4 litres of it you can get 2 litres for €5.99?
    I think i made a mistake. 2 Litre for around 5.99 and 4 for around 25. One was partly synthetic and the other fully

Is there a difference in price in shell ultra and shell professional. i got charged 18 euro for a litre of ultra couple months ago but when i asked about price yesterday she showed me pro and said 11 euro per litre. What is a good price per l? Thanks

What kind of car do you drive?

• Advertisement

What kind of car do you drive?
    1995 fiesta clasic 1.3

no need to use anything special like synthetic oil in that case. that engine is very old tech. any ould stuff once it meets Fords minimum spec. Motor factors have cheaper oil that will do fine.

no need to use anything special like synthetic oil in that case. that engine is very old tech. any ould stuff once it meets Fords minimum spec. .
    tesco stuff would be ok then? I seem to be losing oil a lot needs a topping up a lot but no evidence of a leak or no blue smoke like burning - I think that is what the blue smoke means. Thanks for that info
    Motor factors have cheaper oil that will do fine
    cheaper than tesco?

yup, the 4 litre bottle should be definately cheaper than that. it'll only be a few € though,

My grandfather used to drive Fords that all seemed to burn oil, he used to use Duckhams oil that was a little thicker than the usual stuff. there is also an additive you can get to cut down on oil being burnt, used to use it myself when I went through my Italian car phase!

Any idea on how much oil you're getting through, relative to your mileage?

yup, the 4 litre bottle should be definately cheaper than that. it'll only be a few € though,
    ok thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

generic 15w40 is about €14 for 5 litres in my local mf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

LIDL on Thursday 21 Aug have W5 own-brand Motor oil.
    15W-40 "High alloyed"(?) 5L for 14.99,
    5W-40 "Synthetic based" for 3.99 per litre.
    Load of stuff Thursday if you are into keeping your motor shiny (I am not) - including "bird-droppings remover" spray!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Can't see that oil on either the NI or ROI site? Good stuff anyway - the full synthetic meets the VAG reqts.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Personally, I'd want to be 100% sure that it meets the specs of the engine before pouring it in. OK, on the OP's Fiesta it should be grand, but I'd want to be sure before putting it into a modern HDI/TDI type motor. Modern turbos don't tolerate inferior grade oils.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

interesting thread.. I drive a 99 bora, and i have to put 1 litre of oil a week/about 300 miles into it! I keep it serviced and dont drive it hard at all.
    is this normal??
    I'll be headin to lidl on thursday!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

stek wrote: »
    interesting thread.. I drive a 99 bora, and i have to put 1 litre of oil a week/about 300 miles into it! I keep it serviced and dont drive it hard at all.
    is this normal??
    Sounds like your consumption is on the high side. Best to get the problem addressed rather than constantly topping up.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Personally, I'd want to be 100% sure that it meets the specs of the engine before pouring it in. OK, on the OP's Fiesta it should be grand, but I'd want to be sure before putting it into a modern HDI/TDI type motor. Modern turbos don't tolerate inferior grade oils.
    Not sure if this is the Lidl oil referred to above, as their website does not show any oil on sale next Thursday. I bought it there last time they had oil on sale, and did a bit of googling on it. Here are the details:

Motor Gold 5W40 Supertec Synthetic Motor Oil is approved by the leading OEMs, and meets ACEA A3/B3, A4/B4, API SL/CF, BMW Longlife-98, MB229.3, Opel GM-LL-B-025, Porsche, VW-Norm 502 00, 505 00

A good general read on oil I found: http://www.kelsey-forums.co.uk/cgi-bin/cmm/YaBB.pl?num=1202386435

And the old reliable Car Bible: http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I don't know much about that tesco stuff for 25 euro / 4 litre. I do know I used Castrol Magnatec 10/40W and 4 Litres of that cost me just under 30 euro in halfords. I think I will stick with castrol thank you.
    is this normal??

