Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shouldn't Have Gone to Specsavers!

Options
  • 16-08-2008 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭

I bought a pair of Hugo Boss frames in Specsavers about a year and a half ago I really like them they fit well and are comfortable to wear.
    One of the arms broke the other day so I brought them back in to the store to see if they could be repaired (a simple case of just putting a new one on.) They said fine, will cost €10 and I could pick them up today so my wife collected them for me.
    I was gobsmacked when I got them - the arm they put on was a Tommy Hilfiger one, the wrong colour (brown, my frames are black) and a different shape! Surely they keep a stock of spares for repair in one of their stores or at least could order a replacement from Hugo Boss.
    It was late before I got them back so I didn't have a chance to call them about it but I'm furious it's a bit insulting and I can't wear them - it's nothing to do with the label they just look ridiculous.
    Do I have any comeback here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Did you ask them what the story was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I guess it depends what you agree to when you paid your tenner.

Also, the onus (for the most part) is on the buyer to ensure what they collect is what they want. Coming back at a later date you have no proof that they did that to your glasses etc.

Go in and ask them can they help you out. That would be my first step.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

eamon234 wrote: »
    I was gobsmacked when I got them - the arm they put on was a Tommy Hilfiger one, the wrong colour (brown, my frames are black) and a different shape! they just look ridiculous.
    Do I have any comeback here?

Is this a joke ? you are kidding right ?
    Maybe you should suggest that the repair guy gets his eyes tested....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Maybe they thaught you wouldnt notice with your glasses off.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I wouldn't go near Specsavers.
    About 3 years ago I went to them to get my eyesight certificate for my driving licence. Optician told me I was shortsighted in one eye and would need to wear glasses when driving at night!

So I spent 200 euro + that day on glasses.

I never wore them because tbh the prescription seemed to be so weak there was no difference when I wore them, and besides, I felt my eyesight was just fine.

Forward to about 2 years ago, I went to an independent optician in town because I was getting sore eyes (thought I had eye strain). He said my vision was perfect and there was absolutely no way I needed to wear glasses.

Specsavers = rip off merchants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

That is very bad OP, shows a severe lack of customer service. They should have spare components/pieces in the back for all stock, or at least be able to get them for you reasonably quick. I am considering getting my eyes tested there as I will be getting a pair of glasses very soon. Hopefully (in your case) it just happened to poor service on that given day and in the future you won't have any further problems.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Two and a half years ago I got two pairs of glasses from specsavers, one pair I couldn't wear cause I got headaches within about 10min of putting them on the other seemed fine for the most part, I brought them both back twice and explained the issue...they checked them twice and said no issues and they even retested my eyes, so I lived with using the pair that didn't really give me headaches.

About 6 months ago I changed my glasses and didn't go near specsavers this time, went to a independent lad and he did a top job, I was curious about my specsaver glasses so I brought them into him and he tested them both and said they were both the incorrect prescription..infact one was completely different to the other which explains why it gave me headaches within 10min or so!

Another story is, my girlfriend started to get awful headaches about 18 months back and went and got her eyes tested in specsavers to which they said no issues, so the headaches continued, she got them tested again in specsavers with a different staff member...again they said no issues.

At this stage I suggested she go elsewhere to which she did, turned out one eye was weaker then the other and she got glasses, headache problem solved.

In short I honestly believe anyone using specsavers is a fool and is wasting their money as either its a lack of training with their staff or poor equipment when it comes to performing eye tests.

For what its worth both of us dealt with Specsavers Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

All joking aside, thats very interesting, guys... I wear specsaver glasses, and got them about 14 months ago. I can't wear them for long periods of time because they give me eye strain. I was thinking of going back there to get my eyes retested, but now I'm having doubts... It might be time to go to a proper optician.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I've been using specsavers for glasses and contacts for the last 10 years and have always found the glasses to be of great qualiity and the contacts very good also.

So there not all bad:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I've found them a bit hit or miss but mainly with little things.

I have an astigmatism which means generally means I have to wait a few days to get my glasses rather than get them that day - that doesn't bother me in the slightest but the last time I went in I was told that they'd be ready that day so hung around for an extra 2 hours in the city waiting and when I went back they then told me they'd be 3 days because of my perscription.

What really got me was the fact they'd rung me to say they'd be an extra half hour but didn't think to ring me to tell me that it'd take a few days.

That and when I went for my eye test the optician kept asking me was I on drugs (illegal ones were mentioned) as apparently I have large pupils. Didn't like her tone about the whole thing. Went to an independent optician lately and had none of that implication of guilt put on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

have been using specsavers for about 14 years now and never had a problem. I always find them very good. But given that it's a chain, maybe certain outlets are better/more efficient than others.

OP - I think you need to go back into the shop yourself. Did your wife even look at the glasses before she left the shop? Surely it was obvious that the arms didn't match? Maybe I'm just the suspicious type, but if I've left something in to be repaired, I always check it before I hand over cash. (I like to make sure it's mine and that it's fixed.)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

been going to specsavers for about 8 years, recently got some quicksliver frames, with white arms on them, within a couple of weeks, noticed some discolouration around the hinge on the arm its self, was quite small, and on the inside (nearest my temples), so didn't pay much attention

after a couple of months, it had spread to the out side, and was visable, went into my local branch, couldn't be cleaned off, no sign of discolouration on the hinge its self, told me they had to order in new arms, would ring me when could change, was away for a couple of weeks, heard nothing, went in one day, arms never came in, so they just replaced the entire frames, there and then, free of charge

nice work specsavers, as some one else said, as a franchise, you can get unlucky, could just depend on local staff

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I've been using the grafton street/college green branch for a good few years now and have no complaints. The staff have always been fine and I've never had any issues/complaints about my glasses.

As mentioned already OP you would seem to be unlucky. I'm sure once you get in contact with them they'll apologise and sort the problem out for you. As idiotic as it may be mistakes happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I made the mistake of going to Vision Express in Blanch cause I couldn't get an apointment in Specsavers.

Worst experience ever! The whole thing was shoddy. They messed up literally everything from the exam to the lenses.

Stick with Specsavers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Enda89

I had a v. similar situation OP. I bought a pair of Armani glasses (pricey enough also) roughly 3 years ago in Vision Express. Last summer I got up out of bed, half asleep and knocked my glasses to the floor. Then when I went looking for them I accidently stood on them and broke one of the arms off the frame.

Took them into Vision Express that day and I must say they were very helpful. They told me that unfortunatly they couldn't match the arms exactly as it was old stock or something to that effect. They got a similar arm off another pair of Armani's. Didn't match great tbh. They admitted this themselves. They say given the circumstances and the fact I was a long time customer (been buying contacts/glasses there for 10 years now), that I could pick a brand new pair of armani glasses and get them for HALF PRICE.

I'm sure it's a case by case basis, but they didn't have to offer me that deal. It was my own fault for being clumsy. Still, would give them serious kudos for that!

Advertisement