Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

m50 tolling

Options
  • 17-08-2008 10:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Can anyone tell me if it is illegal to use a product called photo blocker on your reg plate, apparantley you can spray this product on your plates and it puts a coating on that reflects light thus the cameras cannot identify the number. As the new barrier free tolling uses plate recoginition, this could be an irish solution to an irish problem:P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

seriously?

That's class :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

dubwex wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if it is illegal to use a product called photo blocker on your reg plate, apparantley you can spray this product on your plates and it puts a coating on that reflects light thus the cameras cannot identify the number. As the new barrier free tolling uses plate recoginition, this could be an irish solution to an irish problem:P

Its illegal to try to evade paying tolls!
    Plus, from what I heard recently (think it was the last word on todayFM) it doesnt work as well as the sellers claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dubwex

deswalsh wrote: »
    Its illegal to try to evade paying tolls!
    Plus, from what I heard recently (think it was the last word on todayFM) it doesnt work as well as the sellers claim.

How could you be breking any laws while you reg plate is cleary visible?
    I dont think your evading tolls, it,s just the cameras may not recognise the number.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I'm selling a bag of magic beans if you're interested.

Hagar wrote: »
    Will they not fall off he reg plate?:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Try it out yourself at home and report back here with your findings.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Will the OP get the golden goose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Isn't the M50 Toll contract the ultimate Golden Goose?

/Edit/

Seriously though, if the product worked it would be illegal in every jurisdiction in the world that has tolls of any kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Would the big dorty logos I have on my van identifying my business still be readable if I spray the whole van? :p

Isn't the M50 Toll contract the ultimate Golden Goose?

/Edit/

Seriously though, if the product worked it would be illegal in every jurisdiction in the world that has tolls of any kind.
    It,s not illegal in the States, and seems to be working okay there according to the various news reports.
    Might try out a can and see if it works, purely for refererence and research purposes.

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    Would the big dorty logos I have on my van identifying my business still be readable if I spray the whole van? :p
    Might be a tad expensive as 1 can $25 will do 4 plates, although I dont see how they can photo the side of the van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Jabberfly

Mythbusters tried this

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode73
    In This episode's Adam and Jamie really focus on speed cameras.
    Speed Cameras can't see through a crytallized plate cover it: BUSTED
    The crystals in the cover didn't reflect enought light
    Speed Cameras can't see through a lenticular lens plate: BUSTED
    It did very little
    Speed Cameras can't see through a plastic wrap: BUSTED
    The plastic wrap had little effect
    Speed Cameras can't see through hair spray: BUSTED
    Once again, it had very little effect.
    Speed Cameras can't see through commercial spray PhotoBlocker Spray: BUSTED
    The commercial spray was ineffective

Speed Cameras cannot take a picture of Car that is going fast: BUSTED
    Speed Cameras can take a picture of a passing bird: CONFIRMED
    It caught a falcon passing at 40 MPH

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Speed Cameras cannot take a picture of Car that is going fast: BUSTED

Saw them test this on top Gear with a fast car. I think they said if it goes more than 160mph the camera wont get it. I think that was the figure, not sure. So did Mythbusters do the same extent of testing or is somebody telling fibs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Jabberfly

cormie wrote: »
    Saw them test this on top Gear with a fast car. I think they said if it goes more than 160mph the camera wont get it. I think that was the figure, not sure. So did Mythbusters do the same extent of testing or is somebody telling fibs?

A speed camera cannot take a picture of a car if it is going fast enough.
    busted*
    Neither a normal car nor a Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 were able to travel fast enough to outrun the camera.
    *This myth was revisited in episode 84 with a jet-powered car and it was confirmed.

Advertisement