Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mayhem in johns street

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭FrankieMul

Bit more extreme then i was thinking! This stupid thing isnt registering all my replies. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: And i was thinking about moving into johns lane apartments nice. When 10000 students return should make for an interesting mix Sunday nights had already led to disputes between locals and students already last year! Anyway whats important is this feud has still kept mainly between the original agitators and that means it is still containable its when it leaves those confines that the situation becomes more complicated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Got a phone call from my bother yesterday (working in the Kazbar at the time it happened) he said the place was absolute carnage.

Sad state of affairs. I would never have thought i'd see this sort of thing happening in Waterford to tell the truth.

Very lucky no one was injured during it all.

Seems to me the travellers in the city are going absolutely mental with their feuding as of recently and not a thing is being done about it :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Sully wrote: »
    Its not the cops - its the courts. I feel sorry for the Guards having to deal with these low lives, getting them up to court with evidence and then getting screwed over by the easy going judge.

The guards get the bitching. Its hardly their fault the judge is lenient.

Have to agree with Sully here its not the gaurds fault....

The way I see it, is that the problem is the two families involved in the feud, they are causing the problems,
    The gaurds are under resourced and don't have the manpower in waterford to deal with type of feuding.
    They are trying to sort this out with in the confines of what they can legally do, and with the manpower they have.
    Most of the time they don't get the support of the communities, people not willing to make statements, or make offical reports, if people become blind or develop amnesia in relation to events, there is shag all the gaurds can do!!
    if we want this situation to change, people from all communities have to stand up and make themselves heard, make reoprts and stand over them. We need everyone to call their local politician, yes everyone individually to ring their local politician and ask them what as leaders of our communities are they doing to support the gaurds and help resolve this issue??? They work for us, and they need to remember that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

So your telling me that the Gardai and the council have came down on hard on people who abuse the halting site and deal with them properly?

I'm saying that in the past, evictions have been sought but they have been very difficult to enforce given the resources both entities have to work with and how notoriously uncooperative the travelling community are when it comes to dealing with the law.
    And your also telling me that every single member of the travelling community are all the same?

I'm saying far more than that, I'm saying that almost every single human is the same! It's human nature to stand by the ones you love. In the example case of your sister being arrested, it's only natural to assume innocence and it will take a lot to convince you otherwise. In that sense we're all the same, it's how we react to this feeling that makes us all different and the travelling communities response is usually a united one, regardless of how some individuals may feel.
    Clearly people disagree that council estates have a higher chance of anti-social behaviour then non-council estates.

Well I would strongly disagree with anyone who disagree. At the moment on the housing list, the majority are single mothers. Statistically, whatever estate they are allocated housing in will immediately have a higher chance of anti-social behaviour occuring.
    Im beginning to question your intelligence. Your replies are pretty sad. You cant seem to make a comment without throwing some sort of dig or insult.

Believe it or not, I was simply trying to mimic your own style of writing.
    As I said, even if a civil traveller who agreed not to harm a hair on your head for making such comments or get anyone to harm you asked you to make those comments - you wouldnt have the balls.

Poor example. Why the hell would I consider making such comments to the face of someone who has done nothing wrong?
    Just an example Adam - Travellers have always said that councills wont provide them with land. If there isnt enough funding in place - then it should be put in place.

The issue is with where this funding will come from. The only way the council can avoid public outcry is to magic up the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

From the Irish Times - http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/0818/1218868021014.html

Four held after car chase in Waterford

CIARÁN MURPHY

FOUR MEN were being questioned by gardaí in Waterford last night after eyewitness accounts emerged of a "high-speed" car chase in the city on Saturday evening, which resulted in a firearm allegedly being thrown into a city pub.

Eyewitnesses said one car rammed another up to 10 times on John Street at about 9.30pm on Saturday.

The chase, which continued on foot along Waterford's main thoroughfare, occurred as hundreds made their way to and from nearby pubs and restaurants.

The scenes ended when "one or two men burst past the bouncers" at a local establishment, while others came along and "threw a gun into the smoking area on the street" to the front of the bar, according to one eyewitness.

The Garda Press Office last night confirmed that four men were arrested on John Street on Saturday night.

"A firearm was recovered in a search of a nearby premises," a spokeswoman said.

"Two are being held in Dungarvan for questioning and two are being held in Tramore." The men could be held for up to 72 hours, it emerged.

