Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My New Fiat Coupe 20VT.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Zolderzzzzz

Lovely looking car alfa dude...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Lovely looking car alfa dude...;)

Dude, bloke, guy, wink once or wink a lot, crazy or not.

Let's agree to be civil here please. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

Fantastic looking car and 5-sylinder turbo sounds really sweet as well,

I used to drive old Audi 100 with 5-sylinder engine, the sound it´s just so much more interesting than standard 4,

btw for this 20VT model, 0-100km/h was 6.3 seconds, so not bad at all:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Gorgeous, gorgeous car.

I always loved the front and rear view. The side view is a bit overstyled, I think, but the interior is lovely: this was the first reappearance of body-colour paint in a classy interior when everyone else was rushing to cover all painted metal with fake elephant-hide patterned plastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

sjbrophy wrote: »
    you mean like the OP will be pushing his car?

Seriously though, I've seen one that colour around dublin. Rumour has it that the owner is some kind of sex god or something.

wuahahahahahahahahah..... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah......

*pauses for deep breath*

wuahahahahahahahahah..... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!! :D;)

MSporty wrote: »
    Whats so good about this car?? Might get a backpat on Octane but some of the italian cars of the 80s and 90s are pure ****e, over rated and unreliable. Just because something is italian doesnt mean its a timeless classic. The fiat coupe is probably the best of a bad lot.

aaah get over yourself, not everyone chooses to worship at the alter of the Germans. now, off you go to race some bubberry cap wearing lad driving a civic from the traffic lights to massage your massive ego.

I'm starting to think Clarkson may be right when it comes to his opinion on RS4 drivers....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

siralfalot ...waste of breath.

Both people you quoted no longer participate in this thread (or this forum) for a while :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

siralfalot wrote: »
    aaah get over yourself, not everyone chooses to worship at the alter of the Germans. now, off you go to race some bubberry cap wearing lad driving a civic from the traffic lights to massage your massive ego.

I'm starting to think Clarkson may be right when it comes to his opinion on RS4 drivers....

With one or two exceptions I find the German car obsessives really annoying (the ones who don't see a universe beyond Audi, BMW and VW). I know I should be able to rise above it:o. That's not to say I'd never buy one (always wanted a Golf GTi for example and BMWs make some of the best all-round cars bar none). It's just most of the current models from these marques leave me cold, cold, cold. For example the new A4/A5. On paper it should be my ideal car in many ways. In practice I view it as the Toyota Corolla for IT-heads/accountants...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

peasant wrote: »
    siralfalot ...waste of breath.

Both people you quoted no longer participate in this thread (or this forum) for a while :D
    good stuff, he's been banned from octane 3 times now because of his attitude!

@ Alfasudcrazy - looking good, can't wait to see it in the metal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

pburns wrote: »
    With one or two exceptions I find the German car obsessives really annoying (the ones who don't see a universe beyond Audi, BMW and VW). I know I should be able to rise above it:o. That's not to say I'd never buy one (always wanted a Golf GTi for example and BMWs make some of the best all-round cars bar none). It's just most of the current models from these marques leave me cold, cold, cold. For example the new A4/A5. On paper it should be my ideal car in many ways. In practice I view it as the Toyota Corolla for IT-heads/accountants...

Quality post there really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Well thanks for all the comments and the lively thread - I enjoyed it. :)

The car is booked in to http://www.poweritalia.com/ tomorrow for a full service - might as well get that done as I am passing the place on the way back.

So I am off for Shannon soon - will have to stay there overnight. Any good hotels near the airport - don't fancy staying in Limerick.

When I get back there is the dreaded VRT man to face of course but I will cross that bridge when I come to it. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

So I am off for Shannon soon - will have to stay there overnight. Any good hotels near the airport
    the Great Southern is about 200m from the Arrivals door, it's not bad, nothing fancy, but it's as close as you'll get without sleeoing in the terminal.

If you want to stopover in style, the Dromoland is out the road...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Well thanks for all the comments and the lively thread - I enjoyed it. :)

The car is booked in to http://www.poweritalia.com/ tomorrow for a full service - might as well get that done as I am passing the place on the way back.

So I am off for Shannon soon - will have to stay there overnight. Any good hotels near the airport - don't fancy staying in Limerick.

When I get back there is the dreaded VRT man to face of course but I will cross that bridge when I come to it. :rolleyes:

you'd best leave the keys of it for me, you know, for safe keeping while you're gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Nice V Fing nice,

Wife....

