Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Uni - Diploma in Pysch -starting with a level 2 course?

• 16-08-2008 8:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi

just wondering if anyone can offer some advice.
    I want to study Psychology and have been looking at the Open Uni as i think it fits with my lifestyle more. I already have an undergrad degree in computers and was looking at the Diploma in Psych(conversion for postgrads D15) course. As i wouldnt have studied psych in my prev course, i need to do the exploring psych(DSE212) course before...but its a level 2 course.
    I rang the OU and they said that they advise people to do level 1 first, but id like to hear from a student instead. I did my degree 3yrs ago, so i havent forgotten how to study. Id really rather not pay for the level 1 course if i dont have to (or spend the time doing it when i dont need it).
    How much harder is a level 2 course, and is it a lot to ask form myself to start with a level 2?

Thanks ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Level 1 courses are pretty easy. They are really just to ease you into the OU style of learning, and to practice essay writing.

The massive difference comes when you go from level 2 courses to level 3...they are much harder courses.

I guess the OU have reservations because your degree was in computing you wouldn't have been writing essays as part of your coursework. Can you maybe do a short 10 or 15 point course at level 1 before the level 2 courses begin in Feb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭speedy2007

hi eth0,

thanks for your reply. The exploring psych course is starting in oct, so i wouldnt really have the time with work to squeeze it in unfortunately.I did have to do quite a bit of documentation in computers...u know just requirements, user manuals, analysis...that kind of thing. I guess that prob doesnt really compare with an essay on psych tho :)
    Is it the style of writing thats difficult or just the fact that might seem a lot of work to a person thats not used to writing 1000 plus word essays?
    How often do they get you to write essays?
    They have a opening day next sat in dublin, so im hoping to go to that and see if i can get some info from them. Might be better to speak face to face with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

For a 60 point course you'd have usually 6 TMA (essay) assignments and an exam, so it's about 1 every 4-6 weeks.

I did computer engineering in college back in the day and it is a completely different style of writing :)

I'd recommend you get this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Good-Essay-Writing-association-University/dp/1412920116/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219310703&sr=8-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

I was considering this course...However I would be eligible for exemption from 'exploring psychology' ...well at least eligible to be considered for exemption...if I have 2 Oscail psychology modules. As I currently have one, I'm going to do a second this and apply for exemption next year. I am unemployed and E1600, which is what 'Exploring Psychology' would cost is a lot, whereas E800 with Oscail is manageable.

However the writing style is very different from my History/languages background, yes that for me was difficult.

Oscail isn't rated highly...I realise that now....it's an ok place to start...but I'd recommend changing train after a few stops.

Advertisement