Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I broke the law for the sake of ethics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

cormie wrote: »
    a lady in a brown uniform (the Garda wardens)

the lady was a Traffic Warden employed by the local council. Nothing to do with the Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Ethics me ar$e
    eth·ic Audio Help (ěth'ĭk) Pronunciation Key
    n.

1. A set of principles of right conduct.
    2. A theory or a system of moral values: "An ethic of service is at war with a craving for gain" (Gregg Easterbrook).

I believe it was "right conduct" to park in this spot. It may not be the most philosophical use of the word ethics, but ethics it is ;)
    how long have you been driving your van now?Should've parked properly and taken the extra time needed to do the job right tbh.Vans dont belong on the pavement.

I parked properly, it just so happened to be on the footpath, which is defined as illegal by the book of the law. I did the job right and wasn't under any time pressure, had enough time for a conversation about traffic wardens with the guy I was delivering to and everything ;) I was causing more of an obstruction where I parked legally.
    TheNog wrote: »
    the lady was a Traffic Warden employed by the local council. Nothing to do with the Gardai

I read before that the wardens in brown uniforms are part of the Gardai, those in red and navy (in the Blackrock area) are part of the council. The slip of paper I got on the windscreen had the Garda crest, and the fine was from the Gardai, nothing about the council was mentioned anywhere. As I said, I read before, what I read could have been wrong or it could have been right, I don't know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

You can't be parked properly and be on the footpath.You fail at both ethics and parking tbh.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In fairness, its illegal to park on a public footpath (unless it part of private property). You (presumably) knew the legal risks so take the punishmnet!

You can't be parked properly and be on the footpath.You fail at both ethics and parking tbh.

If it turns out the part of the foothpath was indeed private property, will you then change your opinion to agree with the law?
    kbannon wrote: »
    In fairness, its illegal to park on a public footpath (unless it part of private property). You (presumably) knew the legal risks so take the punishmnet!

Yup, but I disagree with the law in this circumstance as there is no negative effect of me parking there. There are more negative attributes to where I parked legally. The law is there to protect people, in this case, breaking the law was better.

(in my opinion ;))

• Advertisement

(in my opinion ;))
    Thats the crux of it!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I would be Interested to Hear if you do appeal this. Straight off, i'd say "pay the fine" but you could Argue that due to the time of day/location, this was the safest place to park.
    I know the area pretty well, and am 99% sure of the exact location where you were parked.

If you dont mind me asking, how much was the fine? If it was like 30 - 50 euro. just pay it. if it was more, i'd be inclined to appeal it.

kbannon wrote: »
    Thats the crux of it!

Aye, but so far the majority of feedback I've gotten in this thread seems to be of the same opinion. Nobody seemed to have a problem when I parked there besides the warden, the man who informed me did so out of goodwill and not in a "haha you deserve it you little f**ker" way :pac: The shop I parked in front of didn't have a problem, the shop owner I was helping move thought it was great I parked there, the man pushing the buggy smiled as I edged further in, the birds sang, the sun was shining, children playing marbles and cooling themselves with the water hydrant. Oh t'was a fine day...

I would be Interested to Hear if you do appeal this. Straight off, i'd say "pay the fine" but you could Argue that due to the time of day/location, this was the safest place to park.
    I know the area pretty well, and am 99% sure of the exact location where you were parked.

If you dont mind me asking, how much was the fine? If it was like 30 - 50 euro. just pay it. if it was more, i'd be inclined to appeal it.

It was only €40 which was nice to see. In the time it's taken to make this thread, in the time it will take to write a letter, the time it will take to possibly follow it up, I could have made a lot more than €40 with that time, but it's out of principal really :)

Aye, but so far the majority of feedback I've gotten in this thread seems to be of the same opinion. Nobody seemed to have a problem when I parked there besides the warden, the man who informed me did so out of goodwill and not in a "haha you deserve it you little f**ker" way :pac: The shop I parked in front of didn't have a problem, the shop owner I was helping move thought it was great I parked there, the man pushing the buggy smiled as I edged further in, the birds sang, the sun was shining, children playing marbles and cooling themselves with the water hydrant. Oh t'was a fine day...
    LOL
    Whilst that all may be true, the warden fined you as per the law so there really isn't much you can do about as far as I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Aye, but so far the majority of feedback I've gotten in this thread seems to be of the same opinion. ...

