Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My New Fiat Coupe 20VT.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 littleknownfact

MSporty wrote: »
    Whats so good about this car?? Might get a backpat on Octane but some of the italian cars of the 80s and 90s are pure ****e, over rated and unreliable. Just because something is italian doesnt mean its a timeless classic. The fiat coupe is probably the best of a bad lot.

as an owner of one a few years back, i would say it was stunning to look at, great to drive, able to carry two adults in the back, well equipped, quick, involving to drive with a wonderful engine note from the 5-cyliner engine. that is what is so good about it.

yes there were issues, especially the the all important cambelt change but looked after they are no better or worse than any other 10-15 yr old 2 door coupe.

timeless classic, no not yet, but classic of the future yes, up there with the corrado VR6 and GTV imho

@alfasudcrazy - looks great. i hope you have as many years of enjoyable ownership as i did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭MSporty

Anan1 wrote: »
    Educate yourself - I couldn't be arsed.

Ok Onan

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Another thread that's doomed to being locked.........

Doooommmmmmed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I for one think its hideous looking, sorry OP!

On the bright side, it looks to be in excellent condition and I'm sure you'll enjoy driving it, and I guess that's all that really matters anyway. Was looking at the power figures, drooling away. Wouldn't mind a spin in one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Ok Onan
    Diddums, and you were only today wondering why you'd been banned from Octane.:D

One of the good things about the boards is there are no Octane style love ins here, too many people passing through to have a clique. No EOB and helpers here to ban anyone who doesnt like italian cars!!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Whats so good about this car?? Might get a backpat on Octane but some of the italian cars of the 80s and 90s are pure ****e, over rated and unreliable. Just because something is italian doesnt mean its a timeless classic. The fiat coupe is probably the best of a bad lot.

Diddums, and you were only today wondering why you'd been banned from Octane.:D
    Good point Anan. Of course the reason he posted has nothing to do with the OP being a member on Octane.

One of the good things about the boards is there are no Octane style love ins here, too many people passing through to have a clique. No EOB and helpers here to ban anyone who doesnt like italian cars!!
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with not liking Italian cars. Claiming in relation to '80s and '90s Italian cars that the FIAT coupé is 'the best of a bad lot', though, betrays a level of automotive ignorance that would be disappointing in a five-year-old. If I knew as little about cars as you do, i'd at least have the sense not to advertise the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Back on topic ...

Personally I've never really warmed to the lines of the Fiat Coupe ...that crease running up it's side just doesn't do it for me.

Since I learned (in this thread) that it was designed by Chris Bangle I also know why :D ...I've yet to come across one of his designs that I like

• Advertisement

There's absolutely nothing wrong with not liking Italian cars. Claiming in relation to '80s and '90s Italian cars that the FIAT coupé is 'the best of a bad lot', though, betrays a level of automotive ignorance that would be disappointing in a five-year-old. If I knew as little about cars as you do, i'd at least have the sense not to advertise the fact.

How is my opinion ignorant? im entitled to express my opinion. You expressed your opinion about my car and i didnt call you ignorant

removed

enough of the personal attacks now !

How is my opinion ignorant? im entitled to express my opinion. You expressed your opinion about my car and i didnt call you ignorant
    To suggest in relation to '80s and '90s Italian cars that the FIAT coupé is 'the best of a bad lot' betrays a complete ignorance of Italian cars of the period, to quote the most obvious, the Lancia Delta HF integrale. This, MSporty, is how your opinion is ignorant. That the best response you could come up with was to call me 'Onan' displays a touching level of mental impairment. They still shouldn't be letting you near a computer unsupervised, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

peasant wrote: »
    Back on topic ...

Personally I've never really warmed to the lines of the Fiat Coupe ...that crease running up it's side just doesn't do it for me.

Since I learned (in this thread) that it was designed by Chris Bangle I also know why :D ...I've yet to come across one of his designs that I like

I don't like Bangle's Bimmers myself but his avante garde style is much more suited to a low(ish) volume Italian sports coupe than classic German sports saloons I think.