One restaurant worker on John Street said he saw one car travelling "about 100 miles per hour and hit the other car".

A doorman working on a nearby pub, said: "They rammed it about eight times - smoke just kept coming out the front of it.

"The cops came along then and blocked off the road," he added.

"I just saw some men running up the street with others running after them with a gun," a customer at a neighbouring restaurant said.

Waterford City Councillor and Ballybeg resident Tom Murphy said last night: "People are terrified. I would just ask those involved to please stop and think about the consequences of their actions for all involved, especially the children."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

robtri wrote: »
    Have to agree with Sully here its not the gaurds fault....

The way I see it, is that the problem is the two families involved in the feud, they are causing the problems,
    The gaurds are under resourced and don't have the manpower in waterford to deal with type of feuding.
    They are trying to sort this out with in the confines of what they can legally do, and with the manpower they have.
    Most of the time they don't get the support of the communities, people not willing to make statements, or make offical reports, if people become blind or develop amnesia in relation to events, there is shag all the gaurds can do!!
    if we want this situation to change, people from all communities have to stand up and make themselves heard, make reoprts and stand over them. We need everyone to call their local politician, yes everyone individually to ring their local politician and ask them what as leaders of our communities are they doing to support the gaurds and help resolve this issue??? They work for us, and they need to remember that..

One question
    Where do you live ?
    Are you living in the middle of this or are you living a nice safe distance away ,
    I ask because it is very important ,your " stand up and be counted " statement will read different with the answer,
    If you are living in the middle then I say fair play and great balls , lets make a stand.
    However if you are saying all this from a nice warm and safe distance , me and my neighbours would/ will said F**K OFF with your on-line growen balls.
    It very easy to say all this if you do not have to live with the day to day fall out /consequences of such actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    One question
    Where do you live ?
    Are you living in the middle of this or are you living a nice safe distance away ,
    I ask because it is very important ,your " stand up and be counted " statement will read different with the answer,
    If you are living in the middle then I say fair play and great balls , lets make a stand.
    However if you are saying all this from a nice warm and safe distance , me and my neighbours would/ will said F**K OFF with your on-line growen balls.
    It very easy to say all this if you do not have to live with the day to day fall out /consequences of such actions.

Thank you so much. I have refrained from commenting on this subject until now because I know I would get slated for my views. But simply put personal opinion on these goings on and how to handle them will differ significantly between those living in Johns Park, Kilcohan and Ballybeg and those living outside of these areas.

My experiences over the last two months (yes it has been ONGOING over that time) have been very, very different to others living away from these estates. Alot of incidents have been unreported in the media which has resulted in me, personally, feeling like I live in a seperate world to friends in Gracedieu (sp), ferrybank, viewmount, etc.

The outcry on here and in the city following saturday nights events has actually left me angry and frustrated. While I completely agree that something must be done to quell this aggression, where the f*ck have you guys been the last 2 months? Obviously not on my street. I fail to see why its ok for them take over a number of estates in the city, perform arson attacks, very intimidating loitering, a complete disregard for the law and its only when this behaviour is seen on a busy street on a saturday night that people react.

Boohoo some peole were afraid to go into town for a few drinks after it. Well elsewhere people are afraid to sleep at night, park their car outside their house and fear for their childrens' safety while they sleep in their beds. If you live in the area, you'll agree with me. If you dont you'll probably accuse me of exaggerating things, come stay in my house for a weekend and we'll see how you feel then.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

AdMMM wrote: »
    I'm saying that in the past, evictions have been sought but they have been very difficult to enforce given the resources both entities have to work with and how notoriously uncooperative the travelling community are when it comes to dealing with the law.

I agree - but isnt it always a select group of them? For instance, in Tramore when notice was served they did leave without having to be foreced (only recently, according to Beat). Also, around the time they kicked up a fuss in Kilbarry - did the Gardai say it was a select few families causing problems to the dislike of others?

I fully agree that the large amount (and probably all) really have no regard for the law but im not convinced that every single members of the group are that violent and dangerous. Maybe im just to good natured - but I have met some (even settled ones) and heard stories. Its like, we only heard the nagative spin on things and never anything good and thats the same with everything. Whether it be trouble in Ballybeg or council houses always under the spot light for anti social behaviour.
    I'm saying far more than that, I'm saying that almost every single human is the same! It's human nature to stand by the ones you love. In the example case of your sister being arrested, it's only natural to assume innocence and it will take a lot to convince you otherwise. In that sense we're all the same, it's how we react to this feeling that makes us all different and the travelling communities response is usually a united one, regardless of how some individuals may feel.

