Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading uATX form packard Bell iMedia

Options
  • 16-08-2008 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Before I venture on this project, I thought I would ask the experts if there is a point in bothering

My main computer is a high end work laptop. A couple of years ago as I had a montior and keyboard I bought a cheap tower to surf net at home etc.

Anyhow the specs are microATX form factor motherboard with celeron D and integrated graphics and audio, the usual cheap computer crap. I upgraded ram to 1gb.

I now would like a pc which is capable of editing hd footage which essentially means decent graphics, high end dual core 2, or maybe quadcore with at least 4gb ram.

I can
    1. Buy a new tower

2. I am wondering if I can upgrade

So can I get a uATX board which can house a decent chip or even quadcore and do with my current case etc and would this work out cheaper.

And can I do this in stages, i.e. can I buy motherboard fisrt which will be able to house my current celeron D, then upgrade chip and ram later?

Where should I start looking!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

uATX and microATX are infact two names for the same thing so there should be no problem using your old case.

Celeron D's were made for both the socket 478s and LGA775, if yours is LGA775 you should be able to replace the board now and upgrade the cpu later. However if it is a 478 i'm afraid that's an old standard and is not compatible with LGA775 which is what all the core 2 cpu's use. So you would need to upgrade the board and the cpu at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Hi

Thanks for such a quick reply

As you said I just found out its a 478 socket so I will need to buy board and chip at same time

If I just buy these to start, will I still be able to use my current dvd and ram etc?

And can I buy a board with some integrated graphics/audio but which I can upgrade later so I can spread the cost if you get hwat I am saying?

You think it will work out cheaper this way to upgrade to get a pc capable of running vista EASILY and also editing high def video?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You'll be able to use the dvd drive. Not sure about the ram. You'll need to check what type it is. If it's ddr2 then you're sorted, if it's ddr you'll need new ram as well. When buying the board make sure it has integrated graphics and a pci express slot. Then you'll be able to upgrade it.

Ok cool thanks

I will get searching

Any good sites as to what components I need for intended use

eg If I want avchd video editing, what I need in terms of processor, board etc, to run vista etc what would be ideal

I dont want to go buying the best and then find out I could have got away with less.

I wont be using for gaming but will want good vista experience and high def video editing

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm pretty sure video editing is all cpu so don't worry about graphics card too much. For vista 2GBs ram minimum (although it's so cheap you may as well get 4GBs) and a half decent dual core cpu.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Bear in mind that if it is a uATX the case might not be large enough to accomodate a large gfx card.

You will also need a new psu if you are getting a high end gfx card. Some of those cases are not standard size psu's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

PoleStar wrote: »
    Any good sites as to what components I need for intended use

eg If I want avchd video editing, what I need in terms of processor, board etc, to run vista etc what would be ideal

I dont want to go buying the best and then find out I could have got away with less.

I wont be using for gaming but will want good vista experience and high def video editing
    As far as websites go, dabs.ie and komplett.ie would be popular. hardwareversand.de is a little cheaper than both of the above, but slower and more expensive to deliver.

As regards what to go for, I'd say a quad core q6600 (150) would be ideal for video editing. 4 gigs of ram (pc2-6400) can be had for less than 70 quid. As others have said, video card isn't a big deal, just make sure it has the outputs you need (hdtv, hdmi, whatever).

Is 4Gb Ram sufficient to have a quite fast PC with vista or woudl I need 8Gb as the board I am now looking at which has in built nvidia has a max of 4bg ram

ASUS P5N-EM

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

PoleStar wrote: »
    Is 4Gb Ram sufficient to have a quite fast PC with vista or woudl I need 8Gb as the board I am now looking at which has in built nvidia has a max of 4bg ram

ASUS P5N-EM
    Waste of time. 3gb is an over kill tbh...

Cool thanks for that

Although not sure I agree about the 3gb as plenty.

When I look at system requirements for some of the video editors for editing hi def footage such as AVCHD, some require as a minimum dual core 2.2 with 2gb ram, as a MINIMUM!

Anyhows, what about the board I mentioned, the ASUS P5N-EM

Has in built NVidia but I am concerned bout limit of 4gb of ram in case when I do get to edit video that I find a bit slow and want more.

• Advertisement

You need a 64bit os if you wanna use more than 3.25gb.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    You need a 64bit os if you wanna use more than 3.25gb.

Thanks, are the quad core chips 64 bit? I think I saw a 6600 for EU150 on elara

Yes they are.

Advertisement