Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence granted!

• 17-08-2008 2:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭

I got a call yesterday from the lovely lady at ComReg to tell me my callsign. The conversation went basically as "Hello, have you got a pen and paper? Echo.. India..." With the slightly crackly line and my own lack of expectation of the call I hadn't a clue what she was talking about. But after several moments silence I figured out it was my callsign, and she said that she was calling just so I could get on the air for the weekend as soon as my licence was granted :)

Hopefully others got the same call, and looking forward to QSOs on the air!

Conor, EI6GSB :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Bluenarf

Welcome to the community.
    was it by any chance Derek O'Rielly? in which case it wasn't a woman :P

Paul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Congrats on the new callsign. The upward slope of a new solar cycle
    is a good time to start.

Agreed, it can only get better from here!!

Paul.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Bluenarf wrote: »
    was it by any chance Derek O'Rielly? in which case it wasn't a woman :P

Paul.

Now now.....

I LOL'ed though. :D:D:D:D

but no, im serious. Its derick o'Rielly that gives them out...Not a woman..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭lithiumoxide

Ok I just checked the voicemail that was left.. It is Derick O'Reilly. Pardon my confusion :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

EI6GSB de EI9FEB
    Congratulations
    EI6GSB de EI9FEB sk

Let's have no more comments about our ever helpful Derick.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

I got a call yesterday from the lovely lady at ComReg to tell me my callsign. The conversation went basically as "Hello, have you got a pen and paper? Echo.. India..." With the slightly crackly line and my own lack of expectation of the call I hadn't a clue what she was talking about. But after several moments silence I figured out it was my callsign, and she said that she was calling just so I could get on the air for the weekend as soon as my licence was granted :)

Yes indeed! Congrats from EI4FPB too!

I must get my TH-79E back from it's grave and get involved again! The internet is starting to get me excited about this hobby again. Strange!? Even if only on 2m / 70cms. Live in an apartment now so don't think I'll get any aerials up so portable will have to do for the time being!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭lithiumoxide

EI9FEB and EI4FPB de EI6GSB, thank you both!

LarWright: you should def get back on the air! If your apartment doesn't allow for a large antenna, maybe try some QRP work with a smaller antenna?

My next mission now is to find some sort of rig to get on the air asap!

On my apartment balcony in Dublin I have 19 ft CB home base ant. with loading coil removed and no radials, bolted to rail. Tunes 40m to 6m fine.

A 90cm sat dish, with a pole clamped to it to raise the Discone above level of roof gutter. (25MHz to 1.4GHz RX, good for TX 6m, 4m, 2m and 70cm.)

I've bigger aerials / poles at home in Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

watty wrote: »
    On my apartment balcony in Dublin I have 19 ft CB home base ant. with loading coil removed and no radials, bolted to rail. Tunes 40m to 6m fine.

A 90cm sat dish, with a pole clamped to it to raise the Discone above level of roof gutter. (25MHz to 1.4GHz RX, good for TX 6m, 4m, 2m and 70cm.)

I've bigger aerials / poles at home in Limerick.

I don't even have a balony to do that. I do have a satellite dish up on the roof well hidden, but don't want management company moaning! I also have an attic so may be able to put something up in there. Roof tiles may act as an attenuator but wouldn't be too worried about that I guess.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Maybe we could get a boards.ie 2m or 70cm net up and running? :D

17m !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Congratulations to you Conor,
    John EI2FN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

Best of luck Connor

De John EI9HW

Advertisement