That is a serious amount of oil. Some cars when they are tired and old may use 1L / 1000 or 2000 miles and even that would be quite alot. If you are using 1L / 300miles I'd seriously get that checked out. You could be looking at bad piston rings or HG failure or bad valve stem seals. Whats the millage on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

VH wrote: »
    generic 15w40 is about €14 for 5 litres in my local mf

I envy you, I use 0w30 and it's €79 for 4 litres:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

is this normal??

Is it the 1.4L engine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Those Mk4 1.4 Golf & Bora's seem to have a fierce problem with their oil consumption.

VW Bora, 1.4l petrol, 97k miles. the timing belt went at 80k(long story) got the head fixed, cost a fortune..
    but even before this it was using the same amount.
    no visible signs of any leaks..
    a friend of mine has the same car and he says he uses about 1l oil a month..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

VW Bora, 1.4l petrol, 97k miles. the timing belt went at 80k(long story) got the head fixed, cost a fortune..
    but even before this it was using the same amount.
    no visible signs of any leaks..
    a friend of mine has the same car and he says he uses about 1l oil a month..

Ah, that sounds like piston rings so. For some reason I thought you were talking about a TDI bora. The 1.4 16v VAG engine is fairly well known to absoloutly drink oil with high millage on it. Bad piston rings - drinks oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭colsers22

HungryJoey wrote: »
    Ah, that sounds like piston rings so. For some reason I thought you were talking about a TDI bora. The 1.4 16v VAG engine is fairly well known to absoloutly drink oil with high millage on it. Bad piston rings - drinks oil.

I'm having the same problem with my 1.4 16v Golf. It's burning approx 1L of oil per 1000 miles. The VW dealer where I purchased the car (only 3 months ago) says that the Golf is "allowed that much." Sounds like total BS to me.. I mentioned that I read that this could be the piston rings. He's going to check the oil levels after every 500 for the next 1500 miles. He'll have a look into it. Not holding out much faith, but at least they're doing something, I suppose.
    The car is going great, but I would never think this was normal.
    Anyway, this seems to be a wipespread problem as there are several threads where this VW oil consumption issue crops up.
    *off to Lidl to stock up*

esel wrote: »
    ^ Can't see that oil on either the NI or ROI site? Good stuff anyway - the full synthetic meets the VAG reqts.
    You mean the lidl oil? It is in the catalog and on sale tomorow See http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20088090.p.EngineOil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

colsers22 wrote: »
    I'm having the same problem with my 1.4 16v Golf. It's burning approx 1L of oil per 1000 miles. The VW dealer where I purchased the car (only 3 months ago) says that the Golf is "allowed that much." Sounds like total BS to me.. I mentioned that I read that this could be the piston rings. He's going to check the oil levels after every 500 for the next 1500 miles. He'll have a look into it. Not holding out much faith, but at least they're doing something, I suppose.
    The car is going great, but I would never think this was normal.
    Anyway, this seems to be a wipespread problem as there are several threads where this VW oil consumption issue crops up.
    *off to Lidl to stock up*

If I were you I'd be doing my best to give the car back while you still can. I'd get the dealer to do a compression test and see how i compaires to VW specs. This is a problem that will only get worse, not better. Contrary to what people say on boards, 1L of oil per 1000miles IS excessive. Theres also plenty of stories there of people with blown 1.4 vag cars on boards if you do a search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭colsers22

Ferris wrote: »
    If I were you I'd be doing my best to give the car back while you still can. I'd get the dealer to do a compression test and see how i compaires to VW specs. This is a problem that will only get worse, not better. Contrary to what people say on boards, 1L of oil per 1000miles IS excessive. Theres also plenty of stories there of people with blown 1.4 vag cars on boards if you do a search.

Thanks for the advice..

Thanks for the advice..piston rings, how much to get fixed?
    thanks again

You mean the lidl oil? It is in the catalog and on sale tomorow See http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20088090.p.EngineOil
    Thanks! I didn't see the separate link for Car Care http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20088090.index They have the synthetic oil I mentioned above too. Might stock up again!

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Hi,

Just wondering which Oil I should be using for a 2002 Ford Focus?

Can I just pour the oil straight in or are other steps involved?

Advertisement