Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grr!

Options
  • 16-08-2008 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here have this problem? I told my friends I was veggie a while back, and the first thing they say is "Do you eat chicken?" "No..." "Ham?" "No.." And it went on forever!

Oh and mum asked me if I want fish. And I said no because I don't eat meat. "Fish isn't meat, it's fish."

I mean, wtf! It is meat, fishmeat, and last time I checked fish were alive and swimming thanks very much lol

I feel like sitting her in front of our goldfish and educating her on the matter :rolleyes:

She still - months later - asks me if I want fish! :S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Some people just have a mental block that 'meat' means 'red meat'.

Also there are a lot of so-called vegetarians who eat fish - things like that confuse people, not least of all one's mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Yup, it happens to us all. Being offered chicken over and over... Turn vegan and you wonder why you're offered goats cheese with everything by your aunt... among other things.

And exactly as Aard said about the fish.

Feel free to vent here :) We understand!

I'm a veggie god 17+ plus years at this stage.
    My Dad, who doesn't agree with vegetable eating, asks me will I have some steak or whatever. Regular.

I don't pass any heed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Mother still asks if I want fish. Somebody offered me prawns as a veggie alternative, her son rolled his eyes and took them off me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Would be very surprised if a veggie has never been asked a variation on this theme :) I don't mind if someone offers me jellies or something, not everyone knows the origin of gelatine, but fish is another thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

This all stems from people saying they are a vegetarian and then eating fish. We need to hunt these people down and slap then about the face with a wet fish so they can see that it bears no resemblance to a vegetable!!;)

We need to educate people as we go and keep telling them that vegetarians don’t eat fish or chicken in a calm and polite manner so they don’t accuse us of being raging crazy people who are trying to convert them to our vegetable eating ways!!

My father still finds it funny to wave a sausage at me at bbq`s and ask do I want one :rolleyes:

I am bored with people trying to pick fights with me about my own personal choices so I just explain to them I don’t eat meat or dairy and if you want to know why I am not going to explain my reasons and do your own research and come to your own conclusion.

If someone is genuinely interested then I will of course help them and point them to interesting articles and things but I can’t be doing with people who want to convert me or tell me I am missing VITAL nutrients. Yeah yeah what ever carry on munching your big mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, there's a lot of confusion about it alright. Particularly outside of the cities, people seem to think that vegetarian means no cow or pig, but everything else is OK.

We have a freakishly large number of veggies in our family and we were away for a family pissup this summer. We were ordering lunch in the bar and my gf was trying to explain to the girl (who we think was the manager or assistant manager) that she was vegetarian, but also can't eat wheat, so the pasta (which the rest of us had ordered) was a no go.

"Ah shure that's grand, we can do up a chicken salad or something."
    "Eh, no, I'm a vegetarian."
    "Yeah, and vegetarians eat chicken"
    "No, they don't."
    "Yes they do, if you don't eat chicken, you're a vegan. Vegetarians don't eat red meat."
    (With the rest of us joining in) "No, vegetarians don't eat any meat."
    "Right, well we can do fish then. Vegetarians eat fish."
    "No, that's a pescatarian."
    "I thought that was a religion".
    (After some laughter) "Do you do an egg salad?"
    "Vegetarians don't eat eggs!"
    "Yes, they do, vegans don't eat eggs!"

At that point, she kind of gave up (she was a surly bitch anyway) and went and got the egg salad. We were all stunned by how horrifically wrong she'd gotten the whole thing. I'd expect anyone who works with preparing or serving food to know at least the basic fundamentals of what makes a vegetarian/vegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

flikflak wrote: »
    This all stems from people saying they are a vegetarian and then eating fish. We need to hunt these people down and slap then about the face with a wet fish so they can see that it bears no resemblance to a vegetable!!;)

Damn straight, I blame the French :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

Its not only a problem at home or with friends.

eateries like to make assumptions of their own

Chinese Food - as they use fish sauce/oyster sauce in proobably everything.

also soups in restraunts can you trust they arent made with chicken stock?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Peanut wrote: »
    Damn straight, I blame the French :cool:

They have the best vegetarian food I have had though.

• Advertisement

They have the best vegetarian food I have had though.

Maoz?

No, we did not eat there, the girl was rude. Hmpf!

So what did ye eat that was so amazing?
    Details please!

No, we did not eat there, the girl was rude. Hmpf!

What a shame :o

But yes I agree on the Victorie Supreme place, has to be one of the top places I have been to also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Cafe I work in isn't specifically vegetarian, but due to to the owner's policy of hiring students from the local american art college so she can pay people in cash, there's been an extraordinary amount of veggies and vegans working there over the years, a fact reflected in the menu. it still makes me happy when people come in and ask with no real hint of hope in their voices "ye don't have anything vegan by any chance do ye?" and I can go "yup, the veggie wrap as long as you don't get the mushrooms, the soup, the hummus, the chilli, beans on toast etc"
    My dad, who was veggie for about five years, still maintains I'm "taking it too far" by not eating gelatine or rennet, or even spuds cooked in the same tin as the chicken, but I don't think I've ever been offered chicken or fish as an alternative :cool:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i was in a resturant recently and asked what the vegetarian dish was.

she told pasta with creamy mushroom sauce and prawns!!! i told her prawns were not vegetable based. she said oh yeah, sorry. i asked if there was anything i might be able to have - she offered me the sea bass.

i left never to return again

its just part of life being a veggie i guess

Moonbaby wrote: »
    So what did ye eat that was so amazing?
    Details please!
    Peanut wrote: »
    What a shame :o

But yes I agree on the Victorie Supreme place, has to be one of the top places I have been to also.

Ah yeah but we were having none of her! :p

As for victoire, it was very nice. A restauant I thought was much nicer(although it has no fake meat, maybe just that day) was Le Potager du Marais. Few seats, expensive but so delicious. Some people complain of the service there but the man that server us was the best waiter I have had, very nice.

Also nice food comes from their chain of health food stores, Naturalia. Nicest fake meat I have ever had. It was sold by weight like real meat too, heh.

I miss the good there, I brought a lot back but it is long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

I find it wierd that the french are extremly accomadating towards vegitarians.

i always thought them as a whole country who really enjoyed their meat.

They apologised a lot for the poor amount of places they had and they have so much more than us, heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Have also been frequently offered chicken and fish (sure they aren't real meat!! :rolleyes:) and was once actually served fish at a function after I had phoned the hotel the day before to request a veggie meal with no tomatoes (in order to avoid the customary pasta in tomato based sauce favoured by imo all irish hotels) - the fish even still had its head attached!!!

My gran finds it the hardest though - just cannot get her head around the whole fish being meat thing, think it is because of fast days in the RC Church - like good friday and stuff, you couldn't eat meat but you could still have fish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Is there a word for food made from any animal flesh? Cos meat excludes fish and poultry. If there is, I need to start using it!

Nature Boy wrote: »
    Is there a word for food made from any animal flesh? Cos meat excludes fish and poultry. If there is, I need to start using it!

Depends on your definition really. But I would think that meat covers all animals.
    You could just say "animals" instead!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Nature Boy wrote: »

I just tell people I don't eat anything with a face. There's usually 4 minutes silence and then they get it.

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    I just tell people I don't eat anything with a face. There's usually 4 minutes silence and then they get it.

Tried that line out one time, reply ".....I think fish only really have profiles"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

This thread is an eye-opener! I'm not a veggie but I have a few friends who are...or I thought they were! Turns out they are not vegetarians at all, they are fish-eating shams! :eek:

Still, makes it easier when they come over to my place for food :)

Seems "vegetarian" is a catch-all term, so I think the easiest thing to do is tell them a day in advance what I plan to make and see if they have any objections.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Cafe I work in isn't specifically vegetarian, but due to to the owner's policy of hiring students from the local american art college so she can pay people in cash, there's been an extraordinary amount of veggies and vegans working there over the years, a fact reflected in the menu. it still makes me happy when people come in and ask with no real hint of hope in their voices "ye don't have anything vegan by any chance do ye?" and I can go "yup, the veggie wrap as long as you don't get the mushrooms, the soup, the hummus, the chilli, beans on toast etc"
    My dad, who was veggie for about five years, still maintains I'm "taking it too far" by not eating gelatine or rennet, or even spuds cooked in the same tin as the chicken, but I don't think I've ever been offered chicken or fish as an alternative :cool:

Gelatine and Rennet are animal byproducts so that I can understand. However
    Mushrooms - grown in poop I presume
    Hummus - ?
    Chilli -?
    Beans -?

Why would a vegan not eat those?
    Beans

No, the hummus chilli and beans are all vegan! the mushrooms aren't coz they're cooked in butter

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Malari wrote: »
    This thread is an eye-opener! I'm not a veggie but I have a few friends who are...or I thought they were! Turns out they are not vegetarians at all, they are fish-eating shams! :eek:

Well give them a good ol' wallop accross the head for us the next time you see them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

Malari wrote: »

Still, makes it easier when they come over to my place for food :)

Seems "vegetarian" is a catch-all term, so I think the easiest thing to do is tell them a day in advance what I plan to make and see if they have any objections.

I eat fish (but no other meat) and it's easier for me to say I'm vegetarian than to have to explain my ethos on food every time someone asks.. Yep it's a bit of a catch all term these days but look at the amount of different genres in TV and film and music and the divisions and subdivisions people insist on labelling and putting into boxes. I don't wanna get into a discussion about it every time I eat out or meet someone new etc. so I use a catch all term that is the most accurate way of describing an otherwise long and tedious repeat of a discussion. Why should it bother anyone what someone else calls themselves anyway?

• Advertisement

Because pescetarians calling themselves vegetarians means most people offer vegetarians fish and a lot of places have fish as a the vegetarian option.
    :-p

Advertisement