Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone having problems with eircom webmail?

Options
  • 16-08-2008 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ozypozy

Not sure if I've posted in the right place as I'm not too familiar with the site yet but is anybody else experiencing problems with the eircom webmail site tonight? Keeps telling me that they can't find mailbox or something! :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Why on earth would you be using eircom mail?

go sign up for gmail and setup fowarding on eircom to your gmail account.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

brim4brim wrote: »
    Why on earth would you be using eircom mail?

go sign up for gmail and setup fowarding on eircom to your gmail account.

Unhelpful post and leaves the OP none the wiser, but to clarify, Eircom mail doesn't support forwarding but you can set the Gmail account to retrieve from it.

ozypozy, no problem here. Just signed into 5 eircom accounts without a problem. You sure your login details are correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Unhelpful post and leaves the OP none the wiser, but to clarify, Eircom mail doesn't support forwarding but you can set the Gmail account to retrieve from it.

ozypozy, no problem here. Just signed into 5 eircom accounts without a problem. You sure your login details are correct?

Well I tried signing into my eircom account but since its been about 3-4 years, it seems they have deleted it. I am using the correct password but nothing.

My last memory of it is being flooded with spam and eircom trying to charge for a spam filter service :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ozypozy

kaisersoze, loving the user name!!
    Thanks for your helpful reply. Its back to normal now but has been a bit dodgy since they changed it a while back. Thanks again!

On a side note I received an email telling me that my account will be upgraded. They've been advertising the new eircom webmail for months so it looks like it's finally been implemented.

Maybe it'll have a spam filter to cut out the huge numbers of spam it gets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Miley

Just tried webmail there and my password was not accepted. When i tried changing it, my new password was not accepted even though it contained 7 characters including a number.
    Something strange going on with it alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 parkier12

I had the problem described of not being able to check eircom.net emails in outlook or outlook express or on my mobile phone. this only applied to the email accounts that had been migrated to the new service.

They said in the tech pages same user name, same password, same server - mail1.eircom.net. Couldnt get in, address not authenticated, error code - cant remember but ended 000cf
    Got the answer this morning on my mobile phone - you know, when you stop on a page and it helpfully tells you what it is all about!

It said to change mail1.eircom.net to webmail.eircom.net. I did, and it now works on my mobile phone and in outlook express. Adding later: Now back on my PC, it received email using the server name webmail.eircom.net, but sent using mail1.eircom.net. Not an expert but this worked for me.

Will look more kindly in future at the mutterings on the mobile phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'd never use gmail.
    less secure and Google's bots read it. I've used many Irish ISPs emails no problem, I've not understood why people think hotmail, yahoo or gmail are better, esp since there is more likely hood of US snooping and getting regarded as someone that *ONLY* has access from a web cafe. I do have MSN, yahoo and gmail email accounts, but they are not used.

If you only ever have web cafe access, then maybe there is an argument for foreign / US web mail services.

I archive all my mail too, so when I do use Web interface to any of my ISP accounts I don't delete it. It all gets archived on two separte computers.

I also have domains and email with them. Anyone using email for business should get someone to host a suitable domain and have their personalised email address they can move from supplier to supplier. That can cost less than €30 a year and have Web and POP/IMAP interfaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭April Raine

watty wrote: »
    and getting regarded as someone that *ONLY* has access from a web cafe.
    and some 'business' people can only be contacted by yahoo/hotmail addresses which i think very amateur and would be wary of

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Come on watty, you hardly think that any of the Irish ISPs have any protection from snooping by the NSA etc :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

watty wrote: »
    I'd never use gmail.
    less secure and Google's bots read it. I've used many Irish ISPs emails no problem, I've not understood why people think hotmail, yahoo or gmail are better, esp since there is more likely hood of US snooping and getting regarded as someone that *ONLY* has access from a web cafe. I do have MSN, yahoo and gmail email accounts, but they are not used.

If you only ever have web cafe access, then maybe there is an argument for foreign / US web mail services.

I archive all my mail too, so when I do use Web interface to any of my ISP accounts I don't delete it. It all gets archived on two separte computers.

I also have domains and email with them. Anyone using email for business should get someone to host a suitable domain and have their personalised email address they can move from supplier to supplier. That can cost less than €30 a year and have Web and POP/IMAP interfaces.
    Googles bots only read the contents of a email message for the purpose of displaying the ads I thought?

Nick

But you trust a US advertising company and trust the US Government not to read them?

maybe if it's all personal trivia it doesn't matter. You have nothing to fear if innocent (TM)

Come on watty, you hardly think that any of the Irish ISPs have any protection from snooping by the NSA etc :rolleyes:

Most of the non USA owned Irish ISPs are not run like Shannon Airport. They indeed have same protection from US NSA as from Hackers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

Just one day after being migrated to the new eircon webmail, I find I can't get into it at all now. I've been trying all evening and all I get is 'Cannot Find Server'.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭barneyeile

Same here. I can't log in tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

I can't log in either (either through webmail or Outlook)

Working again now, but it took nearly 24 hours for me to be able to log in! Ridiculous. I could of missed something important!

barneyeile wrote: »
    Working again now, but it took nearly 24 hours for me to be able to log in! Ridiculous. I could of missed something important!