Thats because the majority of people like to think the can stick it to the man and be a rebel with lesser laws.

The shop I parked in front of didn't have a problem,

Of course they didnt, I doubt they would care if you had parked on a homeless man to get what they needed done quicker. I'd love ot be able to park on the street in the middle of town for convenience, wouldnt make it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭aingeal_croi

its not as though you arrogantly broke the rules around this you thoroghly thought out the best way to be safe for everyone...I dont believe the fine would stand up.

some people will not be reasonable and will jump at the chance to exert authority...good luck with this one keep us posted!!

its not as though you arrogantly broke the rules around this you thoroghly thought out the best way to be safe for everyone...I dont believe the fine would stand up.

!!

So your allowed to break the law as long as you tell the judge you werent arrogantly doing it and you tell him you thought it was the best thing to do?

Stekelly wrote: »
    Of course they didnt, I doubt they would care if you had parked on a homeless man to get what they needed done quicker. I'd love ot be able to park on the street in the middle of town for convenience, wouldnt make it right.

I meant the other shop, not the one I was doing the job for ;)

I'm not denying it was more convenient, it certainly was, as was it safer, less obstructive etc too, which is why I did it.

What's the maximum penalty I can get if the judge doesn't share my opinion does anyone know? Just the fine doubled or could it be more?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

peasant wrote: »
    You broke the law for convenience ...and maybe safety :D

A traffic warden with some cop-on would have given you leeway, unfortunately those are a rare breed. Just pay the fine (and calculate it into your next job quotation :D)

Haha, I agree :P
    OP you're dead right doing what you did, I would do the exact same thing, it's unfortunate that some traffic wardens don't have any cop on.. I would also imagine blind people don't walk around without some sort of cane or guide dog. I'm sure they'd find a way around this inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

Has anyone seen the cars parked on the footpath in front of the Garda offices on Harcourt Street? (Luas goes past them.)

Maybe I'm missing some sign saying the raised, paved area beside the parking bays is actually a formal extension of them? ;) It would be a brave traffic warden to challenge them I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

So on a job the other day, I was helping to relocate a shop in Blackrock, Co. Dublin. I was warned there would be a lot of awkward/fragile/heavy things to go into my van and because the closest parking space I could find was a good 100 metres away, I decided it would be best to park up on the path with my back doors right next to the door of the shop we were taking everything from. Here's a lil pic to show:

parkingll9.jpg

So as you see, the path gets much wider just beside the shop door so my van was able to fit perfectly and before I turned my engine off, I got out to make sure there was enough room for buggies/wheelchairs etc to get by safely, and there was more than enough.

Anyway, I started bringing things out and when I came out, a pedestrian asked "Is that your van" and I said "yup" and before I asked why he told me I was getting a ticket so I saw a lady in a brown uniform (the Garda wardens) writing a ticket and I told her it's my van and she said she's giving me a ticket, that I can't park here and I said it's the safest place and she said you can't park on a footpath and disputed it being safe. The whole time she wouldn't even look at me when she was talking. So I hopped in and moved before she was finished (although she had put the little slip of paper under my wiper) and I parked it way up the road on the opposite side of the shop.

Had a van load of things to put in and now I had to carry them through pedestrians and cross a busy road putting myself and others at danger (well, more danger than if I had stayed where I was). I got the fine through the post and I'm thinking of appealing it. I know what I did was technically illegal but it was surely the most sensible place to park. There was plenty of room and I wasn't obstructing anything at all.

Anyone agree or am I going to hell for this hideous crime? :pac:

Why did you bother moving it after you'd been fined? You knew it was illeagal and made a call for convience and safety to park there. When you got the ticket you should have left it there instead of moving and having to haul all the stuff for miles.

