Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy a topup that works on any network

• 17-08-2008 1:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Source: SiliconRepublic.com
    From Monday consumers in Ireland will be able to buy a mobile phone top-up that works for all networks from PostPoint retail outlets around the country.
    An AllCall voucher can be used to top up anyone using Vodafone, O2, Meteor or 3 and it’s valid for 12 months from purchase.
    Xelcius are providing PostPoint with generic codes that relate to the €10 and €20 denominations. A customer who buys a top-up gets a voucher with a unique code on it. Customers text the voucher code to a short code number. The texter then receives a text message with the top-up PIN number for the network they’re on and they top up in the normal way.

Pretty good for those people who are always getting Xmas and Birthday presents of credit but for the wrong networks. This new service isn't perfect but I like where it's going.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Hope it doesnt cost money to text this number...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

1huge1 wrote: »
    Hope it doesnt cost money to text this number...
    Fair point and it doesn't mention it anywhere on that press release. It mentions shortcode so I guess this would make it possible that it's free, will have to have a route around the An Post website.

++ edit - having looked at the An Post website I can't see any mention of this. Maybe more info on Monday when it launches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Seems like a good idea, but their must be a catch somewhere, for them to make money from it. Could be a service charge when initially buying the credit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

davton wrote: »
    Seems like a good idea, but their must be a catch somewhere, for them to make money from it. Could be a service charge when initially buying the credit
    Not necessarily. An Post could be paying a part of the commission they get from the networks to Xcelsius, and then assuming that this would increase their overall sales/revenue. I doubt the shortcode would charge (cos then how would someone with no credit top up!), but that's a good point by davton about the surcharge, if there is an extra cost anywhere I'd say it's to the person buying the gift voucher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

I hope that these vouchers can be bought online on anpost.ie. It would be the first time you can top up 3pay online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

it's not on the an post computers yet, just checked now.....
    I doubt an post will add a service charge.....

Advertisement