Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mayhem in johns street

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Would have to agree, however I dont partically want to see it locked, just cleaned up a bit and a few warning issued to people about remaining OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'll shut up now. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    One question
    Where do you live ?
    Are you living in the middle of this or are you living a nice safe distance away ,
    I ask because it is very important ,your " stand up and be counted " statement will read different with the answer,
    If you are living in the middle then I say fair play and great balls , lets make a stand.
    However if you are saying all this from a nice warm and safe distance , me and my neighbours would/ will said F**K OFF with your on-line growen balls.
    It very easy to say all this if you do not have to live with the day to day fall out /consequences of such actions.

100% agreed. I don't live in the areas most affected by this issue, but I have in-laws who have lived there and moved out to a different area as they didn't want their children growing up with the hassle and danger, and other inlaws who are still living in these areas, getting their tyres slashed every week and threats made against them because they did stand up and make a report to the council against certain anti-social elements.

The point is we need to have mechanisms in place that allow for reports to be made, and swift action to be taken against those involved in the anti-social behavior. If you make a report, it should be taken seriously and investigated ASAP, and if it's found to be true, action needs to be taken swiftly - remove the anti-social elements; there is a lot of talk about regulations whereby if you are involved in anti-social behaviour you are then giving up your right to have council housing provided to you as you have broken the terms of tenancy. Enforce these rules and stop humming and hawing and wringing hands. If there are tangible repercussions to acting in this way (ie you're out on your ear with your entire family with you, traveller or not) then there might be less of an attitude of being able to act as you please with no fear of retribution. This needs emphatic support from all authorities involved, from cops to councils.

I'm sure families might start policing themselves then as if little Jimmy is acting in a way that means mammy, daddy and 5 siblings will lose their house, little Jimmy will be more likely to have his parents come down hard on him and curtail his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Sorry to disagree, but any time I have gone out in Waterford there are fights in the pubs & on the streets. It's a very intimidating place.

I haven't witnessed a fight in Dublin in over 5 years...

I go out in Waterford at least once a week and rarely see a fight/ row.
    Its not a bad place

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Would have to agree, however I dont partically want to see it locked, just cleaned up a bit and a few warning issued to people about remaining OT.

It can be easily cleaned up, but the problem is doing it upsets a lot of people and I get a shower of complaints. Same with getting rid of people who just refuse to keep on topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

Didnt waterford hold the title of "stab city" not too long ago? for the most murders per persons?

To be honest i believe its at fault of the Gardai and laziness. They in turn blame it on "paper work", but i think if they got there finger out for a second and copped on justice could be brought on those who deserve it fairly lively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Sorry to disagree, but any time I have gone out in Waterford there are fights in the pubs & on the streets. It's a very intimidating place.

I haven't witnessed a fight in Dublin in over 5 years...

Thats a load of Crap, just cause you dont see the fights doesnt mean they dont happen, Dublin bigger than Waterford therefore more spread out, so you guys dont have just the one street that is going to be really busy @ weekend, it bound to cause trouble having all pubs/clubs together colsing at the same time etc , as for waterford being and intimidating place, i feel more intimidated standing at the Luas some days in Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

By the way was the stabbing related to the fued?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

No it was not. Thats according to Local News reports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

No dont think so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I must be lucky so. I'm out almost every weekend and have never seen a fight break out! When I'm not going out, I'm working in a bar and have never had any incidents!

[edit]Seems I was replying having not refreshed the page in over two hours[/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

although i hevnt been in waterford in months, even when i was there i would see the odd fight break out on a saturday night down by the Bermuda triangle,but would never personally feel threathened. Having said that though its sad to see that we need a major incident to get some sort of reform pushed though the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

magick wrote: »
    although i hevnt been in waterford in months, even when i was there i would see the odd fight break out on a saturday night down by the Bermuda triangle,but would never personally feel threathened. Having said that though its sad to see that we need a major incident to get some sort of reform pushed though the courts.

What's even sadder is that because it's in W'ford, it probably wont be considered "major" and will push nothing through.

Wait 'til they park their caravans in Ballsbridge, and we might see some reform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Front page of today's Star newspaper says what happened Sat night was the older brother of the young lad who was shot at last week retaliating on his behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

In fairness, if someone shot my brother with a shotun - I'd have no qualms about chasing them down. So I can understand the mindframe of the guy. It still doesn't excuse all of this nonsense that's going on over the past few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Sully wrote: »
    You wont get as many people willing to come in and say something. Its the same with anything - people sit behind their PC screen and think they can throw around personal insults towards to her Boards users because its not face2face. If it was, they wouldnt be so brave!

