Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The England Squad - discuss

124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ugh, not sure if i can bring myself to watch the second half...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lampard is having his usual immense game for England.

I don't think I've ever seen Beckham look as fit. Rooney is all over the pitch. The counter attack is finding them out though, not many players able to get back quickly.

The Czech goal, well Terry was turned far too easily anyways. Was that Brown that couldn't stop before the ball came in? Not sure, he had a lot of work to do to get back if it was him.

A couple of very good performances for England, Rooney, Beckham and Gerard would be the three best for me.

I don't know about Defoe, he is just too greedy imo. I'd like to see them try someone else for the second half.

And oh yeah, Baros is unreal for his country. He reminds me of another Liverpool reject of old, Michael Robinson. He was immense for Ireland but never good for Liverpool after they shelled out for him based on his international performances.

Heskey on for Defoe...

Fantastic free kick...

1 - 2 Czech...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

2-1 Czechs Jankalowski (sp) nice free kick

• Advertisement

Why is Rooney on the left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Capello got the tip from Fergie...

So it appears J. Cole isn't injured... So wtf is Gerrard on the left wing?

Lampard should be coming off. If he doesn't come off for Cole, i'll eat me hat.

Calamity almost reappeard

and Lampard boo'd again as he comes off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

they look a more adventerous with Bentley, Downing and Cole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It's no fun watching England lose when they play as awfully as this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

just equalised - undeserved

og without a doubt, Cech saved it with his foot and the defender 'headed' it in!

Farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Lucky England once again. Whats with booing your own players awell?! Watch the excuses flood in now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Terry once again shown up on the international stage. Without Makelele I'm hopeful he'll be like this for Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

New manager, nothing different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I thought that Downing, Joe Cole and Jermaine Jenas all made claims for places. Bentley played well too but Beckham had a very good game imo.

Lampard was shocking again, I don't understand why he doesn't play well for England. Gerard had a good game. Barry was ok, Cashley is full of life but I'd rather Bridge. Heskey played ok after a nervy start.

I think they need to find a striker to play with Rooney. Rooney had a great game again but he is doing too much work and won't be scoring goals if he has to cover that much ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They should play with one up front, 4-2-3-1

GK
    Richards--Ferdinand-AN Other-Cole
    Hargreaves--Barry
    Bentley
    Gerrard
    Cole
    Striker

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Lampard was shocking again, I don't understand why he doesn't play well for England.

Because he is a very specific type of player. He is the frontmost player in a 3 man midfield. He arrives late into the box and has a great shot. He can also thread a damm good pass with little time, but his range of passing is somewhat limited as a playmaker with space.

In this role, he is one of the best in the world. Not in this role, hes good but not great player.
    Problem is, Gerrard plays a similar role (but is more versitile) and Rooney drops deep so they don't work together.
    I've never believed that all three of those can play together, and I only think Rooney can play with one of them if he drops to the wings, or if Gerrard drops to the wings.

If I was picking the team, I'd go with

GK
    -Neville--Ferdinand--Terry--Cole-
    Carrick
    Hargreaves--
    --Gerrard
    Rooney----Cole---
    Striker

The striker ideally somebody who can hold up the ball, Heskey. Ashton would be my first choice though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,712 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Brown gets a goal and assist, pity they weren't FF points. :D

Personally id go with the following although it would be a sudden big ask/step up for Ashton

James

Richards--Terry--Ferdinand--A.Cole

Hargreaves----G.Barry

Gerrard
    Rooney
    J.Cole

Ashton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

James

Hargreaves----G.Barry

Gerrard
    Rooney
    J.Cole

Ashton

that'd be my team as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

JAMES

NEVILLE--FERDINAND--TERRY--A.COLE

BENTLEY----HARGREAVES----DOWNING
    GERRARD
    J.COLE

ROONEY

IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

How people including Cappello have Downing ahead of Ashley Young is crazy:eek:

Personally id go with the following although it would be a sudden big ask/step up for Ashton

James

Hargreaves----G.Barry

Gerrard
    Rooney
    J.Cole

Ashton

+1

all England have to do is sack one of the best managers in the world, then give me the job and all their problems would be solved, and dont worry Esse85 Young would make my bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

England players shown up for what they are on the international stage once more.Had to laugh at Arry Redknapp last night working as a pundit for setenta...."shocked i am,i mean the two central defenders for them lot arent fit to lace Rio's and Terrys boots"...Pathetic arrogance:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Capello says he sent them out to play a 4-3-2-1

As in:

James
    Brown - Ferdinand -- Terry - Cole
    --- Beckham - Barry - Lampard---
    Rooney -- Gerrard

Defoe

Certainly didn't look it last night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

They certainly didn't line up like that, although that formation makes sense.

Advertisement