There are aspects of the Fiat I'm not sure about either but the lovely detailing and interior just kinda make it special. And I love cars that are a bit different without being ostentatious. That's why I personally can't warm to the me-too bandwagon-jumping Teutonic stuff most people on here find so exciting. But the coupe is above all that, a car for those in the know, like a Corrado or Integrale.

pburns wrote: »
    I don't like Bangle's Bimmers myself but his avante garde style is much more suited to a low(ish) volume Italian sports coupe than classic German sports saloons I think.

There are aspects of the Fiat I'm not sure about either but the lovely detailing and interior just kinda make it special. And I love cars that are a bit different without being ostentatious. That's why I personally can't warm to the me-too bandwagon-jumping Teutonic stuff most people on here find so exciting. But the coupe is above all that, a car for those in the know, like a Corrado or Integrale.

Don't get me wrong ...I'd happily have one if it was given to me ...after all, from the inside it looks fantastic (and you can't see that crease either:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Its a year 2000 20VT, Six speed gearbox, aircon, sunroof, brembo's, push button start and black leather in brilliant 'electric metallic blue' - my favourite colour. :P

Congratulations on what looks a fantastic car.

well put pburns. i don't understand the sweeping statement that all 80's and 90's italian machinery are ****e, unless of course you have owned a selection of these cars over the years and are speaking from experience - in which case i apologise

i can understand the comments on the cars looks but not the sweeping statements. i would concur with anan1's comments that this is just ignorance

well put pburns. i don't understand the sweeping statement that all 80's and 90's italian machinery are ****e, unless of course you have owned a selection of these cars over the years and are speaking from experience - in which case i apologise

i can understand the comments on the cars looks but not the sweeping statements. i would concur with anan1's comments that this is just ignorance

You dont have to have owned every car in history to have an opinion on one

You dont have to have owned every car in history to have an opinion on one
    No, but it does help to know a bit about cars in general. And you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Lads, put the handbags down please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sjbrophy

You must be completely insane and daft to buy a car like that. It's a dressed-up Fiat Tipo with a stupid engine designed by an american who thinks that melting the arse of a 7 series makes it look better.

should have bought a nissan 200sx.

sjbrophy wrote: »
    You must be completely insane and daft to buy a car like that. It's a dressed-up Fiat Tipo with a stupid engine designed by an american who thinks that melting the arse of a 7 series makes it look better.

should have bought a nissan 200sx.

And you waited four years to make your debut with a quality post like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ok Onan

MSporty banned for personal abuse

peasant wrote: »
    And you waited four years to make your debut with a quality post like this?

it seems above average by my reckoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

I can't believe people are arguing about a 200+ HP car that can be bought for less than the amount a new Avensis will depreciate in a year. Where exactly is the problem?

The Pininfarina badge on the dash does the trick for me.

Don't push it, sjbrophy ;)

unkel wrote: »
    Don't push it, sjbrophy ;)

you mean like the OP will be pushing his car?

Seriously though, I've seen one that colour around dublin. Rumour has it that the owner is some kind of sex god or something.

sjbrophy wrote: »
    you mean like the OP will be pushing his car?

Seriously though, I've seen one that colour around dublin. Rumour has it that the owner is some kind of sex god or something.

Sighs...

I gave you a friendly warning. A bit of trolling is a laugh, but you just don't seem to know when to stop. Pity really as you could have really contributed to this site / this thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Good old Italian car threads. Always get infiltrated by the few artistically insecure people who just don't get it.
    But while there's no point in educating them, there's also no need to hurl abuse at them. They like their Golfs, and Auris's, and when they make lots of money, they like their Audi's. Nice and safe designs. Won't get the heart racing, cause they wouldn't know what to do with a racing heart.
    OP - why didn't you buy a TDi VAG car? What? What do you mean you have imagination? What's that?

Advertisement