I see exactly where your coming from here and its a very fair point.
    Well I would strongly disagree with anyone who disagree. At the moment on the housing list, the majority are single mothers. Statistically, whatever estate they are allocated housing in will immediately have a higher chance of anti-social behaviour occuring.

That system is flawed. Women are getting pregnant now to just get a house (according to a Beat Newes presentation a few weeks back). Sad state of affaris tbh.

But ya, agreed with you there.
    Believe it or not, I was simply trying to mimic your own style of writing.

Your last post was full of digs and general insults. If you cant converse without going to that level, perhaps you shouldnt be posting replies at all? (Thats not a threat, im just saying that in general).
    Poor example. Why the hell would I consider making such comments to the face of someone who has done nothing wrong?

Sorry im not explaining myself well enough. What I mean was, if a traveller had agreed to sit down and listen to peoples problems civily without causing a fuss. A traveller that say, has a criminal record and wouldnt be the nicest people to deal with.

You wont get as many people willing to come in and say something. Its the same with anything - people sit behind their PC screen and think they can throw around personal insults towards to her Boards users because its not face2face. If it was, they wouldnt be so brave!
    The issue is with where this funding will come from. The only way the council can avoid public outcry is to magic up the money.

Well im more aiming at the higher level tbh. Im just suggesting it might be a possibility - but it its done and failed then fine.

People think because im trying to be fair here and not tarnish them with the same brush im pro-traveller. I am not. I have no problem speaking out against what they do. They have caused nothing but hassle in Waterford alone. It disgusts me that nobody is willing to stand up (in terms of laws, courts and resources being made to guards) and try sort it all out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I saw two fights break out on the dancefloor last night and they were both involving women.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I saw two fights break out on the dancefloor last night and they were both involving women.

Have you decided on a time frame as to when "about" is supposed to be (your nick says your abouttobebanned :p)

Anyway, I assume that fight was related to the stabbing and it happened after. Can people not bloody settle their disputes without trying to kill each other? ffs

• Advertisement

sonners wrote: »
    Thank you so much. I have refrained from commenting on this subject until now because I know I would get slated for my views. But simply put personal opinion on these goings on and how to handle them will differ significantly between those living in Johns Park, Kilcohan and Ballybeg and those living outside of these areas.

My experiences over the last two months (yes it has been ONGOING over that time) have been very, very different to others living away from these estates. Alot of incidents have been unreported in the media which has resulted in me, personally, feeling like I live in a seperate world to friends in Gracedieu (sp), ferrybank, viewmount, etc.

The outcry on here and in the city following saturday nights events has actually left me angry and frustrated. While I completely agree that something must be done to quell this aggression, where the f*ck have you guys been the last 2 months? Obviously not on my street. I fail to see why its ok for them take over a number of estates in the city, perform arson attacks, very intimidating loitering, a complete disregard for the law and its only when this behaviour is seen on a busy street on a saturday night that people react.

Boohoo some peole were afraid to go into town for a few drinks after it. Well elsewhere people are afraid to sleep at night, park their car outside their house and fear for their childrens' safety while they sleep in their beds. If you live in the area, you'll agree with me. If you dont you'll probably accuse me of exaggerating things, come stay in my house for a weekend and we'll see how you feel then.

Excellent post. Fair play.

In news related to this, I assume you all know Gardai are looking for any witnesses to come forward. I assume people wont, as they are to afraid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Sully wrote: »
    Have you decided on a time frame as to when "about" is supposed to be (your nick says your abouttobebanned :p)

Anyway, I assume that fight was related to the stabbing and it happened after. Can people not bloody settle their disputes without trying to kill each other? ffs

I'll let you decide that ;)

I'd say it was related alright....I was watching these two girls dancing and next thing...smack right in the chops...the DJ was watching it and it was funny listening to him trying to alert security who weren't paying any attention..or maybe thought they were just dancing kinkily (they got up close and personal after the slap)

This was just an isolated interest at a bad time for our city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Waterford was never like this when i lived there.. Shame Waterford was a nice city back then, seems to have turned into a absolute kip now. Stuff like this makes me not even want to go down to visit friends there.

