Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuvi Installation in car.

• 17-08-2008 1:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭

Have Garmin Nuvi that was in my old car. Got a new car and wondering is it possible to get it installed in my car without using the cigarette lighter charger and wire directly behind the dash into the cars fuseboard like my carkit?

If possible, who can do it?

Thanks
    C

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Don't think it will be straightforward, the charge coming from the USB or cigarette lighter cable is 5V and obviously the electrical system in the car is 12V so you'll need some kind of converter. I'd also imagine that if you use it permanently on power that one of two things will happen...

1. The battery in the Garmin will wear out from being constantly on charge

2. Someone will spot the unit and break into your car to steal it in which case they will seriously mess up your car if the unit is permanently wired in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

There is obviously a converter built into the car if the battery is 12v and the lighter is 5v.

When I turn off my car, the carkit turns off too, so that must be built in too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭MacBuster

You will have to wire the kit to the cigarette lighter not the battery, best goto a car kit installer as it is easy to blow a garmin if you are not 100% sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There is obviously a converter built into the car if the battery is 12v and the lighter is 5v.
    Wrong. The lighter socket is also 12V, and is so on every car. The 12V-5V converter is built in to the black plastic plug that goes into the lighter socket. Also if you have a model with an FM traffic receiver (not that that works in Ireland, but never mind) then that also is built in to the same plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 commandus

My Garmin Nuvi is mounted on the windscreen (top right, behind the sun-visor) and is hard-wired to the terminals underneath the dashboard. It's been this way for well over a year now. The wires have been hidden behind the trim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

commandus wrote: »
    My Garmin Nuvi is mounted on the windscreen (top right, behind the sun-visor) and is hard-wired to the terminals underneath the dashboard. It's been this way for well over a year now. The wires have been hidden behind the trim.

Who did it for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 commandus

I did it myself. It was really quite easy.

Advertisement