Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eve] Advice for beginner pvp

Options
  • 16-08-2008 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

Ok, ive been playing for 3 months. Ive been a member of a mining corp in that time and also done a few missions and such. I got a taste of pvp last week when i joined a gang going into 0.0 and I quite liked it, unfortunately it was a once off

So I decided im going to go down the pvp route. Problem is, im quite ****e and my knowledge of pvp is all over the place. So whats the best way to get into pvp?

Obviously joining a pvp corp would be a good start, but im finding it very difficult to find one that suits me. I joined a corp in the beginning that were pvp, but only 12 members and they kept getting war dec'd and generally received a lot of grief.

Would it be advisable to join one of the big corps? dare I say... Goons?
    I was thinking that, while I might be just another number in their corp, it could afford a lot of opportunities to join fleets/gangs

Is it worth doing any solo pvp? even for minor practice?
    I understand that im going to lose ships and ISK trying it

Caldari, 3mil SP, have a crow with a good few related skills.
    All advice welcome (In b4 "Caldari? pvp? LOL")

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Well the first thing that comes to mind is Eve University. Join them, they teach new guys.

As for ships I would go for griffin for you. On its own its meh but it is a great force multiplier. Don't worry about damage, just fit for speed and keeping your jammers going.

A quick fit:

hi: rockets (standard missiles won't fit)
    mids: Mwd and 3 multispecs (if your cap skills are bad drop a multispec and fit a small cap battery not a recharger)
    lows: a distortion amp (if your cap skills are bad though fit a cap power relay)

After this or when you get confident/rich go for one of the elevtronic warfare frigates the Kitsune.
    Get your core skills up, such as your navigation, engineering, electronics. Try to have all the basic ones (rank 5 and below) to at least level 4. Once those are trained progress to the blackbird which is basically the griffin's big brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Krieg wrote: »
    Would it be advisable to join one of the big corps? dare I say... Goons?
    I was thinking that, while I might be just another number in their corp, it could afford a lot of opportunities to join fleets/gangs

Why people still think they can walk in the front door and join Goons I'll never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Statso

Hmm multispecs, i aint a jammer pilot but reading threads on jamming i don't think anyone really uses them anymore. They normally fit racials now. Eve-uni could be a good place to start. A lot of 0.0 corps have training corps too but getting into them is by pure luck as they don't openly advertise who they are, you just gotta hope to get lucky to get picked up by one. My own corp used to run a couple and we got some great pilots out of the program. One thing i'll say about eve-uni is that it's possible to join 'The Graduates' corp in Morsus Mihi once you qualify so that could be an option to 0.0 for you.

Don't use multispecs, they're crap. Who is this guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Zillah wrote: »
    Why people still think they can walk in the front door and join Goons I'll never know.

Jesus Zillah how long you been in goons? I remember the first few months before the whole bob vs. RSF kicked off goons were spamming every recruitment channel in the game, looking for everyone from noobs that could use a point to capital pilots. I don't see them doing it anymore but i'm guessing the rumor still carries.

Anyway back on topic, Eve university is good for the basics (although their tactics aren't full proof in fleet/gang combat but they'll teach you the basics. After that find a pvp corp, if its in low sec get an alt, for hauling purposes due to security hits. If you get yourself into a 0.0 alliance expect blobs atm as thats what most areas in Eve seem to be doing, although if you do it right 0.0 will make you more isk than you can in high sec mining anyway as well as providing a great deal of fun but as I said expect a few blobs. :D

Also multispecs are ok but if your coming up against anything above cruiser size you'll not have much luck perma-jamming them even with all skills at 5. I personally prefer racials as they have as good a chance as jamming a BS not of thier race as a multispec does (well not exactly but thats the way I look at it).

