Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appeals?

Options
  • 16-08-2008 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

In the leaving I picked up 355 points which was about 20 points lower than my expectations.
    After looking at my results I realised that there was definately something wrong with Economics (which should have been a High C or a low B) but ended up as a D3. I felt like I definatley honoured in the exam.

Now, here is my problem:

I get to view my script on the 29th of August.
    That's after I accept Round One.

If my appeal goes through and it turns out that my points are much higher, and that I then have enough for my number one choice, what happens?
    Will it be too late?

I don't want to wait until next year.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭thatone!

I was just about to ask the same question. I'm out by 5 points for my course so I am appealing french. I'm guessing though that the colleges would facilitate these appeals ( at least I hope so :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

I went down to my school with the recheck form today, as i want to get english rechecked, while talking to the person dealing with this down there, they said that even if you go up a grade or w/e that it makes no difference to the cao and your college choice for this year and you'd have to wait and apply again next year for the additional points to be recognised.
    (quoted from the recheck thread)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 pedanticwretch

In the leaving I picked up 355 points which was about 20 points lower than my expectations.
    After looking at my results I realised that there was definately something wrong with Economics (which should have been a High C or a low B) but ended up as a D3. I felt like I definatley honoured in the exam.

Now, here is my problem:

I get to view my script on the 29th of August.
    That's after I accept Round One.

If my appeal goes through and it turns out that my points are much higher, and that I then have enough for my number one choice, what happens?
    Will it be too late?

I don't want to wait until next year.

Thanks in advance.

Take the positive firstly, if you find on the day of viewing the script that Economics was in fact added up wrong or mis-totaled then you receive an instant upgrade.
    If you get it re-checked and upgraded you will know by mid to late October, the disadvantage of this is that you are way behind the course if you get into it. Also the course will more than likely full up because their aim is to fill places, but they do hold a place for next year.
    Your only REAL chance is that it was added up wrong and the very fact that you got the lowest possible grade without failing improves your chances of an upgrade ten-fold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Take the positive firstly, if you find on the day of viewing the script that Economics was in fact added up wrong or mis-totaled then you receive an instant upgrade.
    If you get it re-checked and upgraded you will know by mid to late October, the disadvantage of this is that you are way behind the course if you get into it. Also the course will more than likely full up because their aim is to fill places, but they do hold a place for next year.
    Your only REAL chance is that it was added up wrong and the very fact that you got the lowest possible grade without failing improves your chances of an upgrade ten-fold.

you've made me a happy man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

If you are informed in mid-October that you have been upgraded and the upgrade means that you would have had sufficient points to gain a place on a course not already offered to you then you must be granted a place on this course. You can then choose to take up the place immediately and try and catch up on the work or alternatively you can choose to defer the place until next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I know how you feel! I was aiming for an A1 in economics and got a c3... many others in my class have the same problem!

Anyway if you do get upgraded in october and have enough points for your course you MUST be offered a place. Eg if you currently have 345 and your course is 350 and when you are upgraded your points now stand at 350 you MUST be offered a place on your course. It is the exam commission's fault, not yours. The only exception is if your course has a * beside it. as your know this means not everyone with 350 got in. In this scenario your random number from CAO will be compared with the random number of the last person to recieve a place. If yours is higher then you recieve a place...

Hope this helps!

Advertisement