Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car tax on a new car?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

audismelly wrote: »
    Hi guys am picking up 06 passat thursday. the car has been sitting for last 6 months and has no tax. when will i need to tax this? how long will i get away without it?

i have 4 months tax left on the audi im tradeing in , am tempted to just stick in audi tax disc :eek:. my mates a garda so stamping wont be a problem.

any tips?

:D:D:D

Tax Discs for sale (reely cheep) ;) don't share this link

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Audi Chris's idea is great except for one small detail;

If the garage that you're buying the car from has completed an RF105 (change of vehicle ownership to a dealer), which they should have - then the Passat is no longer in the previous owners name.

The tax office will allow the garage in question to tax the car for 3 months straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Sorry, by previous owner I mean the garage - I would put the onus on them to get the forms stamped to declare the car off the road so that you only have to pay motor tax from the date (month) of purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭audismelly

Hotwheels wrote: »

nice one:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

AudiChris wrote: »
    declare the car off the road so that you only have to pay motor tax from the date (month) of purchase.

Regardless of what the garage do he will only have to pay from when (begining of the month) he purchases it.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    Regardless of what the garage do he will only have to pay from when (begining of the month) he purchases it.

correct. of course your not going to backdate a car where you were not the registered owner

So if you buy a car from a garage the tax office will automatically know the previous owner was a garage and will only charge you from the month of purchase? There's no additional paperwork?

(I haven't bought a car in a while, I'm not clear on this).

So if you buy a car from a garage the tax office will automatically know the previous owner was a garage and will only charge you from the month of purchase? There's no additional paperwork?

(I haven't bought a car in a while, I'm not clear on this).

Yeah , your only liable for things from the day you buy it. I dont know if they know the previous owner was a garg but it makes no difference if it was privatly owned, garage owned or owned by the taoiseach (to the new owner)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think I know where the confusion is coming from, assuming the OP signs the change of ownership form today:

Audismelly is only liable for tax from the beginning of this month.

But the car has no tax disc. Audismelly wants a tax disc straight away and doesn't want to wait for the Dept to process the change of ownership and then send back the reg cert - in which case, the change of ownership would be recorded on the cert as being in August and he'd automatically be charged from the beginning of the month. - but he'd be driving around without tax for at least 2 weeks, which brings him into September.

One way around this is for the garage to tax it in their own name from the start of August to the end of October, presuming they've done an RF105 into their name (If they haven't they can still tax the car for 3 months if they bring a completed RF105 along with a completed RF100A form (tax renewal form) and a copy of the garage insurance cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

peasant wrote: »
    I've got some letters for you:

please feel free to use them in your next post (in other words: no more textspeak, please)

In all fairness, it's just force of habit. I could be doing alot worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Wizard007

Totally off topic I know but ever so slightly related. I remember in the 80's my Dad had a car and Mom had not. Mom not having a car was a nightmare for her as she had to drop Dad 11 miles to work in the morning, then come home, get all of us ready for school (there were 8 of us), do school run, shopping etc etc, do afternoon school run, get dinner, rush out and collect Dad from work.

Anyway ye get the picture.

Dad had a second car he picked up in a yard for parts, same make, model and colour. So he got a brainwave.....He'd put the car on the road so they would both have their own car. Not willing to fork out for second insurance and a second tax disc (the huge differance so little money made in those days) he made up two number plates identical to the original car and stuck them on it. Copied the insurance disc and tax disc, on to the window they went:eek: I can not remember exactly how long it lasted for but it was funny. I could be at our local village and one red renault with number plate such and such would go up the road and the other come down. Someone would be looking for Dad, "he's at such a place" "no he's not, I saw his car where-ever just while ago"

Anyway, just something this thread reminded me of. And please, no moral high ground comments :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Wizard007 wrote: »
    Anyway, just something this thread reminded me of. And please, no moral high ground comments :)

Lol expect loads from the always moral boardsies.

Funny story, i'm can imagine one car passing through a check point, and 20 seconds later the same car with some1 else driving it passes through again haha

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I think I know where the confusion is coming from, assuming the OP signs the change of ownership form today:

Audismelly is only liable for tax from the beginning of this month.

But the car has no tax disc. Audismelly wants a tax disc straight away and doesn't want to wait for the Dept to process the change of ownership and then send back the reg cert - in which case, the change of ownership would be recorded on the cert as being in August and he'd automatically be charged from the beginning of the month. - but he'd be driving around without tax for at least 2 weeks, which brings him into September.

One way around this is for the garage to tax it in their own name from the start of August to the end of October, presuming they've done an RF105 into their name (If they haven't they can still tax the car for 3 months if they bring a completed RF105 along with a completed RF100A form (tax renewal form) and a copy of the garage insurance cert.
    thanks colm thats exactly my prob,id be losing a month.
    i doubt the garage would tax it in there own name though.
    cheers though ,you explained it better than i could. the moral high grounders just see black and white

audismelly wrote: »
    the moral high grounders just see black and white

The law tends to work that way and is quite clear. You knew you were asking how to avoid paying tax (for as long as possible to begin with) so I dont think your in a position to moan about people taking the high ground.

Stekelly wrote: »
    The law tends to work that way and is quite clear. You knew you were asking how to avoid paying tax (for as long as possible to begin with) so I dont think your in a position to moan about people taking the high ground.
    so u never break the speed limit or stay in a pub after closing time?
    i was just putting the question out there .my boss at work staggers his tax 3mnths on off and gets his mate to siqn it off,i was just curious.
    nevermind pay tax for the month of august when il just drive it for two to three days.
    i wasnt sure so i put the question out there .is that a crime?

If it's all about August, would you not go to the Gardai in Sept and get it stamped off the road to end of August?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Wizard007

Lads, ye have it all wrong. Don't tax the car at all. Sure, if you get caught your contact in the guards will surely dig you out of trouble. And, if you weight up the chances and amount of times against the cost of tax, well you just might make a saving :) Happy days!!!!!:rolleyes:

If it's all about August, would you not go to the Gardai in Sept and get it stamped off the road to end of August?
    thats what il do ,cheers

Advertisement