Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mayhem in johns street

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

stick-dan wrote: »
    There's a charter in place that says attack the post not the poster. Bit of a personal dig there at myself and sully there isn't it?

not really you came on defending the mods and i replied. And i do genuinely believe that some of the bans sully gives out are undeserved.

anyway back on topic

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

wellbutty wrote: »
    How come these incidents are not deemed newsworthy? This happened on the busiest time of the busiest night of the week on our busiest street! Any idea what exactly happened????

Surely on a Waterford radio station's news, this is more important than Barrack Obama's confession that he took drugs when he was a kid!!!!!!! :confused:

Well all the details are very sketchy and I would assume the Guards are rushed of their feet. Plus, traveller feuds are very rarely reported on in the news for some odd reason.

All we know for certain is that two cars rammed each other, or were ramming other cars. Gun shots and other stories have to be treated as rumour as nobody knows for certain just yet.

What does concern me is, that reports in this thread say Farran Park had checkpoints at the entrance yet a fight/trouble still broke out. How?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I don't think a checkpoint on a road is going to stop people who really want to get in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Kahless wrote: »
    I don't think a checkpoint on a road is going to stop people who really want to get in.

But, if they did get past, surely they can call for backup. Plus I doubt they are going to hang around if the break past a checkpoint!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

This is out of control. We need extra gardaí on the beat. On loan from carlow, wexford & kilkenny is required. This is Ireland, not 1940's germany. The citizens of this city have a right to safety and security. Something has to be done.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    This is out of control. We need extra gardaí on the beat. On loan from carlow, wexford & kilkenny is required. This is Ireland, not 1940's germany. The citizens of this city have a right to safety and security. Something has to be done.

Agreed. It was very lucky people were not harmed last night, and its pretty dangerous in Waterford at the moment. But look at Limerick, that's going on for ages and it still isn't properly resolved.

The thing is, those involved obviously have no respect or fear of the Gardaí. You do not act like what has happened if you feared the consequences of your actions. People should be allowed to go out and have a few beers without worrying about this nonsense. Luckily for me I was up in Dublin, but I'd normally be oterhwise in town. I don't think I'd fancy seeing that at all.

dlofnep wrote: »
    The thing is, those involved obviously have no respect or fear of the Gardaí. You do not act like what has happened if you feared the consequences of your actions. People should be allowed to go out and have a few beers without worrying about this nonsense. Luckily for me I was up in Dublin, but I'd normally be oterhwise in town. I don't think I'd fancy seeing that at all.

Well they have no fear of the law because the law cant stop them. They always get away with it. And its not just certain members of the travelling community - there are plenty of non-travellers who cause havock and have the "**** the law" attitude.

Until we get proper laws and a proper court system then people wont just care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭eldeabroad

this thread, along with various others are starting to make me think of going elsewhere, instead of returning to Waterford... having spent 5 years in The Basque Country...

I´ve seen stuff here which has reached the news in Ireland, people have been injured by bombs in the town I live in (roughly Waterford size) even had friends and family be a bit wary of coming to visit... have been in a fair few protests/riots etc.. Never have I felt the apprehension (sp) that I feel about moving back home, is this what I am returning to???

(PS looking for work in the City :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 paddy1mac

The girl in my office who lives in kilcohan was just on to me to tell me that the house Crystal court that has been petrol bombed several times in the last few weeks was bombed again last night. I have just driven past and the house is damaged as well as a burnt out car in the driveway.

Now forgive me but surely this could have been prevented as it was targeted before. I only ever see checkpoints at Birchwood and have yet to see any in this estate.

This is a feud within a particular community and like every other community there are good and bad in it. We should't paint everyone in this community with the same brush but i havent heard too many voices from them coming out to condemn the violence or to put the publics mind at ease as to what steps they are taking if any to resolve the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭steven22

Lads this is what happened, I deliver food for an establishment on Johns Street and i myself was nearly backed into when the cars were reversing.

the two cars involved were a 08 Lexus and a 98 Astra (banged up one).

the Lexus was the car ploughing into the other one...

anyway it was travellers, known to myself infact. And not only from the same family, but the people in the Astra were from 2 different familys, not even related. So this just shows the feud is escalating and now is not between just the original 2 familys.

