Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car tax on a new car?

Options
  • 16-08-2008 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi guys am picking up 06 passat thursday. the car has been sitting for last 6 months and has no tax. when will i need to tax this? how long will i get away without it?

i have 4 months tax left on the audi im tradeing in , am tempted to just stick in audi tax disc :eek:. my mates a garda so stamping wont be a problem.

any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

If you get stopped at a checkpoint youd better have a convincing excuse and /or the gift of the gab or car may be taken on the spot...If you park in a public place without tax a BIG fine may be got .If they find you have 'fake' tax disc (unlikely I spose...)Id say theyd throw the book at ya ...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

audismelly wrote: »
    Hi guys am picking up 06 passat thursday. the car has been sitting for last 6 months and has no tax. when will i need to tax this?
    Straight away.
    how long will i get away without it?
    Maybe an hour, maybe a week, maybe a month. Honestly, how the f*ck would we know?
    i have 4 months tax left on the audi im tradeing in , am tempted to just stick in audi tax disc :eek:.
    Don't you think the garage might notice?
    my mates a garda so stamping wont be a problem.
    Stamping is never a problem.
    any tips?
    Tax the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you're only liable for tax from the start of August.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

any tips?
    Don't eat yellow snow..:)

Apart from that - pay the tax like the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

What ^^ they said.

Take it straight to a Garda Station, get the form stamped and go to the tax office. Should tak a total of about 2 hours at a push.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ninty9er wrote: »
    What ^^ they said.

Take it straight to a Garda Station, get the form stamped and go to the tax office. Should tak a total of about 2 hours at a push.

Theres no need to go near a Garda station. He just taxes it when he gets the VLC.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Anan1 wrote: »
    Maybe an hour, maybe a week, maybe a month. Honestly, how the f*ck would we know?
    ROFL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭audismelly

Straight away.
    Don't you think the garage might notice?
    Stamping is never a problem.
    Tax the car?
    its my disc so how would garage notice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

You're right - they're all thick - go for it.

:rolleyes:

The disc is the property of the state, like your passport and driving licence. Plus the reg of the Audi will be on it;)

@stekelly...he'll need an off the road declaration to tax it without paying the 6 months backtax.

• Advertisement

@stekelly...he'll need an off the road declaration to tax it without paying the 6 months backtax.

No he wont, he's not liable for previous owners tax (or lack thereof)

OP if you are stopped with the worng tax disc you are better off eating it before a Gard gets hold of it because it will only get you in more trouble.

The disc is the property of the state, like your passport and driving licence. Plus the reg of the Audi will be on it;)

oh right cheers guys il prob tax her for sep onwards so.
    just checking ,love the site, great info.
    property of state:D

Stekelly wrote: »
    No he wont, he's not liable for previous owners tax (or lack thereof)
    He is if he turns up without the cert. I had to get my last car declared off the road to avoid paying 4 months backtax on it.

He is if he turns up without the cert. I had to get my last car declared off the road to avoid paying 4 months backtax on it.

Turns up where and without what cert?

Your only liable for tax from the start of the month that the ownership chages to you, What went on before you took ownership is irrelevant.

Turns up where and without what cert?

Turns up at a motor tax office to pay without an off the road cert (RF100A) stamped by a Garda.

Turns up at a motor tax office to pay without an off the road cert (RF100A) stamped by a Garda.

As I already said above, it doesnt matter that it wasnt taxed before he bought it.

As I already said above, it doesnt matter that it wasnt taxed before he bought it.

He still needs to prove it! And he won't have a VLC for at least a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You're right, but the OP's suggesting taxing the car from September - this will require a stamped cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Previous owner should get it declared off the road, you should only have to tax if from point-of-ownership on.

If they won't get it declared off the road, you should do it yourself. I've never been questioned when getting that stamped by Gardai, they're happy enough to do it without documentary evidence.

Your general attitude towards the law seems lax though, audismelly, you'll do yourself a disservice.
    There's no need to take the disk from your Audi, you don't need it.
    If you're caught using it on another car you'll compound your punishment.
    The garage will notice it gone from the trade-in (I know I would...).

Declare it off the road before your ownership and tax it immediately. It's fair, equitable and easy. You're only making trouble for yourself by doing otherwise.

You're right, but the OP's suggesting taxing the car from September - this will require a stamped cert.

Well he was actually propesing postponiong taxign it indefinately originally, but I assumed we'd moved past that and all agreed he was taxign it straight away. :)
    He still needs to prove it! And he won't have a VLC for at least a month.

They wont look for anything off him from before he owned it and why would they ? How is he to know where the car was or wht it's tax status was before he bought it. It's no concern of his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Once you have proof that you've just bought the car (I presume you'll be getting a receipt of some sort) the Gards won't bother you. You can't physically tax the car until you get the VLC. Just get it done asap as you could still be done while you're parked somewhere.
    Stekelly's right - you are in no way liable for tax arrears when you buy a car (read the back of the tax renewal form people!) and there's absolutely no need to declare it off the road before you bought it.

eamon234 wrote: »
    Once you have proof that you've just bought the car (I presume you'll be getting a receipt of some sort) the Gards won't bother you. You can't physically tax the car until you get the VLC. Just get it done asap as you could still be done while you're parked somewhere.
    Stekelly's right - you are in no way liable for tax arrears when you buy a car.

thanks and cheers audi chris,il get it done asap so

AudiChris wrote: »
    Previous owner should get it declared off the road, you should only have to tax if from point-of-ownership on.

If they won't get it declared off the road, you should do it yourself. I've never been questioned when getting that stamped by Gardai, they're happy enough to do it without documentary evidence.

Finally, somebody gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

so will you be changing your name?

I suggest Smelly VAG :D

Finally, somebody gets it.

Someone gets what? He's not liable for previous owners tax, end of. The date of change of ownership on thats on the form when it sent off is all that concerns him, nothing before that date has any consequence.

ah we mite stick with it,was a great a4.

the air conditioning was a bit smelly though.
    changed pollen filters, recharged ,tried sprays ,cleaners could not kill it:mad:

LOL

Could never understand blokes driving cars named after girlie bits...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

AudiChris wrote: »
    I've never been questioned when getting that stamped by Gardai, they're happy enough to do it without documentary evidence.

They are only there to witness what ur saying. They don't query what u are saying.

@OP, just tax ur tax, if ur buying from a dealer they should have the form, and if it's temporarily in their name they might tax it for u if u ask nicely.

They are only there to witness what ur saying. They don't query what u are saying.

@OP, just tax ur tax, if ur buying from a dealer they should have the form, and if it's temporarily in their name they might tax it for u if u ask nicely.

yeah mite do that. im going on holiday 3 days after i pick it up so resent paying for the month of august:rolleyes:
    yeah the garage would tax it indeed your spot on,heard them taxing another buyers car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I've got some letters for you:
    y o y o y o y o

please feel free to use them in your next post (in other words: no more textspeak, please)

Advertisement