Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking Up Economics

Options
  • 16-08-2008 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

I've done Business did pritty well considering I didn't have a teacher for the year just wondering if theres a big crossover between Business and Economics and would you say it would be possible to do it in a year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Im not doing business so I cant really comment on its similarities with Economics. Yup, there is no problem taking it up and studying it in one year. The course is very short compared to other leaving cert subjects. I did it in 5th year in Bruce College in Cork, with a fantastic teacher and we had the course covered by St. Patrick's Day, leaving plenty time for revision. It's an extremely easy subject to get a high grade in if you even just spend half an hour studying every week however its not a subject that you can bull**** your way through because your answering has to be exact and precise, so learn it well the first time around and you will be grand. I did the pre in it this year and got 93% which I was delighted about, so Im really confindent about the real exam in 09.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭spillit67

I didnt get below an A1 for 2 years and came out of the exam thinking, ye either an A or at least B1. Right kick up the ass-C1, I dont even know how. Be warned they are absolute pricks at marking it. I got my points but feel i should have got over an C1, i was almost certain that would be my only A and it wasnt but i managed 4 others i felt i didnt do great in the exams in. I'm not trying to put you of cos its a great subject, short and precise. Just be warned that it does throw up strange results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

After just doing the LC and got a B3 in economics..I think it is a good course to do and broad and useful for many business related activities.However i dont think you would be able to do it in one year..I went to CSN in cork and my teacher was a slogger to say the least,but the course is really long and in my opinion comparable to subjects like history.Although the entire course is really long,the way the exam is made out makes it very doable.There are 6 short questions, 8 long questions and you do 4 in the LC.There are 2 sections in the LC,Micro and macro economics and usually the exam is broken into 4 micro and 4 macro.personally i dont like micro economics and the way the exam its layed out,it allowed me to study macro in dept and 'skim' through definitions in micro for the short questions.Out of the 3 business subjects id say economics is the most useful of the 3 and i hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

I wouldnt really say business would help you with economics, having economics is more likely to help you with business. I did economics outside school, got classes from christmas of sixth year and got an A1. I adored it, its a fantastic subjecvt. Its really really practical and logical, once you have a basic understanding you can just use your brain and reason things out. It was my favourite subject. The course isnt that long, very manageable. If you do take it up, make sure you get all the marking schemes around easter and learn from them. The questions repeat a lot, and while the answers are very short, you have to be precise. Good Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

Fuascailt wrote: »
    I wouldnt really say business would help you with economics, having economics is more likely to help you with business. I did economics outside school, got classes from christmas of sixth year and got an A1. I adored it, its a fantastic subjecvt. Its really really practical and logical, once you have a basic understanding you can just use your brain and reason things out. It was my favourite subject. The course isnt that long, very manageable. If you do take it up, make sure you get all the marking schemes around easter and learn from them. The questions repeat a lot, and while the answers are very short, you have to be precise. Good Luck!

Respect!

Did you only decide to take it at Christmas in 6th year or had you been doing on your own at home beforehand?

Regardless, an A1 in an extra curricular subject shows some impressive skillz.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Uncle Joe

I also picked up economics last october outside of school,(i realised i was on my way to failing higher German so made the drop and picked up economics),anyway i did it on friday nights for a hour and a half in the institute in town,came out with a B1 in the end which i was happy with.

Anyway if you are thinking of taking up a extra subject yeah economics is easy,interesthing and short.You only have to learn about 50%of the course to get a A as its very predictable.I did business and while it helped (there are some crossovers and they have similiar answering styles) you would be ok without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭deleriumtremens

i didnt do business for my leaving so i dont know about how it compares to economics, but i can assure u that if ur goin to try and do a subject in one year, economics is a good idea!! for the short questions u pretty much just learn the answers for the last 15 years, 25% in the bag!:D
    And if u look at the exam papers a bit u cud probly predict wat will cum up next year for the long q's! but stuff does repeat itself regularly.(like the international trade "box queston" or the "how the banks create credit" question):rolleyes:
    the examiners do look for specific stuff, so ur best bet is to download the marking schemes for the last few years of exams and learn off the answers they want. where people go wrong in economics is that they try to bull**** their way thru the questions using any economic terms or ideas they can think of, i wudnt try that!!
    got an a2 in the 07 exam, was the hardest economics paper id ever seen tho so id say ud definately be able to get an a2 or a1 if u do take it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭crunchycorner

I'm doing accounting atm, got 96% at xmas and summer tests and i'm thinking about taking on another subject. Anyone who did both business and economics, which would be easiest to pick up in a year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

Do economics. Its cool. Business is a load of sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 meh14

i picked up economics in 6th year outside school- went to the institute once a week, didn't even sit the mock and ended up with an A1! i also did business in school and think that it does help a bit especially with the macro topics but i definitely wouldnt say the crossover between the subjects is huge.i would recommend that you pick it up as it is certainly managable to do very well in only one year...and the actual economic exam has so much choice and is far nicer than the business one which is rotten.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 carrig2007

dont do it

Advertisement