Anyway an 18 year old traveller did infact hang himself last night and another took an overdose. I dont have any news on the overdose, hoping he made it.

And regarding the checkpoint in Farran Pk, that is for a different feud that grew out of this feud. Anyway all of this info is EXACT because I am from a nearby housing estate and went to school with a handful of these travellers, rumour has it that in the next week or 2, travellers from england and galway are coming down to "sort things out".

i just think this is the start of something that will not end, as the original fella (frightened to say names, dont wanna get banned) owed a few thousand, and now houses, cars, 08 vans, 08 lexuses) have been burnt out. so its now a case of you do me i do you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

paddy1mac wrote: »
    The girl in my office who lives in kilcohan was just on to me to tell me that the house Crystal court that has been petrol bombed several times in the last few weeks was bombed again last night. I have just driven past and the house is damaged as well as a burnt out car in the driveway.

Now forgive me but surely this could have been prevented as it was targeted before. I only ever see checkpoints at Birchwood and have yet to see any in this estate.

This is a feud within a particular community and like every other community there are good and bad in it. We should't paint everyone in this community with the same brush but i havent heard too many voices from them coming out to condemn the violence or to put the publics mind at ease as to what steps they are taking if any to resolve the issue.

Yes house was hit again last , Car burn out, Two cops were put outside house . Soon after four or five full cars pull up outside house (Relations of Occupants ) with two cop cars following them ,All the car occupants where stop, searched and refused entry to house , Cars and passengers drove off , Soon after removal truck arrived and took away other undamage vehicles from front of residence.

All done at highest volume settings :mad:

As for cheekpoints here , God helps us that the cops may do something that might actually work,:mad::mad:

Thanks for the post Steven. Its always good to get an eye witnesses post. Its a shame that the Guards wont come out and reassure us, or explain whats happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Going back to how the cars got past the Farran Park checkpoint, I'm not certain if they came from Farren Park or were simply passing but with the speed there were going, it wouldn't take long to be out of sight of the Gardaí.

What can I say, it was a crazy night!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭buttonteaser

i passed one car comin in the old tramore road last nite. no lights on. although it had a flashin light on top. whether it was a cop car or not im not sure,. it looked like a red ford. maybe they have a new unmarked car. but either way which ever side they were on, with the speed they were goin id imagine they managed to get passed the checkpoint with ease. i had to slam the brakes and swerve out of the way as they were on my side of the road.

the town is falling apart.
    why there are not special units down here 24/7 il never know.

No lights on? That is weird. They do drive a red ford around the city alright. Its a common undercover car throughout Ireland and iv spotted them using localy registered ones in Waterford.

We had armed units in Waterford before Sproai - I think its time to get them down again.

yep no sirens or anything.
    i also phoned the garda station shortly after it to say it to them.
    they told me that there had been a call in about shots fired in the city so it may have been a cop car that had to turn and rush back into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭waterfordkick

All this is madness in our city ! the Gardai haven't a leg to stand on in a situation like this with guns being involved. Its about time the army was brought in. for the safety of the people in Waterford.

no not a hope.
    they seem to have a law on themselves.
    their untouchable.
    its frightening to think things have come to that.
    its gonna end up with people doing something about it taking the law into their own hands

Army might be a bit OTT when the Guards have an armed unit anyway. The problem is the courts leaving them get away with it tbh. If this was any other country, there ****e wouldnt be tollerated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

The guards are powerless unless they have the backing of the politicians. unless they stand behind the cops and aren't terrified of being called discriminators then its uselsess..they're just wasting their time and putting thir own necks on the line...for nothing.

