Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband - what can I do to get it?

Options
  • 17-08-2008 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

I am fed up of dial-up. I live in Castledermot, not exactly a million miles from civilisation. Have been told vaguely by Eircom that my line is not suitable for broadband for any number of reasons it seems. I'm here 2 years in this house and am home educating my kids, they are only 1 and 3 at the moment but in coming months and years, broadband is going to be essential.

I am outside of O2 mobile broadband range and the digital providers don't do my area (I'm about 1.5 miles outside of town).

Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do? I emailed Eircom complaining but just got back a standard email saying they are upgrading all the time, but not telling me if my line can be upgraded at all.

I find it frustrating the lack of technical knowledge of the Eircom staff. I would like to know the detail of how or why your line is eligible for broadband or not and how it can be changed but they don't help. :confused:

Thanks for reading.

Natacha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Might be better asking in the broadband forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=259

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Natacha

Oh, sorry. I looked through all the forums and I didn't see that one. Will move it. Thanks.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭muggyog

Broadband uses DSL ( or variant of ) and takes advantage of the already installed copper wire network. The technology uses high frequency's on thin wires which causes attenuation ( signal loss ). Castledermot village only got broadband a few years ago. The problem is distance from the nearest exchange which is probably Carlow (maybe Athy, same distance). As Castledermot is obviously on the fringe of acceptable signal, you appear to be unfortunate being a little further away. The other providers use the Eircom line so they say the line is not good enough thats it for the moment. I presume you have done the Check your line for broadband thing.

I'm surprised that you cant get it through O2, surely if you can get a signal your sorted (two masts in CD). Other option would be satellite. I see DigiWeb signs around, might be worth a look. The Government website www.broadband.gov.ie is a good source of info especially the search tool.

All will be grand when fibber comes to CD! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from Comp & Tech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

You should ask about Eircom's Amber initiative. Several people who live near me hassled Eircom with this when they were refused broadband because of distance. They eventually got Eircom to fix the lines and now they have BB from Eircom.

• Advertisement

I have this post on two forums on Boards now! Couldn't figure out how to delete it.

Muggyog, that link brings me to a website about Ipswich?? Wrong link? I spoke to O2 months ago who said that they would be upgrading mast in Castledermot in April but rang again recently and hasn't been done. Their map on website show CD outside of area. I have been on that gov website before and looked at all the providers but I appear to be outside of the area for them all. Do I understand that the exchange isn't in Castledermot at all?

You say fibber coming to CD. Warning - Stupid moment coming up - what's that?

Khan the man, I like your humble name:D, will check out that Amber initiative.

Muggyog, have checked the gov search tool. No O2 option came up, 3 (as in the mobile company) did and I tried them a few months ago and had no signal at all.

Looks like satellite or giving someone in Eircom sexual favours :rolleyes: to get it.

N

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭muggyog

Ah yes, you got a peek into my sad life there! Link has been fixed. Joke about fiber (optic cable) coming to CD is that its more like Martians will come!

No exchange in CD, the nearest exchange, I believe, is in the post office in Carlow.

Oh Yea, I'd checked the line checker with eircom and recorded my details cos I know they are just sitting there waiting to fix my line!!

Don't know how to merge teh two threads. ANy advice appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement