Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mayhem in johns street

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just listened to Newstalk headlines and nothing. Hopefully WLR at 10 am will actually have something.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Nowt on RTE anyway.

Finally. Fair play to the shop staff who detained one of the Crims.

No mention of shots.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 paddy1mac

Lads, i'm a bit confused with all this - for the last few weeks we've had an unprecendented garda presence on a lot of council estates / halting sites etc and the vandalism and criminal activity was to an extent stopped or curtailed.

In the last week or two these checkpoints were scaled down and it's all kicked off again - and in the latest incidents the public were caught up in it.

Why are the checkpoint gone and only in place at certain times and in isolated locations.

Take last night, the only checkpoint that i could see was at farran park and this was set up around 7pm. The incident happened at around 9.30pm in and around the area of Farran Park - how in gods name could this be. How did they get through the checpoint or how were they allowed progress to a packed area of town.

A lot of questions have to be answered by the Gardai because i dont want to be going to WRH to identify a family member caught up in this and the way its going it's only a matter of time before an innocent bystasnder is hurt.

I don't think the penny has dropped regarding the sheer viciousness of Travellers fueding and that it DOES NOT GO AWAY. EVER. Once a wrong has been done thats it - its permenent war between the aggrieved parties. This will only end in some fashion when the families have been broken up and scattered - all the way to England possibly (that happened quite a bit in the past).

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

paddy1mac wrote: »
    Lads, i'm a bit confused with all this - for the last few weeks we've had an unprecendented garda presence on a lot of council estates / halting sites etc and the vandalism and criminal activity was to an extent stopped or curtailed.

In the last week or two these checkpoints were scaled down and it's all kicked off again - and in the latest incidents the public were caught up in it.

Why are the checkpoint gone and only in place at certain times and in isolated locations.

Take last night, the only checkpoint that i could see was at farran park and this was set up around 7pm. The incident happened at around 9.30pm in and around the area of Farran Park - how in gods name could this be. How did they get through the checpoint or how were they allowed progress to a packed area of town.

A lot of questions have to be answered by the Gardai because i dont want to be going to WRH to identify a family member caught up in this and the way its going it's only a matter of time before an innocent bystasnder is hurt.

The gardees have their priorities mixed up. They're protecting some people with very large targets on their head. If these people get hit, then I imagine it'd escalate even further.

Time to get it out of Waterford.

1800 666 111 - Gardaí confidential line, ring it for anything suspicious you see and ask for a incident number. We work them off their arses about this and they wont be long about pulling up the socks. And if the travellers find Waterford to be working against them, they'll likely take it somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

Sully wrote: »

Must have been the travellers - sure who else would bash into Garda cars, shot people and cause mayhem? Aye, only travellers do that sorta thing sure aint the rest of us citizens of da law boy? Aye.

Be Careful Sull , If i was a traveller i would do the site for deformation of character or slander and there would be alot of characters to do that.

People love court and trying to get free money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The Independent article looks to have been written by someone who was just looking at this thread!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Be Careful Sull , If i was a traveller i would do the site for deformation of character or slander and there would be alot of characters to do that.

People love court and trying to get free money.

That was a sarcastic post in relation to another user, who is now banned, for making inappropriate comments towards travellers and laming them blame on them. Its not meant to be taken seriously. Do I actually need to put a big fecking label on it to let people know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

mike65 wrote: »

So they continue to pussyfoot around while incidents continue to happen. What does it take for something to happen? Deaths?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭portlairge

someone with a bit of cop on needs to police this site as all these bans are getting out of hand.
    sully get a grip of your self you are handing out bans like theres no tomorrow i for one wont be looking up this site again and a lot of othere are sayin the same you cannot say a thing without upsetting the self ricous sully... so go ahead and ban me too ...... goodbye

oh and by the way i f****n hate rubberneckers and sully you are one following trouble around the place to get some gosssip..get a life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

We have recently had the topic of the travelling comunity in the carlow forum and it has been an ongoing debate here in the waterford forum for quite some time now. It seems that here in waterford there never is a week where the travelling community aren't accused of something or else someone makes a snide remark about that particular community. I'm just putting it out there but maybe the time has come to ban the talk about the travelling community on boards.ie before a possible legal suit takes place or the entire members of waterford and other counties discussing this particular subject lose all their registered users and posters to bans for uncalled comments and un-substantiated posts.