Imagine what its like for tourists thinking of comming to Waterford, they would be mad to even consider it !

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Manties wrote: »
    Waterford was never like this when i lived there.. Shame Waterford was a nice city back then, seems to have turned into a absolute kip now. Stuff like this makes me not even want to go down to visit friends there.

Imagine what its like for tourists thinking of comming to Waterford, they would be mad to even consider it !

I agree with ya, but where are ya now?

Because in fairness, even with all this sh*te goin on, Cork and Galway are the only cities that are in anyway "safer".

Seriously, Cark ftw.

It is a lovely city just like Limerick is just isolated incidents and this is really the first time it has left those area's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

KingLoser wrote: »
    I agree with ya, but where are ya now?

Because in fairness, even with all this sh*te goin on, Cork and Galway are the only cities that are in anyway "safer".

Seriously, Cark ftw.

Living in dublin.

Never seen or heard of anything like this up here since ive been here.

Awh Knocknaheeny salthill/knocknacarra are both very tough areas of both cities and drugs are brought in through cork they are just not feuding but criminal gangs exist everywhere even in large town such as Clonmel and Kilrush like!
    And as for Dublin?? Lucan finglas??? Not read about the on going west dublin feud that is in the news weekly!!!!!!

Manties wrote: »
    Living in dublin.

Never seen or heard of anything like this up here since ive been here.

Good for you man! (this is not even sarcasm!)

I'd take the odd culchee traveller fued over organised crime though........ :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    One question
    Where do you live ?

Rockman, no intention to upset you or anyone else,
    Where I live is of no importance here, all my point is that people keep slating the garda for not doing anything about whats going on, my point is that the garda hands are tied a lot, if people don't make complaints and stand over them...

• Advertisement

Totally agree society isnt standing up to this because its not affecting enough of it! Think north inner city dublin in the late 80's having anti drug marches down O'Connell st. Society has become careless and lazy towards social problems!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Good for you man! (this is not even sarcasm!)

I'd take the odd culchee traveller fued over organised crime though........ :o

Waterford isn't looking very good from what I've read here. At least Dublin is big enough to absorb some of the criminal activity that goes on there. However, to an outsider, Waterford just seems like a scary ****ehole. How are people supposed to distinguish between the settled and travelling communities. Isn't the ratio about 80% Travellers and 20% settled? And how many of those people are scumbags?

BTW Waterford consumes many of the drugs which cause criminal feuding in Dublin, Cork & Limerick, so it is part of that scene - just not important enough to have its own gang...

*note: this post is meant as 100% sarcasm and is only in reaction to KingLoser's gombeenism

Funnily enough, from experience, settled travellers are a lot nicer people then your day to day traveller.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Waterford isn't looking very good from what I've read here. At least Dublin is big enough to absorb some of the criminal activity that goes on there. However, to an outsider, Waterford just seems like a scary ****ehole. How are people supposed to distinguish between the settled and travelling communities. Isn't the ratio about 80% Travellers and 20% settled? And how many of those people are scumbags?

BTW Waterford consumes many of the drugs which cause criminal feuding in Dublin, Cork & Limerick, so it is part of that scene - just not important enough to have its own gang...

*note: this post is meant as 100% sarcasm and is only in reaction to KingLoser's gombeenism

As an insider, I can assure you.. it's not all that bad.

Sorry for being a gombeen and upsetting you. But like, it's a fact, there's more crime in Dublin than Waterford.

And that's per head, not just because there's a bazillion more people in the Pale. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

As an insider, I can assure you.. it's not all that bad.

Sorry for being a gombeen and upsetting you. But like, it's a fact, there's more crime in Dublin than Waterford.

And that's per head, not just because there's a bazillion more people in the Pale. :D

Sorry to disagree, but any time I have gone out in Waterford there are fights in the pubs & on the streets. It's a very intimidating place.

I haven't witnessed a fight in Dublin in over 5 years...

Sorry to disagree, but any time I have gone out in Waterford there are fights in the pubs & on the streets. It's a very intimidating place.

I haven't witnessed a fight in Dublin in over 5 years...

Hahahahahahahaha!

*click*

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

+1

What about the shooting in a club at the red cow i think could be wrong there this year! In a club like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If this thread is going to turned into a tit-for-tit feud between posters it should be locked. ;)

Mike

• Advertisement

I agree ok!

Advertisement