Those are the ones that tend to have the slash hooks sully. No point saying what you want in front of them and then they see you out and about another time and take you to task over your errant views on travellers violent and vengeful tendancies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

BTW, funeral of the lad who killed himself was today....I presume it all went off without fuss

How old was the guy who committed suicide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

From the Irish Times - http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/0820/1219158421093.html

Eleven in court over ongoing feud

CIARÁN MURPHY

ELEVEN MEN have appeared in court since Monday evening charged in connection with an ongoing dispute between members of the Travelling community in Waterford city.

Some of them have appeared in connection with a "high-speed chase", which led to a ramming incident on Saturday evening.

Thomas Burke snr (51), Crystal Court, Kilcohan, Waterford, yesterday appeared in connection with dangerous driving and criminal damage charges on August 16th. Thomas Burke (24), Blackberry Fields, Carrickpherish,Waterford, was charged with public order offences. Both were granted bail to appear on October 7th.

Michael Burke, Grange Cohen in the city, was charged with the possession of firearms on August 16th and was granted bail to appear at the court on October 7th.

John Burke (27), Kilcohan Park, Michael Burke snr (60), Farran Park, and Anthony McDonagh (24), Aisling Court, were charged with carrying out an assault causing harm to Christopher Stokes at the Six Cross Road in Waterford on July 12th.

They will appear in court again on October 7th.

Thomas O'Grady (27), Farran Park, who is being treated for a medical condition in hospital, must also appear again on October 7th in connection with public-order offences.

John Mongan (31), Ardmore Park in Ballybeg, appeared at the court charged with two counts of criminal damage and one public order offence.

Mr Mongan was also granted continuing bail and will appear at the court again on October 14th.

Meanwhile, three men were granted bail at a special sitting of the court on Monday night.

Kieran Phelan (34), Old Loughlin Court, and Mark O'Grady, Fatima Place, both in Kilkenny, were charged with possession of a stolen Beretta shotgun in Waterford city on August 16th.

They are due back in court on August 26th.

Michael Stokes of no fixed abode was charged with dangerous driving at John Street on that date. He will appear in court again on September 9th.

Judge Gerard Haughton applied special bail conditions in relation to all the men's bail.

The parties must reside at certain addresses supplied to the court. They must make themselves available to gardaí when required, must observe curfews and sign on at Garda stations as directed by the court.

Finally, they must stay out of Waterford where requested and must agree to keep the peace.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Good to see they (or at least most) were nabbed and are forced on a curfew and special requirements. If these are connected to a traveller feud - and since they are not living in caravans - I assume there settled travellers?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm curious, how often do these people have to sign on in a Gardai station?
    I'm hoping its everyday just to inconvience them!

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'm curious, how often do these people have to sign on in a Gardai station?
    I'm hoping its everyday just to inconvience them!

Either once a day or once a week IIRC, depending on the crime committed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

bamp!

I understand the court case for this has just gone through the courts in the last few weeks. but I cant find the outcome anywhere.

anyone know what the verdict was?

I was on jury duty for a different case on the same week - Apparently when I left, there was a big fight just outside the court between them. The next day when I came in, there was 20 Gardaí outside the court, and another 10 or so inside. Must have been some commotion! One of the guys had a huge scar down the side of his face - from one of his previous battles I presume!

No idea on the verdict though - I heard they were putting it back.. Not sure how accurate that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

2 and half ****ing years?????????! Its only the circuit court for petes sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ah the thread that brought me to this site in the 1st place.Memories :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I forgot about this and saw on the main page and I thought that it had over 200 posts in an hour. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

I read about the court case involving three of the accused on the more serious crimes (the incident outside the Kazbah). They had a court report in the News & Star about two or three weeks ago.

The case was thrown out of court because key witnesses wouldn't testify.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

eiresandra wrote: »
    I read about the court case involving three of the accused on the more serious crimes (the incident outside the Kazbah). They had a court report in the News & Star about two or three weeks ago.

The case was thrown out of court because key witnesses wouldn't testify.

Some bull that is!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Thought it was thrown out cos it would have only lead to more violence or something stupid like that

Advertisement