I'd chance my arm and appeal. Do you have to pay the fine to appeal or can you appeal before paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

mozil wrote: »
    probably better off taking the fine, at the end of the day you were ilegally parked so you get a judge in a bad mood and your fine is doubled

I have never come across a parking fine being doubled when it comes to court. Often the fine imposed by the judge is less than the fine originally was, if the defendant pleads guilty and gives a bit a story all that is often administered is a slap on the wrist.

You can also appeal to the Super in the station where the garda is based. This takes place long before the matter gets as far as court and is pretty informal, you just write a letter explaining the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

If it turns out the part of the foothpath was indeed private property, will you then change your opinion to agree with the law?

why would i,when you didnt and still dont know if it was or not,and you never asked the adjacent shopkeepers?You're just clutching at straws to justify what you believe was a good parking spot,but almost certainly wasnt.And fwiw i dont have a thing against you or van drivers,my da's a delivery man and often has to park in places that don't suit but thats just the way things are,deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

OP - if its any consolation, a know someone who owns a shop in town, and they can't get any deliveries in or out, given how the street they are on has been altered so much. In addition, they can barely get their rubbish collected and are fined massively if it isn't.

A lot of morans who don't think are in charge - I know I keep going on about this - but why do we have a lawyer as the minister for finance????

Anyway, by all means try to find out informally if it's worth it, but I reckon you'd be best off paying the fine. Remember the way the traffic warden was when you were trying to explain your case? You'll prob get the same reaction - but the only difference being that you are talking to someone sitting behind a desk. It's very hard to deal with these people. Best of luck either way.

• Advertisement

superjosh9 wrote: »
    A lot of morans who don't think are in charge -.

Doesnt take a genius to know that not parking on footpaths is a good law to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I read before that the wardens in brown uniforms are part of the Gardai, those in red and navy (in the Blackrock area) are part of the council. The slip of paper I got on the windscreen had the Garda crest, and the fine was from the Gardai, nothing about the council was mentioned anywhere. As I said, I read before, what I read could have been wrong or it could have been right, I don't know :)

WTF????

I've never heard that the Gardai employed people to specifically deal with parking fines. I have also never heard or seen a Garda or anybody employed by the Gardai wear a brown uniform.

Do you still have the slip of paper? could you scan it and send it to me or post here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

O god I feel for ya cormie! If you ask me (and I'm a van driver) that what you did was the best practice... You made sure there was room for all the public, you parked in a safe place, wern't causing any obstructions, safe for you to move all the load, prevented any accidents caused by moving traffic as if you crossed the road with akward or heavy stuff you or it could have fallin, or your vision could have been drasticaly reduced and you might not have been able to clearly see oncoming traffic etc... So if I was you I would object to this ridiculus fine.. Traffic warden should of had a bit more cop on that to be honest...

O god I feel for ya cormie! If you ask me (and I'm a van driver) that what you did was the best practice... You made sure there was room for all the public, you parked in a safe place, wern't causing any obstructions, safe for you to move all the load, prevented any accidents caused by moving traffic as if you crossed the road with akward or heavy stuff you or it could have fallin, or your vision could have been drasticaly reduced and you might not have been able to clearly see oncoming traffic etc... So if I was you I would object to this ridiculus fine.. Traffic warden should of had a bit more cop on that to be honest...

What about the fact that it's a footpath. To get parked where he was he presumably had to reverse on the path , whre people are liable to be walking.

that spot could easily becomae a makeshift loading bay for the area and potentially become quite busy. If thats what the local authority wanted they would turn it into a loading bay.

If Cormie hadnt been caught doing that or had been let off by the warden and was a regular delivery driver to the shop, he is going to park there every time.What happens next time he goes there and someone has decided to park thei rcar their instead?

having cars parked on paths all over the place is not a situation anybody wants. If the pedestrians decided to wander about on the road shoudl cars just put up with it and work around them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

What about the fact that it's a footpath. To get parked where he was he presumably had to reverse on the path , whre people are liable to be walking.