Too harsh maybe but at least it would take away a large majority of the banning on the site and this counties forum.I'm not defending any party here but there is a limit to the amount you can say publically before it is either deemed racist, defamation of character or damn right insulting.

Bans are pointless they only serve to aggrevate people and a lot of this seems to be happening. So instead of attacking people who are trying to protect boards.ie from what can only be seen as an impending lawsuit, e.g. the moderators who receive quite a harsh time for it in some situations we should just ban the subject altogether and cut of the source of aggrevation at the root.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Are you suggesting that travellers read these boards and will one day sue? Don't be stupid.

A lad was banned because he said that the travellers were involved last night. That's like banning someone for saying that the sky is grey. The travellers were involved last night - fact.

So we bite our tongue when mayhem is unfolding?

I'd like to think we can police ourselves.

btw, wlr is talking about this right now.

Mike.

So we ban all talk about major local activities on the grounds of who is involved in those activities? That doesn't seem right. This feud between travellers is a fact, is it not? Criminal acts are being perpetrated, are they not? If it was anyone else, people would be allowed to talk about it. But because it is travellers, it is now being suggested that all talk be banned? That is crazy. Banning disparaging remarks is fine, but banning all talk is utter nonsense. Trying to sweep everything under the carpet is how things escalate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

there never is a week where the travelling community aren't accused of something

Well the situation has escalated to the point where the travelling community are doing things that warrant accusations, not just on a weekly basis, but on a daily basis. One poster described what was happening in just their housing estate and it made for eerie reading. As for the snide remarks, that's just Waterford humour coming to the fore and mostly the comments are innocuous and simply misinterpreted by Sully.
    I'm just putting it out there but maybe the time has come to ban the talk about the travelling community on boards.ie

I totally disagree. I think there's currently a very good signal-noise ratio and most of the posts aren't unsubstantiated and are first hand experiences of what's going on. And what exactly is going on? Well, if discussion was banned, we'd never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Ban talking about what's going on outside our front door? Tis a bit crap.

The news are reporting as it is, no need to be so paranoid.

Some people come out and give out just because a moderator hands out a ban because some really smart poster decides to write a lovely comment absolutely slating the travelling community. Yet when a suggestion to not talk about it so as to avoid such banning incidents is made you all join together and say banning is fine for stupid comments yet about five posts above there is a boardsie slating a moderator because he banned someone for a stupid comment and the person that slated the moderator is going to boycott this particular forum on the site.

Make up your minds. Come on like...Sitting on the fence at it's best. I never once said the travelling community had no involvement and to suggest that i did is pure ignorance on anyone's part.So ok they were involved last night and it is fact according to the above posts but what is the point in coming on here and and posting SOME things that we do not know are fact. They seems to be one or two people who know what they are on about and fair enough to them but there are others coming on making contributions that serve no purpose but to p155 off a mod, get a banning or slate a community.

Anyways that suggestion was clearly a lost cause...laters!:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

stick-dan wrote: »
    We have recently had the topic of the travelling comunity in the carlow forum and it has been an ongoing debate here in the waterford forum for quite some time now. It seems that here in waterford there never is a week where the travelling community aren't accused of something or else someone makes a snide remark about that particular community.

Thats becuase 99% of the trouble thats been caused in the last few weeks has been caused by two (or more) feuding Tinker families. It's not a snide remark merely the way people in Waterford are choosing to vent their understandable rage and concerns. About this period and feud which has already seen Waterford Regional Hostpital Closed down, disruptions in court, Pipe bombs, public violence and over all general disrespect to the law,gardai and people who are not involved in this.
    I'm just putting it out there but maybe the time has come to ban the talk about the travelling community on boards.ie before a possible legal suit takes place or the entire members of waterford and other counties discussing this particular subject lose all their registered users and posters to bans for uncalled comments and un-substantiated posts.

Too harsh maybe but at least it would take away a large majority of the banning on the site and this counties forum.I'm not defending any party here but there is a limit to the amount you can say publically before it is either deemed racist, defamation of character or damn right insulting.