Why are you depending on a free and unreliable Eircom email service for anything important?
    Anyone that does needs their head examined tbh.

I have had eircom webmail since I got connected to the internet about 6 years ago, I have not seen any reason to change this. After last night I might change my mind! What's the best email to use in peoples opinion?

barneyeile wrote: »
    I have had eircom webmail since I got connected to the internet about 6 years ago, I have not seen any reason to change this. After last night I might change my mind! What's the best email to use in peoples opinion?

To quote Watty from a few posts ago:
    Anyone using email for business should get someone to host a suitable domain and have their personalised email address they can move from supplier to supplier. That can cost less than €30 a year and have Web and POP/IMAP interfaces.
    And not only businesses. You can register a domain name like www.barneyeile.com and a basic hosting package from Blacknight, Hosting365 or Digiweb for small money and setup as many email addresses as you need. Then you have full control of them.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the information above, I may just look into that.

€30 a year for email??? :eek: preposterous !! Use Gmail for free...well it's what I do anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Go to tools --->accounts--->click on eircom e-mail address---->change incoming server to webmail.eircom.net. Out going stays the same (mail1.eircom.net)

If you still cannot access your account its probably because when you were moved over to the new mail system a number was required in the password field. So if you used a password without a number add a 1 to the end of your normal password and you should get access.

Go to tools --->accounts--->click on eircom e-mail address---->change incoming server to webmail.eircom.net. Out going stays the same (mail1.eircom.net)
    That solves the problem they had until yesterday.
    If you still cannot access your account its probably because when you were moved over to the new mail system a number was required in the password field. So if you used a password without a number add a 1 to the end of your normal password and you should get access.
    Then their authentication system went tits up for about 20 hours so you couldn't access either by POP or webmail. Nothing to do with wrong passwords. Either way Eircom passwords had to be alpha-numeric and a minimum of 6 characters for as long as I can remember.

If you cant access it, first, try changing your incoming server address to webmail.eircom.net, if using outlook or outlook express.

If you can't get any joy this way, try accessing it in your web browser - type in https://secure.eircom.net/Email/login.htm in your web browser address bar, and when the page loads, kill the advanced features by ticking the box, and key in your usual and see if that works. Failing that sling off an email to the helpful guys at webmail.feedback at eircom.net. They DO reply but it usually takes a few emails to get it right in terms of what they think you want - a link to Tips and Tricks will be suggested first...:confused: I am only one step away from being confused myself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CB1

Since the switchover to the new webmail, all my previous emails and contact details have been deleted and despite a couple of requests to Eircom "support" I have had no joy in gettting them back. Anyone else experience this problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭April Raine

I can get my windows mail/outlook for some addresses on one pc some on the other and some on neither

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

CB1 wrote: »
    Since the switchover to the new webmail, all my previous emails and contact details have been deleted and despite a couple of requests to Eircom "support" I have had no joy in gettting them back. Anyone else experience this problem?
    yeah same problem here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

eircom are still using POP, yes? If so, once you view the message online or download it to your PC using Windows Mail, Thunderbird or whatever mail client you use, that email is no longer available to be redownloaded, either to a browser (webmail) or a mail client.

Best thing to do if you want a single archive that can be accessed using a webmail interface and using multiple mail clients is so set up a Gmail account and have it fetch your eircom mail. This uses IMAP instead of POP so this issue is no longer.

• Advertisement

I have several email accounts with eircom, and so far only one of them has been migrated into the new swankier system, so only one of my accounts has needed the server changed for incoming emails from mail1.eircom.net to webmail.eircom.net. I have found that setting up mail forwarding on the new system causes emails to be undeliverable. I gor answers from feedback.webmail@eircom.net if I sent a second or third email in response to their "have you checked our tips page" or something similar. Beyond that I can only suggest that if you download to your PC you check th incoming server, and if the account has not been migrated then do not change this, but do if migrated - you can tell this if you check emails online and access your account. If it opens in the new interface (they ALL use the initial new window for login, but will only continue to the new second interface page if you account has been moved; otherwise they will open in the classic page - the old version).

So, if you check emails on your PD rather than on eircom.net and find your account has stopped delivering your emails to you, then try changing the incoming server as you may have been migrated, and do not change it otherwise. Lost emails? YOu could try checking them in Outlook if you normally check them online I suppose, long odds but I have found that checking them online, where it used to mean they would not be delivered to your PC via Outlook or OE, now means they come to your PC the next time you check via OE or Outlook. Might be worth trying in an attempt to get your lost emails back. The worst part is no ongoing information on the website. After that I dont know.

Well, just ocurred to me. My old emails were moved from my online inbox to a folder called Hold, and this was at the bottom of the list of folder, under the links to Eircom sports and breaking news, and I had to scroll down to get to them. Thought?

Advertisement