What about the fact that 90% of the driving population has to do that to get into their driveways, even on city centre streets:rolleyes:

ninty9er wrote: »
    What about the fact that 90% of the driving population has to do that to get into their driveways, even on city centre streets:rolleyes:

90% or people have to reverse along paths to get into their driveways?

Theres also a difference between people going into their driveways and a guy in a transit reversing up onto and along a busy town centre footbpath.

Are you honestly saying we should encourage the use of footpaths as parking spots/loading bays?

The situation with delivery men parking on double yellows and/or half up onto paths around the city is bad enough already. More should be done to stamp out illegal parking, not encourage it.

Oh yeah, dont forget this::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What does it say at the top of the ticket? Does it say "GARDA SÍOCHANA" or some council instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

90% or people have to reverse along paths to get into their driveways?
    Where did he say he reversed *along* the footpath?

Del2005 wrote: »
    Why did you bother moving it after you'd been fined? You knew it was illeagal and made a call for convience and safety to park there. When you got the ticket you should have left it there instead of moving and having to haul all the stuff for miles.

I'd chance my arm and appeal. Do you have to pay the fine to appeal or can you appeal before paying?

I moved it because I wasn't sure if she was actually going to issue the ticket since I went up to her before she had finished and I said I'd move it. Had I known it would have been issued, you're right, I should have stayed :cool:
    maidhc wrote: »
    I have never come across a parking fine being doubled when it comes to court. Often the fine imposed by the judge is less than the fine originally was, if the defendant pleads guilty and gives a bit a story all that is often administered is a slap on the wrist.

You can also appeal to the Super in the station where the garda is based. This takes place long before the matter gets as far as court and is pretty informal, you just write a letter explaining the situation.

I'll try that, thanks.
    why would i,when you didnt and still dont know if it was or not,and you never asked the adjacent shopkeepers?You're just clutching at straws to justify what you believe was a good parking spot,but almost certainly wasnt.And fwiw i dont have a thing against you or van drivers,my da's a delivery man and often has to park in places that don't suit but thats just the way things are,deal with it.

I'm not clutching at straws as I don't need to. I feel there was enough justification to do what I did and would feel the same if it was your dad :)
    TheNog wrote: »
    WTF????

I've never heard that the Gardai employed people to specifically deal with parking fines. I have also never heard or seen a Garda or anybody employed by the Gardai wear a brown uniform.

Do you still have the slip of paper? could you scan it and send it to me or post here?

Not going to bother scanning it, but it's from "An Garda Siochana" Fixed charge processing office. The offence letter bears the same crest as the little slip of paper left on my windscreen. It was a lady in a brown uniform. These can issue fines for non display of tax aswell, the council wardens can't as far as I know. They are seperate and from what I've read, the wardens in brown uniforms are part of the Garda Siochana and the documentation received seems to back this up.

that spot could easily becomae a makeshift loading bay for the area and potentially become quite busy. If thats what the local authority wanted they would turn it into a loading bay.

If Cormie hadnt been caught doing that or had been let off by the warden and was a regular delivery driver to the shop, he is going to park there every time.What happens next time he goes there and someone has decided to park thei rcar their instead?

having cars parked on paths all over the place is not a situation anybody wants. If the pedestrians decided to wander about on the road shoudl cars just put up with it and work around them?

Nah, I've been to the shop many times before to collect bits and bobs and had only parked there once before when I was collecting a massive 3 seater sofa and then this time when I was filling the van. The other times I didn't feel it was necessary. I can't imagine anyone else seeing the sense to park there, unless it was for something similar.
    Bond-007 wrote: »
    What does it say at the top of the ticket? Does it say "GARDA SÍOCHANA" or some council instead?

Yup, Garda Siochana :)

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    Where did he say he reversed *along* the footpath?

I reversed up on the path, not along it :) In fact, there's a little laneway leading to a private car park, the entrance was just at the front of where my van was, so there is always cars passing this section of footpath anyway ;)

Advertisement