I wouldnt blame em for being scared of facing people that carry slash hooks and shotguns !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 deegantbay

its crazy to think that this sort of behavour has gone on this long the Guards seem to be afraid to act on this community fro some reason. I know that if my family started a war around waterford we would all be detained for the publics safety

deegantbay wrote: »
    its crazy to think that this sort of behavour has gone on this long the Guards seem to be afraid to act on this community fro some reason. I know that if my family started a war around waterford we would all be detained for the publics safety

Wasn't the Limerick feud non-traveller connected, no? The Guards have yet to crack that problem (tho its not as bad lately).

The problem is our courts. You can commit a crime and the courts will leave you out in no time.

Maybe the cops should try catch them for no TV licences....seems ya deffo get jail time for that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Typhoon. wrote: »
    The guards are powerless unless they have the backing of the politicians. unless they stand behind the cops and aren't terrified of being called discriminators then its uselsess..they're just wasting their time and putting thir own necks on the line...for nothing.

I wouldnt blame em for being scared of facing people that carry slash hooks and shotguns !!!

hmmm this i agree with at the moment, however their will be enough anger and outrage generated by the public that the local politicans will have to been seen to be doing something about this mess unless they want to lose their seat in government.

Typhoon. wrote: »
    Maybe the cops should try catch them for no TV licences....seems ya deffo get jail time for that....

Its not the cops - its the courts. I feel sorry for the Guards having to deal with these low lives, getting them up to court with evidence and then getting screwed over by the easy going judge.

The guards get the bitching. Its hardly their fault the judge is lenient.

Thats my point....the judges are more likely to sentance ya for no TV licence

Sully wrote: »
    The problem is our courts. You can commit a crime and the courts will leave you out in no time.

Well, that's down to Irish law. There is a specific range of time with which someone can do for whatever crime they commit. But I assure you, any of these if caught won't be doing short time. Firing shotguns, slamming into a car with intent to do harm or kill, etc etc...

The real problem here Sully didn't just start over the past few months, but has always been a problem. The Gardaí have always been hesitant to interfere in the traveling communities affairs. The general reason for this is the amount of Gardaí that is required in order to enter a site, and apprehend someone for a crime. And typically, they feel that it's just not worth the hassle.

So what happens is that Travelers get away with minor crimes here and there, which in turn over the year creates a bubble around them. They feel that they are above the law and can get away with anything they want. This includes parking up on the sides of roads and having to be PAID to leave. Which I find disgusting. This in turn also means that when something goes down, Travelers just don't care about the Gardaí and really don't worry about them. They don't respect the law, so they will continue to act like this.

This is the real problem. Not the amount of time courts give to people.

So what do we do? Nothing we can do, and I'll tell you why.

If travelers are arrested with the excessive force that's required to apprehend them, then they will claim that they are being singled out because they are travelers and will make some sort of equality dispute. it's the politically correct world we live in, and that's something we're going to have to deal with.

I would like to see real EQUALITY. So when a traveling convoy parks up on the side of the road, law allows them to be removed within 24 hours - with force if necessary. If a traveler breaks any law, then they should be subjected to the same treated as a settled person. If that involves large scale Gardaí movement in order to apprehend Travelers for crimes, with which they would normally let them off with because of the hassle involved - Then so be it.

We need to all wake up to the reality of what's really happening it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

I think its time the word traveler was removed as a means of identifing a certain type of community.
    Let them be integrated into a more normal society ,if that is not acceptable they should be forced to obey the rules of society if not lock them up.
    Feuding families my *&^% common thugs more like it :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

This problem should've been nipped in the bud weeks ago. It's gone from a few scattered arson attacks and a big traveller debt to absolute insanity. It's literally gone so far that I doubt the law can do anything about it.

One night, two wrecked cars, two suicides, arson in kilcohan, and a paddywagon full of bullets.. when things get this bad, there's extremely little the law can do.

At the minimal, the Gardaí need to be armed - at least then they couldve killed the guys last night and made an example out of them. Although it'd be lovely to sit here talking about how words and arrests will solve everything in this, it's gone way too far for anything like that to even be considered anything but laughable any more.

Looks like things are going to get much worse before they get better.. I wouldn't be suprised if Vigilante groups started forming.

Advertisement