Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To anyone with engine trouble on 16/8/08

Options
  • 16-08-2008 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭

Quite a few people around Greystones are experiencing engine trouble after the heavy rain today, and it seems like a local fuel station are the cause. After filling with €20 of unleaded fuel at about 15.30, my car would not start. I figured that there may have been water in the engine, and left the car parked there until this evening. After going back down to check out the car, I found all the fuel pumps were closed, and there were numerous cars left stranded. A mechanic repairing a 4x4 down there thought water had mixed with the fuel in the owners jeep. After speaking with some of the staff, one suggested that the rain water may have gotten into the pipes. So he gave me the managers phone number, which I called, but the manager was naturally unhelpful, and supposedly on a holiday.

Anyone else having similar problems could pm me, and I'll give them the managers number. Alternatively he is back in work on Monday. It'd be a good idea to let them know you've had problems, as I will be looking for them to foot my repair bill.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Notorious wrote: »
    as I will be looking for them to foot my repair bill.

Have you taken your car to a garage to be examined and confirmed with a mechanic that this was the cause?
    The other mechanic just "thought" it was rainwater. And petrol pump attendants are not exactly engineeers.

I dunno, you're probably right but you were very fast to name and shame a business if your car wasn't checked over in a garage.

Best of luck getting in getting it sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Well the fact that there was about 6 cars there (and I bumped into more people who had the same trouble after filling up outside a local supermarket), all unable to start after being filled with petrol, does indicate that it'd have to be the station that has a problem. I suppose it isn't a 100% definite that they are at fault, but it sure seems that way. Well when I say the mechanic thought, he did say water had gotten into the fuel tank (he had the engine ripped apart on the forecourt), but he thought that it came from the pumps.
    Maybe the 'attack' was wrong and a bit premature, but I am extremely pi**ed off since it looks like I'm going to be without a car for the next few days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

When you come back with definitive proof, I'll reopen the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Thread reopened. We will be keeping a close eye on this.

Please stick to the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭drag0n79

If the air intake in your car is low, and you drive through high water, then you can suck water into the engine. Let's be honest-after the conditions on Saturday, this is much more likely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement