Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting dogs detained after worrying livestock

Options
  • 16-08-2008 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055357310

Follow on from the above topic.

Is it legal for a farmer to capture a dog that was worrying livestock, take it home and shoot it there.

A poster has suggested that shooting the dog is only allowed when the actual act of worrying is in progress and not afterwards.

Could I get an opinion on where the law stands?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Did a quick search and got the Dogs (Protection of Livestock Act 1960)

This may have been superseded, I'm no legal eagle

Seems to me that the garda should be called and the dog would be detained.
    The dog could only be shot on the spot and while in the act of killing or worrying the livestock.
    4. —In an action for damages for the shooting of a dog, it shall be a good defence if the defendant proves—
    [GA]
    ( a ) that the dog was shot when worrying livestock on agricultural land,
    [GA]
    ( b ) that the livestock were lawfully on the land,
    [GA]
    3. —(1) Where in the case of a dog found on agricultural land—
    [GA]
    ( a ) the dog has been worrying livestock on the land, and
    [GA]
    ( b ) no person is present who admits to being the owner of the dog or in charge of it,
    [GA]
    a member of the Gárda Síochána may seize the dog, and thereupon the provisions of sections 3 and 9 of the Dogs Act, 1906, in relation to seized stray dogs shall apply.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Could I get an opinion on where the law stands?

The crowd in Legal Discussion can probably help too. If you'd like I can bounce this thread over there to save you starting a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Thread already over there has been closed. Please don't move it.

Advertisement