Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Debit returned unpaid

Options
  • 17-08-2008 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hi there

I was renting for college for the last couple years and opened a new bank account just to set up a direct debit to the ESB.(no other money in it)

Last year when we finished for the summer the landlord closed the ESB account and took the outstanding bill out of our despoit.

This year i presumed the same.But they sent a photocopy of the bill and and returned the deposit in full. It was only €10 the bill so i presumed they just didn't take it out.
    However this week i got a letter from the landlord, with a letter from ESB stating "Direct debit returned unpaid". I was furious. But i want to resolve it as fees have been added by ESB.

So i'm wondering if i ring ESB can i pay over the phone or cheque? cos if i lodge the money into the account i'll firstly have to pay off the bank charges as the direct debit didn't go. More than likely about €50, which i want to avoid.

ps. if i don't use the new bank account anymore are they going to look for the fees at a later stage?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I am sure you can pay over the phone with a lazer card, but your still liable for the bank fee's, unless you can get them refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

As for the bill, why did you presume they wouldn't take the money? They had, after all, sent you a bill stating that they were going to take the €10.

As for what to do now, the easiest is to put the money in your account (do you have internet banking?) and settle your debts with both the ESB and the Bank. In the grand scheme of things, it's not exactly a lot of money.

Someone might come on here and encourage you to be a cheat and a thief, but the only honourable thing for you to do is to fulfil your obligations. You screwed up, ESB only did what they are entitled to do and had even told you they were going to do it. The bank was only acting on your instructions (that is what a direct debit is) - You never updated the instruction (to cancel a direct debit, you have to also inform your bank).

If you were to ignore the bank charges, they will likely send you out several letters, before writing you off as a bad debtor. When that happens, you can kiss your ass goodbye when trying to go for a loan/mortgage (from their point of view, how can they trust you with half a million to buy a house, when you weren't able to even repay a €10 euro debt?).

Don't bury your head in the sand. Fix everything and put it down as a learning experience.

Advertisement