Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

kia Cee'd sw ipod cable

Options
  • 16-08-2008 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

my wife bought the kia cee'd a few weeks ago and is delighted with it. One thing though.... she got her new ipod in New York this week at a cost 0f 120 dollars and when she came home she connected it into the ipod hub (which is a selling point of the car) in the new car and it didn't work. We checked the manual and apparently its a 'special' kia ipod cable that we need. Rang up the kia dealer where we bought the car and were told this 'special' cable is going to cost 100 euro....which is dearer than the ipod itself......What a rip off!!!!!!! their head office is going to get a phone call on Monday.:mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

so is it because it's American? or do you just not get an intergration cable with a Cee'd.

If it's the same setup as on the Hyundai i30, then it's a USB to Ipod lead with a 3.5mm audio plug as well, just checked it up, and there is a similar Kenwood lead on ebay with the same connections, but it doesn't work properly, so don't bother with it.

That's presuming you didn't get an intergration cable with the car, and you tried plugging in the Apple USB lead you got with the ipod?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jake59

colm_mcm wrote: »
    so is it because it's American? or do you just not get an intergration cable with a Cee'd.

If it's the same setup as on the Hyundai i30, then it's a USB to Ipod lead with a 3.5mm audio plug as well, just checked it up, and there is a similar Kenwood lead on ebay with the same connections, but it doesn't work properly, so don't bother with it.

That's presuming you didn't get an intergration cable with the car, and you tried plugging in the Apple USB lead you got with the ipod?

We used the ipod cable that came with it but apparently this is only an issue with irish cars and as UK kia ceeds are a different spec the normal Apple cable works for them... just another case of the Irish getting stung again:mad::mad:

sorry, still not with you, did you use the cable that came with the car or with the ipod?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭colsers22

You should just put all your music on to a USB key, which you can plug directly into the USB port in your car. You wont need to worry about cables or having somewhere to store the Ipod. You can skip to albums/tracks with stereos own controls. Far safer than fiddling with an ipod while driving.

And I checked the Specs of the car, nowhere does it specifically say the car has an "ipod hub"
    It says the car has an AUX & USB Audio input.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

colsers22 wrote: »
    You should just put all your music on to a USB key, which you can plug directly into the USB port in your car. You wont need to worry about cables or having somewhere to store the Ipod. You can skip to albums/tracks with stereos own controls. Far safer than fiddling with an ipod while driving.

And I checked the Specs of the car, nowhere does it specifically say the car has an "ipod hub"
    It says the car has an AUX & USB Audio input.

+1 and QFT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

jake59 wrote: »
    my wife bought the kia cee'd a few weeks ago and is delighted with it. One thing though.... she got her new ipod in New York this week at a cost 0f 120 dollars and when she came home she connected it into the ipod hub (which is a selling point of the car) in the new car and it didn't work. We checked the manual and apparently its a 'special' kia ipod cable that we need. Rang up the kia dealer where we bought the car and were told this 'special' cable is going to cost 100 euro....which is dearer than the ipod itself......What a rip off!!!!!!! their head office is going to get a phone call on Monday.:mad::mad:

I think you've misunderstood, the Integration kit their talking about for 100 euro is to link into the Aux on the Stereo and give you control of the iPod via the Stereo buttons, this needs to be installed seperately. If the Stereo can't play your music from the iPod via USB its more than likely because their encoded in AAC and not MP3.

Right click on a song in iTunes and get info on it, the codec will most likely be AAC. Change your iTunes settings to MP3 and re-import your library. It will more than likely work then.

This is all assuming that it says "Do not Disconnect" when you plug it into the Stereo, which means its mounting.

Instructions on how to convert are here:
    http://myrightbrain.wordpress.com/2006/06/11/how-to-convert-mp4-audio-files-to-mp3-using-itunes/

So the Dealer is not "Ripping you off", You can more than likely get it working this way. Bear in mind, their a garage and can't be expected to understand all these different players etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

If its anything like my ould lads i30 (Which it is!). I cant remember whether it was the dealer or the manual that said the lead would have to be bought seperately when in fact the lead was in the glove box all along with all the other documentation.
    colsers22 wrote: »
    You can skip to albums/tracks with stereos own controls. Far safer than fiddling with an ipod while driving.

The Lead the OP is looking for should allow him to skip/search/scroll using the cars radio and not have to handle the ipod at all.

The i30 has the lead as standard, a standard USB to ipod lead won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

My parents bought one of these last year, in march. At the time the broucher stated that the cable ,not available untill may would be included. Well, short story ,is that took ages to get the cable (they wanted €80 but where told to shove it as it had been agreed that the cable as soon as released would be provided). This is where the real problems started. The cable did not fit the provided USB power and AUX sockets. The offset between the two sockets was different to the cable. I got a second cable from ebay (€15) same issue. Contacted Kia Ireland, and demanded that this be corrected, and they did .They replaced the socket in the car, now it all works fine.
    1 year later a friend buys one, a station wagon this time ,I still have the cable bought from ebay, and low a behold same problem as with my parents car. I have told them to go back to the dealer and complain, but it is unlikely that they will.
    If you are not sure what I mean by offsets, it is where the the 3.5mm phono jack is to the right and slightly up, where it should be to the right and slightly down from the center line.
    I would contact your dealer and Kia Ireland and complain, (this cable comes as standard in England).

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭drver1

don't bother spending €100 on a usb cable, just buy an aux lead for €4 an it works fine,

no point going through all that hassle,

and you cant use the steering wheel controls to change the tracks on the ipod with any cables,

• Advertisement
Advertisement