Wife...

Come in here - see what this guy has....

- OP - What's it costing all in (vrt)

OK - thanks - that's the hotel sorted. Its now called the Park Inn btw. :)

egan007 wrote: »
    OP - What's it costing all in (vrt)

Well its my first post Co2 regulation purchase so I don't know about the VRT yet . The car is costing me Stg £5,300 (€6,800) - well the good ones don't come cheap. :rolleyes:

VRT calculator is saying €2,289 - can that be right.:eek:
    It values the car at €6,300. Yera so what - we only live once. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Ouch on the VRT!
    But F*ck it, you have bal*s. I don't its why i can't bring myself to own one! But god am i jealous everytime i see somebody cruising in one.
    Well anyone can play safe, only truly crazy people buy with there heart:D

Enjoy OP, if you need a push ill help, be the as close as ill come to having my hands on one.
    Herself is an accountant and won't let me buy cool things very often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'll make you jealous now.... the VRT on my GTV was.... wait for it.... €679 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Seems like a lot, but if it's a good un...

Potentially stupid question, but what's the quality of the Irish ones usually like?
    Wouldn't have thought they'd be owned by people who'd drive the wheels off 'em.

Had a look at insurance for interests sake.
    633€ a year TPFF for the 2 ltr 20v seems reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Ouch :)

However i'm in love so....totally worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Simpleton

Nice car boss. Best of luck with it:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Weaselator

Fabulous car OP, well wear! Now to convince the OH I need one!! :D

Well I am just back from the UK with it - knackered but buzzing at the same time. Only one word sums up this car - WOW.

As usual I had planned everything to a T and everything went like clockwork. Booking a hotel in Shannon to stay the night before my flight to Stanstead was a futile exercise though as I only fell asleep about 10 minutes before my early morning call. Once in Stanstead there was a three hour train journey into the deepest ends of Kent. The owner collected me in the coupe from the train station.

This time (for a change) I was all business checking this and that out in the car and actually looking under it too - which is a first for me believe it or not.

I was quite prepared to walk away again if I was not happy with it. But after a longish drive I could see nothing much wrong with it. Everything worked as I had checked all the electrics even the number plate lights. All the panel gaps seemed right and so I went on to do a HPI on it over the phone. After all this car is one of the most expensive 'classics' I have bought to date. That came back all clear too and after reading all the history I handed over the readies.

Then with the aid of my trusty sat nav it was off to Power Italia for a full service and check over. The verdict from these guys was positive enough. It does need a few jobs doing to it. A new radiator, exhaust, dipstick oil seal etc. But I was not expecting that it would be perfect mechanically. The front discs and pads have only 8,000 miles left in them. I will get all these sorted in the next few weeks.
    I also managed to get my air con re-gassed - pleased that that was all that was required and that there were no leaks in the system as I love to have my air con.

The main thing was that there was no evidence of it ever being crashed and corrosion is pleasingly sparse and in non critical areas and then only very superficial.

I drove the car carefully at first but then time began to catch up with me to be there for the ferry so I had to :) press on.

The car initially feels almost the same as the 16V until the revs rise above 2,500rpm. Then its as if it wakes up and says lets get this show on the road.

You suddenly find yourself doing 80mph with the throttle barely pressed and passing all sorts of metal that previously you felt intimidated by. What makes it so amazing is the effortlessness of it all. Its all calm and cool in the cockpit while the world outside starts to rush past you at an astonishing rate.

The only fly in the ointment was a slight rattle coming from the sunroof interior shade - simply opening it eliminates this annoyance though.

Its not as light and nimble as the 16V of course but this does not detract from the huge driving pleasure it gives. The huge 225 section tyres fitted to this car give it enormous levels of grip without making the car feel too bumpy.

I plan to upgrade the car to 300bph as it could easily handle it and also plan the recommended Bilstein shocks / Eibach springs upgrade.

The 16V - well that's now for sale. Once you have tried a Turbo a 16V just would never do no matter how good it is on the bends.

More later as I am practically falling asleep writing this - pics too when I wash it as its a bit mucky looking right now. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Yep,forced induction kicks all ass!!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Sounds like a Cracker :D
    best of luck....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Well wear, Alfasudcrazy. Thanks for the trip report!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

yes indeed, good luck with it. Thanks to your advice I bought one myself, picked it up this week. Happiness is indeed 2nd gear in a 20v Turbo, just coming up to 2500 revs :D

Advertisement