Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Water leaking into Volkswagen footwell after rain

Options
  • 16-08-2008 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hopefully someone can help. My 99 polo leaks rainwater into the driver footwell after a heavy shower. Has been bad lately with the classic Irish weather. It drips in somewhere close to the clutch and accumulates on the mat. Not a river or anything! (Yet!) I know of another VW owner who has had similar problems lately, and his seems worse than mine. Trouble is, I dont know where to look to sort it. I presume the drains may be blocked possibly by leaves etc.

Can anyone shed some light? Would it cost much to have a garage look at it and clear the drains?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

FedFrank2 wrote: »
    Hopefully someone can help. My 99 polo leaks rainwater into the driver footwell after a heavy shower. Has been bad lately with the classic Irish weather. It drips in somewhere close to the clutch and accumulates on the mat. Not a river or anything! (Yet!) I know of another VW owner who has had similar problems lately, and his seems worse than mine. Trouble is, I dont know where to look to sort it. I presume the drains may be blocked possibly by leaves etc.

Can anyone shed some light? Would it cost much to have a garage look at it and clear the drains?
    Do you have a sunroof

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Clean out the plenumb chamber - it's under the windscreen and it's where the wiper mechanism is located. Leaves and other debris can get caught and cause the chamber to fill with rain water which can enter the cabin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

FedFrank2 wrote: »

Sounds like the seal on the bottom of the door, happens on the Seat Leon too .. water pisses up wards when you drive through a puddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭FedFrank2

Dont have a sunroof and the water definitely drips in near the clutch. Have seen it come in through there and not through the seal at the bottom of the door.

Cheers crosstownk that sounds like what might be causing it. Whats the best way to get at it - does the plastic bit under the bonnet at the window wipers etc come out easily?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Yeah - lift up the rubber seal that runs along the chamber, then remove the plastic cover. It's also worth checking to see if your pollen filter housing is fitted correctly - if it's not it can let water in but usually this happens on the passenger side.

Remove no.27 and various no.14 as illustrated below.

819300yt1.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement