Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I broke the law for the sake of ethics

Options
  • 16-08-2008 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

So on a job the other day, I was helping to relocate a shop in Blackrock, Co. Dublin. I was warned there would be a lot of awkward/fragile/heavy things to go into my van and because the closest parking space I could find was a good 100 metres away, I decided it would be best to park up on the path with my back doors right next to the door of the shop we were taking everything from. Here's a lil pic to show:

parkingll9.jpg

So as you see, the path gets much wider just beside the shop door so my van was able to fit perfectly and before I turned my engine off, I got out to make sure there was enough room for buggies/wheelchairs etc to get by safely, and there was more than enough.

Anyway, I started bringing things out and when I came out, a pedestrian asked "Is that your van" and I said "yup" and before I asked why he told me I was getting a ticket so I saw a lady in a brown uniform (the Garda wardens) writing a ticket and I told her it's my van and she said she's giving me a ticket, that I can't park here and I said it's the safest place and she said you can't park on a footpath and disputed it being safe. The whole time she wouldn't even look at me when she was talking. So I hopped in and moved before she was finished (although she had put the little slip of paper under my wiper) and I parked it way up the road on the opposite side of the shop.

Had a van load of things to put in and now I had to carry them through pedestrians and cross a busy road putting myself and others at danger (well, more danger than if I had stayed where I was). I got the fine through the post and I'm thinking of appealing it. I know what I did was technically illegal but it was surely the most sensible place to park. There was plenty of room and I wasn't obstructing anything at all.

Anyone agree or am I going to hell for this hideous crime? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

From what you say, it sounds as though i'd have parked there too. Better pay the fine, though.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Seems ok from your diagram (if ya loose the licence with the points a career in design or engineering etc awaits ya !)Of course the letter of the law is far more important to so many ...Id be doin some muttering and cursing as I was crossing the road struggling with my heavy deliveries...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I've appealed a parking fine before and won (should have seen the letter I sent :pac:) but that was with the council and not the Garda so I wonder would a letter be enough or would they be expecting me to show up in court and could I get the fine doubled? It's only €40, but I'm a man of principal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭audismelly

pay the fine:mad:
    <massive SNIP>... so sorry bout the rant
    MODEDIT:
    You'd better be sorry for that rant ...in very bad taste and language ...and textspeak too
    consider yourself warned

but safer to pay .
    im not bitter:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I'd appeal it OP.
    In all fairness you took good care in ensuring that pedestrian traffic wasn't being unduly hindered while you went safely about your job.
    A few traffic cones would've helped maybe but surely the pen pushers aren't that blind that they can't see the practicality of the whole situation.
    Let us know how you get on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

audismelly wrote: »
    the <SNIP> got me once 2. put it in a car park on yellow lines :

Your exactly the person that needs to be fined more. Theres nothing asd annoying as the "I'm only nipping in for a minute so im allowed to park on double yellows" brigade and having to navigate around said people. Everyone whinges about Taxi drivers pulling in randomly but will see no problem when it's them stopping on a double yellow (I hate both equally, I dont discriminate). If there was supposed to be parkign spots there then there wouldnt be double yellow lines.

Oh and your hazards dont mean anything, they certainly dont allow you to park illegally.

staker wrote: »
    I'd appeal it OP.
    In all fairness you took good care in ensuring that pedestrian traffic wasn't being unduly hindered while you went safely about your job.
    A few traffic cones would've helped maybe but surely the pen pushers aren't that blind that they can't see the practicality of the whole situation.
    Let us know how you get on...

The problem with letting people park on paths is that it spreads like a disease. You'd be surprise how quickly that spot Cormie pulled up into on the path could turn into an unnoficial loading bay or parkign spot. Fairly soon anyone dropping off stuff to that shop would start pulling up there or people like audismelly will see someone else doing it and think its fair game.

At the end of the day it was illegally parked, I dont see grounds for it to be appealed. If somehting was borderline or plainy worng in getting fined then fair enough but parkign on a path is a black and white no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

There's a space "on the path" outside our office where 3 guys in the workshop nextdoor park. They've never been ticketed, because AFAIK it's private property, same applies to the rear of Brown Thomas in Limerick, it owns 4-5 feet of the footpath. Check the plans to see if the path is owned by the shop and go to court if it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mozil

probably better off taking the fine, at the end of the day you were ilegally parked so you get a judge in a bad mood and your fine is doubled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭audismelly

Stekelly wrote: »
    Your exactly the person that needs to be fined more. Theres nothing asd annoying as the "I'm only nipping in for a minute so im allowed to park on double yellows" brigade and having to navigate around said people. Everyone whinges about Taxi drivers pulling in randomly but will see no problem when it's them stopping on a double yellow (I hate both equally, I dont discriminate). If there was supposed to be parkign spots there then there wouldnt be double yellow lines.

Oh and your hazards dont mean anything, they certainly dont allow you to park illegally.

to be fair i didnt do it before or since mr judgemental and nobody had to navigate anywhere.
    guess were just not used to the law been implemented in the midlands:D

ninty9er wrote: »
    There's a space "on the path" outside our office where 3 guys in the workshop nextdoor park. They've never been ticketed, because AFAIK it's private property, same applies to the rear of Brown Thomas in Limerick, it owns 4-5 feet of the footpath. Check the plans to see if the path is owned by the shop and go to court if it is.

Nice, where could I see such plans? :)

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    Should be available at the relevant local authority office. The building owner might even know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

in fairness any blind people living in the area and used to that footpath would have been caught unawares and could have been hurt - a bit like the advertising signs erected recently by jc deveraux.

you didn't commit a serious crime but you didn't consider the blind

Is the line on the inside of your van another shop?

Is the line on the inside of your van another shop?

yup, with enough room for pedestrians there too.

yup, with enough room for pedestrians there too.

Well if thats a shop you can probably forget the path belonging to the shop you were in. Even if it's not public land it would be more likely to belong to the other shop anyway, no?

Well if thats a shop you can probably forget the path belonging to the shop you were in. Even if it's not public land it would be more likely to belong to the other shop anyway, no?

That would still get him off the hook, once it's not public property.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I broke the law for the sake of ethics

You broke the law for convenience ...and maybe safety :D

A traffic warden with some cop-on would have given you leeway, unfortunately those are a rare breed. Just pay the fine (and calculate it into your next job quotation :D)

peasant wrote: »

A traffic warden with some cop-on would have given you leeway, unfortunately those are a rare breed never existed.

There fixed that:pac::pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

ninty9er wrote: »

True - my father owned a shop in Camden st. many years ago and parked in front of it in the morning till the bus lane expired. Was ticketed several times and it was always thrown out because he owned the space in front.
    Ask the owner of wherever you parked it if it's private property

SteveC wrote: »
    True - my father owned a shop in Camden st. many years ago and parked in front of it in the morning till the bus lane expired. Was ticketed several times and it was always thrown out because he owned the space in front.

How did he own the space when it wasnt a bus lane but not when it was? If he owns it he owns it and why did they build a bus lane on his land?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Just read the op again-what ethics were you upholding exactly?

Just read the op again-what ethics were you upholding exactly?

The ones that make it easier for him to do his job and pass off law breaking. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

I live in Blackrock - the paths on the main street are narrow. Was there enough room for a buggy+parent? Or double buggy? A few years ago, my sister had a double buggy for her wee lads, and ALL the time (almost daily) she used to find vans parked up on the path, forcing her onto the road and into a dangerous situation. That and big lorries stopping at lights right over a pedestrian crossing. She gave a couple of them a bollocking over it (when they'd actually be near their vans), and they had no defence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

How did he own the space when it wasnt a bus lane but not when it was? If he owns it he owns it and why did they build a bus lane on his land?
    He owned the space in front of the shop - 5 feet of pavement where the basement access used to be but was converted - not part of the road. He parked there until 10 when the bus lane became inactive and became available to park on.
    Very similar to Cormies diagram.

I live in Blackrock - the paths on the main street are narrow. Was there enough room for a buggy+parent? Or double buggy? A few years ago, my sister had a double buggy for her wee lads, and ALL the time (almost daily) she used to find vans parked up on the path, forcing her onto the road and into a dangerous situation. That and big lorries stopping at lights right over a pedestrian crossing. She gave a couple of them a bollocking over it (when they'd actually be near their vans), and they had no defence.

Yup, definitely enough room for a double buggy too. Where I was, there is actually a railing that comes down in front of my van, and the space between the end of the railing and the side of the path, was less than the side of my van and the side of the path if you get me.

Brian, the ethics that I believed it was safer to park on the path then to play pedestrian dodging while carrying large, awkward, fragile items to my van across the road :P

Yup, definitely enough room for a double buggy too. Where I was, there is actually a railing that comes down in front of my van, and the space between the end of the railing and the side of the path, was less than the side of my van and the side of the path if you get me.

Brian, the ethics that I believed it was safer to park on the path then to play pedestrian dodging while carrying large, awkward, fragile items to my van across the road :P

Sounds like private property so...If you mean there's a railing running along the side of your van

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Ethics me ar$e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

how long have you been driving your van now?Should've parked properly and taken the extra time needed to do the job right tbh.Vans dont belong on the pavement.

Ethics me ar$e

In fairness to Cormie, Ethics is easier to spell than convenience.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In fairness to Cormie, Ethics is easier to spell than convenience.:)

...and more convenient too :D

Advertisement