Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consuming PassionsRTÉ One, Wednesday, 7.00pm

Options
  • 17-08-2008 2:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

This week there is an Equestrian theme: Ultra-Equestrians

Should be good. I wonder if they will concentrate more on the people or on different disciplines that the partnership participates in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

Oh, will Sky + it!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

Programme 7: Ultra-Equestrians
    Wednesday, 20th August 2008
    Noel Cullen was your average 50-something Dublin electrician. The day he met Gail Munnelly, his life changed. Not just because they were destined to be married, but also because it was through her that he encountered Le Petit Daniel, commonly known as Dan - a young, beautiful and gifted horse. Noel, already a grandfather, came to riding late in life but is making up for lost time.
    Susan Conley, an American writer living in Dublin, takes a two-hour each-way bus journey three times a week for a 45 minute riding lesson. Susan's passion for horses extends beyond riding time; she devotes many hours each week to maintaining her horsey blog, connecting with other horse fanatics around the world.
    But even the most pampered Arabian thoroughbred might envy the care and love showered on Murphy, beloved friend and loyal companion of Louise Magill of Dundalk, a married mother of one. Hot-towel treatments, pedicures and massage, this horse's stable is so cosy that he even steps outside to do his "business".
    If you think that a horse is simply an animal rather than a telepathic, magnificent, intelligent being you'd better meet these three ultra-equestrians!
    http://www.rte.ie/tv/consumingpassions/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

sounds like its going to be a pile of ****e, perhaps they could show the real side, people foregoing all the nice things in life to own a horse, poeple who get up at 6am to go to their horse before work, and don't get home till 8pm because they have to return to work more with the horse, or the countless staff working in the industry for a pittance, but stay there because it is truly a labour of love!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

I'm with ye there skink, personally I think theres somethin mentally or emotionally lacking in people who have to promote their animals to people status. I think a horse should be allowed to be just that, A HORSE. Some people have too much time on their hands:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Very good point Skink.

• Advertisement

carlybabe1 wrote: »
    Some people have too much time on their hands:D

and money!

Alibear wrote: »
    Susan Conley, an American writer living in Dublin, takes a two-hour each-way bus journey three times a week for a 45 minute riding lesson. Susan's passion for horses extends beyond riding time; she devotes many hours each week to maintaining her horsey blog, connecting with other horse fanatics around the world

this one really gets me, she devotes many hours a week blogging about her horse riding, my god she has it hard, i mean its like there are simply thousands of people around the country who beyond their riding time, muck out, groom, teach, work, compete, travel to competitions, this has actually made me so angry, and wow 12 hours of journey time on a bus! how about 12 hours of working with the bloody animals a day, my god rte are so full of sh1t, i have to stop now and go chop some wood to relieve this anger!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

seriously, where does rte find these people? they ought to sack the researcher and give the job to say, oh someone with a brain, or an iq higher than their jean size:D and we pay these [EMAIL="f?@*&$#s"]f?@*&$#s[/EMAIL] for a licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Just watched it, what a load of crap. I feel so sorry for the poor horse owned by that nut in co. louth, poor thing is brought in at 9pm in the evening (the sun was still shining!) and worst of all appears to have no companion! Then she tried to make out he was so important to her. If your horse is so important why are you keeping him locked up and isolated?! so annoying. And the american one was annoying as well, going on about blogging about her riding, she should try improving it before she brags about it, did anyone see her arms especially!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

kerrysgold wrote: »
    Just watched it, what a load of crap. I feel so sorry for the poor horse owned by that nut in co. louth, poor thing is brought in at 9pm in the evening (the sun was still shining!) and worst of all appears to have no companion! Then she tried to make out he was so important to her. If your horse is so important why are you keeping him locked up and isolated?! so annoying. And the american one was annoying as well, going on about blogging about her riding, she should try improving it before she brags about it, did anyone see her arms especially!

???? Whats wrong with either of these??? he's out (i presume) in the field all day till 9pm, then he's stabled (again, i presume, overnight). What is the issue in that?????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

So theres no problem with keeping a horse on his own either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Here we go again :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Eh, refer to my previous quote, did i say there was? Thats not what i asked you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'm going to start handing out bans if I see this argument continue.

The 'ignore' function is quite useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

I watched this last night and found parts of it cringey, the American lass was a bit OTT to be honest. Seemed more interested in her blogging. I could relate to the man though, he was consumed by passion and seemed on cloud 9. I'd say his old pub mates gave him some slagging though, especially getting dressed by your missus on TV.....good on him!!!

The Louth lady was run of the mill horsey person to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭A_M101

I didn't think it was great. They all reminded me of myself when I was about nine! These were adults who were acting like children around their horses.

I wouldn't have minded seeing a bit of variety, maybe someone who competes seriously or someone who works full-time in the horse-industry as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Well in fairness to the programme, it is more about light entertainment than information. I didnt see this programme, but saw one last year about cat people, and the producers do go for the wackier people out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Couldn't understand why the one who got the two buses to Carrickmines couldn't find a RS nearer to Clontarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Would Kilronan be the closest to her?

Advertisement