Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

does anyone know if the toyota corella 1.4 d4d is underpowered

Options
  • 16-08-2008 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

hi i was thinking of buying a a toyota 1.4 d4d for my second car i own a ford mondeo 05 tddi it was a great car but i want to change now i really liked it it had 90bhp that is what the toyota 1.4 d4d is supposed to have the same but i hears it was underpowered was wandering is this true

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the TDDI Mondeo is underpowered too, so it shouldn't be a hardship.

It's all relative, it's not supposed to be fast, it can easily overtake etc. much moreso than any 1.4 petrol car in that class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

hi i was thinking of buying a a toyota 1.4 d4d for my second car i own a ford mondeo 05 tddi it was a great car but i want to change now i really liked it it had 90bhp that is what the toyota 1.4 d4d is supposed to have the same but i hears it was underpowered was wandering is this true

Underpowered is relative.

If the Corolla has the same power as your Mondeo, it'll more than likely be faster than the Mondeo.

If you used to drive a 535d Sport, it'll be slow, but for the general motorist it's a fine car.

The only way to know these things is to drive one, everyone's view on here will be subjective.

It is surprisingly nippy.
    Perfectly acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 focusst225owner

i was just wondering because i have a fast car but my mondeo is not that slow but i think the toyota is not a nice car in side but it has a nice price tag

Why are you not thinking Focus TDCI then? seeing as you drive an ST?

• Advertisement

i own a fast car so it does not have to be very fast the is the most reliable car i ever ownedd 1 have 230000km on the clock is very economical cheap servicing and cheap parts i never had any trouble

i was thinking of the focus tdci it is a lovely car to drivve reliable faster better looking but i was just wondering because it depends on the best deal

Toyotas are rarely cheaper than Fords. and Ford generally give better trade ins on other Fords, so if the "best deal" means the cheapest like-for-like cost to change, then you're unlikely to end up with the Corolla.

g

there's no harm in trying though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

g
    postcount ++

ok thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

i drove a corolla 1.4 d on a test drive some time ago, it was on country roads in poor conditions so I couldn't really drive on as i would have liked

no complaints, the car held the wet road well eventhough tyres had seen better days.

not the liveliest diesel i have driven & eventhough my friend who was interested in the car eventually bought a petrol model I would have no hesitation buying 1 at the right price

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

drive one it the only way to know

what underpowered is to one person is different to what others may thinkl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I had a 06 1.4 d4d Corolla. I thought it was great. It was very nippy. I had a 1.9 golf before that. Both were 90bhp, the golf had more power for pulling, but the corolla was nippier, faster, and better handling. It was a very solid car. If you weren't carrying anything in back or boot or pulling anything, Id defo recommend the Corolla. 100% reliable - only had to put in a set of brake pads after 150k km.
    My o/h has a 08 Auris 1.4 d4d. I have driven it a lot. Its not as nice as the corolla to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I've driven a 1.4 D4D corrolla van and found it nippy. Nice car to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭DaMonk

how many mpg are you talking with the corolla too? I'd say it'd run on the smell of diesel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

DaMonk wrote: »
    how many mpg are you talking with the corolla too? I'd say it'd run on the smell of diesel...

51 litres of diesel was able to do 940km(the light came on). Work that out in gallons and miles and you'll have your answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭DaMonk

reilig wrote: »
    51 litres of diesel was able to do 940km(the light came on). Work that out in gallons and miles and you'll have your answer.
    Roughly 53mpg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

kbannon wrote: »
    postcount ++
    lol!

• Advertisement
Advertisement