• Advertisement

:v

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

:v

Yeah, read what I wrote. I saw the still and said most still believe that rumor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Thanks for all the reply's

I tried out the jamming frig, but no luck. I went to try it out on NPC pirates and perma-jamming seemed impossible, even with 3 jammers. Cap was also bit of an issue. I have all the major skills (eng/elec etc.) to lv 4/5. But my jamming skills are low. Ill keep trying it out, must be something Im doing wrong

Regarding Goons, I saw a recruiter in the channel yesterday and the week before. But I think he was looking for 5-10 mil SP players

Ill have a look into eve university

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I tried out the jamming frig, but no luck. I went to try it out on NPC pirates and perma-jamming seemed impossible, even with 3 jammers. Cap was also bit of an issue. I have all the major skills (eng/elec etc.) to lv 4/5. But my jamming skills are low. Ill keep trying it out, must be something Im doing wrong

Probably not a good test case - I think technically NPCs can be jammed, but no one bothers.

The Ewar Skills are Electronic Warfare, Long Distance Jamming, Frequency Modulation and Signal Dispersion. You will want all those at 4. Caldari Frigate at 4 too as the Griffin gets a bonus.

Lows
    Signal Distortion Amplifier I [Boosts your ECM modules]

Mids
    ECM - Spatial Destabilizer I
    ECM - Ion Field Projector I
    ECM - White Noise Generator I
    1MN MicroWarpdrive I

Highs/Drones....whatever, you probably wont be in range to use frigate weapons anyhow.

Can use an afterburner instead of the MWD while youre training, only use the MWD in short bursts or it will kill your cap.

Your EWAR modules will have an optimal range of 50-70 depending on skills. When your gang gets a warp in on an enemy ship, dont warp in at zero - warp in at whatever your optimal range is...50 or 70 and jam at a distance.

Keep aligned, move at a right angle to the target so he has the hardest time tracking you. Aim your ship towards a celestial and move at speed while jamming, if you get targeted or an enemy races out to kill you drop a bookmark, warp out and get a new warp in 50-70 from a gang member. Rinse, repeat.

Long term, if youre going 0.0 PvP or Fleet PvP you will want to train for a fleet battleship - A Rohk for Caldari. That means dropping the missile skills and concentrating on Gunnery. If you want small gang 0.0 PvP.... Id advocate some caution before training for HACs or Recons and just see how the whole nano-nerf works out.
    Regarding Goons, I saw a recruiter in the channel yesterday and the week before. But I think he was looking for 5-10 mil SP players

Its more than likely the Goon "recruiter" was looking for 5-10 mil SP players as they would be more able to pay the 50 million ISK membership fees....

Goonfleet/Goonswarm is for Goons - you need to have a Something Awful account. I believe a Goon can also vouch for you, but I understand thats intended for good friends of particular Goons, not "some ****er you played a few rounds of CS with".

Any Goon doing a "open recruitment" session is probably involved in a scam where they will offer to vouch for you in exchange for membership fees [ no one demands ISK to join their corps], and/or offer to assist in getting gear down to Goon 0.0 - promptly stealing it. Basically, unless you are already a Goon, forget Goonswarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

The reason i said multis for him is because he will only have 2 jamming slots so he will have to multis otherwise he won't do jack. Also it is just a starting point.

ECm still needs work. If you look at Cown's latest video (Gneeznow has a cameo) he has a shot bit on the issue of him in an armour tanked maelstrom with 3 overloaded ECCMs fitted and one falcon still permajammed him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

ECm still needs work. If you look at Cown's latest video (Gneeznow has a cameo) he has a shot bit on the issue of him in an armour tanked maelstrom with 3 overloaded ECCMs fitted and one falcon still permajammed him.

Its a Falcon, probably the best, most skill intensive ECM ship in the game barring those horrible black ops. Id expect for the skill investment that it would do the one and only thing it can do against the racial ship type with the worst sensor strength in the game for at least the majority of the time.

Now if it was a Dominix that was permajamming the above ship then Id agree there is a problem.

Krieg wrote: »

NPCs cheat cheat cheat like mofos. Never test stuff on NPCs for PvP, they have their own rules, their ecm is especially screwed up.

Advertisement