Bans are pointless they only serve to aggrevate people and a lot of this seems to be happening. So instead of attacking people who are trying to protect boards.ie from what can only be seen as an impending lawsuit, e.g. the moderators who receive quite a harsh time for it in some situations we should just ban the subject altogether and cut of the source of aggrevation at the root.

You are quite clearly taking the mods side on this.

"Lets stop all discussion on the topic"

Why Should we? These are major events in Waterford that are affecting the whole county and last night they spilled out in a very public way into the busiest street in town and on a Saturday night. Everyone knows that every Saturday night John Street is mobbed with people either going between pubs or out smoking.

That is a completely idiotic approach to the topic. Lets's stop talking about it.

@Sully, You do give out bans too easily unless a post has been deleted I haven't read anything that could be considered even mildly offensive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

There is a charter and you agree to it before posting in this forum. CantGetNoSleep has been warned, infracted and banned in the past for such comments towards members of the travelling community in the past. Regardless of events around the city, such comments are not welcome and will receive a straight out ban. This has been debated in Feedback and has received the full approval.

End of discussion. Stick to the topic. If you want complain any further you may go to Feedback or send me a PM.

Kahless wrote: »
    So we ban all talk about major local activities on the grounds of who is involved in those activities? That doesn't seem right. This feud between travellers is a fact, is it not? Criminal acts are being perpetrated, are they not? If it was anyone else, people would be allowed to talk about it. But because it is travellers, it is now being suggested that all talk be banned? That is crazy. Banning disparaging remarks is fine, but banning all talk is utter nonsense. Trying to sweep everything under the carpet is how things escalate.

Discussion welcome and has always been welcome. Inappropriate comments are NOT welcome and THAT is why a ban was issued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Make up your minds. Come on like...Sitting on the fence at it's best. I never once said the travelling community had no involvement and to suggest that i did is pure ignorance on anyone's part.So ok they were involved last night and it is fact according to the above posts but what is the point in coming on here and and posting SOME things that we do not know are fact. They seems to be one or two people who know what they are on about and fair enough to them but there are others coming on making contributions that serve no purpose but to p155 off a mod, get a banning or slate a community.

If it wasn't so easy to piss off sully then some of them might agree with you!

They are also that pre your mod status also complained on a regular basis! Maybe not on boards but you have. Bit hypocritical aren't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

I think the ban was a bit harsh too..i didnt see anythng too bad in what he was saying....unless a post was deleted :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DARIA_999

any updates on what happened here?????

ec18 wrote: »
    If it wasn't so easy to piss off sully then some of them might agree with you!

They are also that pre your mod status also complained on a regular basis! Maybe not on boards but you have. Bit hypocritical aren't you?

Not really hypocritical at all. I genuinely do have a serious problem with the way they are behaving at the moment and all the goings on around the area at the moment but to be fair i don't log in and post the first insult towards them that comes to my head. Honest to god if a milk bottle was smashed outside on the street the deise folk would blame it on the travelling community.

There's a charter in place that says attack the post not the poster. Bit of a personal dig there at myself and sully there isn't it?

Honest to god if a milk bottle was smashed outside on the street the deise folk would blame it on the travelling community.

There's a charter in place that says attack the post not the poster. Bit of a personal dig there at myself and sully there isn't it?

Are disparaging remarks against the deise folk allowed?

The issue of CantGetNoSleep's ban is being discussed in Help Desk (you can only view, not reespond) here and discloses exactly why he was banned. If you wish to dispute the charter, and how bans are handled in this forum, you are more then welcome to go to Feedback or send me a PM.

This topic is not banned from being discussed however maturity and common sense is permitted when posting. Now, please, stick to the topic.

Kahless wrote: »
    Are disparaging remarks against the deise folk allowed?

Well if one is being slated as a hypocrite. Some of us can look at things from a neutral perspective.

Anyways sully requested to go back on topic so i'm outtie :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

How come these incidents are not deemed newsworthy? This happened on the busiest time of the busiest night of the week on our busiest street! Any idea what exactly happened????

Surely on a Waterford radio station's news, this is more important than Barrack Obama's confession that he took drugs when he was a kid!!!!!!! :confused:

Advertisement