Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 11 to UCD

Options
  • 17-08-2008 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I was in DCU before, which is why I'm living in Dublin 11. I'm going to UCD/smurfit for my masters...

Should I stay where I am or move closer? I have a car, but reeeally don't think I wanna drive every day. The journey takes about an hour... each way.

reasons for staying:
    1) no rent
    2) no bills
    3) really nice apartment w/ lots of space
    4) living alone which I like
    5) I have a dog

reasons for moving:
    1) closer to college - every minute counts when doing a masters

I might sound spoilt... if only because I have the option, and I might sound lazy that I don't wanna drive every day, but if anyone else has been in this situation before, please let me know what you did! thanks.

Advice on quickest forms of public transport/driving routes would be greatly appreciated!

My biggest worry is that if i stay, the time spent commuting could be a waste when I should be using it studying... But i might not as happy in the new place either.

Plus, if I move out, I might not the able to get this cushy place back.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

It's up to you man. If I was you, I'd definitely move closer to UCD/Smurfit. You wouldn't want more than a 35 - 40 minute journey. But whatever you do, make sure your dog is sorted out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

smurfit is in blackrock /20mins away from the UCD main campus meaning that you will defo have some pain on the commuter:cool:

i say why dont ya give it a try for the first month?then you can decide whether to get a place closer.you have a car so you can get a place with a nice rent anywhere you want around d4(unlike us need to find a place close to campus now or there will be no place to live next year:oplus the expensive rental...)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

It takes me over an hour and a half to commute and I live in Dublin. There are people who commute daily to UCD from places like Drogheda, Arklow, Newbridge every day and they can do it (albeit with difficulty). Id stay, it sounds like your on a cushy number.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

What about driving to a northside DART station that has parking, then getting the train to Blackrock? You may get a seat, and can use the DART time for reading. The Smurfit school is about 10 mins walk from Blackrock DART station.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

You can get the 4 or 4a. Goes from DCU to Blackrock/Stradbrook. If you're in Smurfit, it would only be a five minute walk from Blackrock Dart station. Number 4 is generally nice and quiet too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭00011000

great idea

I've decided I'm going to try a folding bike, cycling to drumcondra and getting the dart to Blackrock. there's a changeover at Connolly.

And not use my car at all...

Does that sound like a good idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Sounds like a great one, I'd suggest doing a trial run one of the days your not in college though, to get a feel for the time.

just made a trial run... took just under and hour... the time on the DART was quite a bit more relaxing than driving through the city centre!

Advertisement