Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Water Supply

Options
  • 17-08-2008 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

So, since the rains, our water has gone quite cloudy. I guess this is understandable, if annoying.

However, I'm just checking... no "gastric" problems with you guys right? Because as I know from experience*, the powers that be pretty much only let ya know when half the town is already glued to their toilets.

*I realise that's a Canadian experience, but I figure you'd all agree that the powers that be are generally useless regardless of location.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

There are warnings and stuff on ocean fm any time theres a problem afaik.
    I don't have any issues yet,but we hardly drink tap water unless boiled tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I drink at least 2, most often 3 litres of tap water a day :(

Sucks to be you so...Em seriously though if you're worried you better boil it to be safe.Where does your water come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

There are warnings and stuff on ocean fm any time theres a problem afaik.
    I don't have any issues yet,but we hardly drink tap water unless boiled tbh.

But does anyone listen to Ocean anymore??

Mr Xiney bought 3 x 5 Ltrs of water in town this morning so we'll be drinking that for the time being.

And I echo Val's sentiments...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Xiney wrote: »

So, since the rains, our water has gone quite cloudy. I guess this is understandable, if annoying.

Unless you are drinking straight from a well the water should not be affected by the rain fall as it goes through the exact same cleaning system.
    Cloudy can mean something like too much fluoride but is usually

http://www.lvvwd.com/html/wq_water_facts_cloudy.html

U should buy one of those jug filters, ive been using one for years, compaired to people who buy water (therefore paying twice!?) u will save a fortune and have clean water to boot.
    (of course if you are cleaning the water yourself u are paying for it to be cleaned twice but!? :) )

we had a brita filter in Montreal, but here we've got such a tiny fridge it's not really feasible.

we had a brita filter in Montreal, but here we've got such a tiny fridge it's not really feasible.
    couple of Glass bottles!?

BTW jug filters do not remove flouride!? even though people thing they do

+ if you leave water sitting for 10 mins most of the flouride evaporates apparently (?Think i saw it on telly somewhere, sometime, somehow)

magnumlady wrote: »
    But does anyone listen to Ocean anymore??

old people?Anyways you just have to suffer it for an hour at most to get your info,isnt it worth it?

elshambo I think you may have chlorine and fluoride confused...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

There is a warning in place for some areas.

http://oceanfm.ie/onair/sligoleitrimnews.php?articleid=000003744

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Sligo householders advised to boil water Aug 16, 8:13 am
    Householders in parts of Sligo are been advised to boil their water.The water supply from Kilsellagh reservoir is discoloured due to the recent high level of rainfall. The reservoir is the supply source for Kiltycahill,the Rosses Point area and Northern parts of Sligo town.
    Aye, that'd be us so.

elshambo I think you may have chlorine and fluoride confused...

eye maybe, i only ever half watch the telly, as long as one of them evaporates after 10 mins its all good, or at least better?:D

im pretty sure
    "BTW jug filters do not remove flouride!? even though people think they do"
    bit is right though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Aye, that'd be us so.

Yup. Our water has gone a rank colour the last few days.

Disgusting so it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

This is a common and regular problem in North Sligo.

We never hear of this happening in neigbouring Northern counties eg Fermanagh which have the same kind of soil, same rain etc. Why? (rhetorical question).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Fermanagh have one of the largest lakes in Ireland as a sourse of drinking water though.

I know what you are saying though, water quality has deterioted greatly in the last few years. I think it might be due to a number of factors including bad planning of new housing developments putting too much pressure on existing water sources. I could be wrong but there seems to also be a serious lack of investment in water services in general in Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

Essexboy wrote: »

We never hear of this happening in neigbouring Northern counties eg Fermanagh which have the same kind of soil, same rain etc. Why? (rhetorical question).

I agree Essexboy.

They say that there are two things that are certain in this life..... Death and Taxes. I think we can now alter that to three and include Sligo's annual problem.... their third world water supply which has been with us now for many many years.

A few years ago, five councillors from Sligo County Council, (all from the Fianna Fail party by the way )and four from the Borough Council (2 FF and 2 Lab) traveled to Gibraltar for four days (four star hotel of course...nothing but the best) to study 'Cross Border Relations in Modern Europe' (at a cost reputed to be €8,000 to the taxpayer.)

Cross Border Relations in Europe my arse. What made this even more ridiculous at the time was the fact that no councillor from Cavan and Monaghan attended this and only one from Donegal traveled even though it was open to all council members in the border region.

Would you agree my friends that instead of wasting money like this, sending these geniuses off on junkets like that, they should instead use this money to send someone a little brighter than some of these, like a qualified engineer perhaps to an appropriate conference or fact finding mission relevant to this particular problem and then, when ready, he / she could report back to his or her council colleagues.

Armed with this information, they may well be in a position then to finally address and hopefully solve, once and for all, this exasperating problem.

rgds,

Jabby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

my grandmother was on the news the other day complaining about it

We don't have a problem in south sligo (cause we are better than ye :D )

Where have you been hiding?
    We've had loads of times when the waters been off or minging.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Not lately though?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

where exactly is this north south devide

:D

Not lately though?

We had no water for a few hours a couple of weeks ago, its certainly not as bad as it used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

I thought Gurteen was in South Sligo - has it seceded? :rolleyes:

A NOTICE to householders on a public water supply in south Sligo to boil water before use because of contamination is to remain in place “indefinitely”. that was in July.
    http://archives.tcm.ie/sligoweekender/2008/07/08/story35966.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Jabby wrote: »
    I agree Essexboy.

They say that there are two things that are certain in this life..... Death and Taxes. I think we can now alter that to three and include Sligo's annual problem.... their third world water supply which has been with us now for many many years.

A few years ago, five councillors from Sligo County Council, (all from the Fianna Fail party by the way )and four from the Borough Council (2 FF and 2 Lab) traveled to Gibraltar for four days (four star hotel of course...nothing but the best) to study 'Cross Border Relations in Modern Europe' (at a cost reputed to be €8,000 to the taxpayer.)

Cross Border Relations in Europe my arse. What made this even more ridiculous at the time was the fact that no councillor from Cavan and Monaghan attended this and only one from Donegal traveled even though it was open to all council members in the border region.

Would you agree my friends that instead of wasting money like this, sending these geniuses off on junkets like that, they should instead use this money to send someone a little brighter than some of these, like a qualified engineer perhaps to an appropriate conference or fact finding mission relevant to this particular problem and then, when ready, he / she could report back to his or her council colleagues.

Armed with this information, they may well be in a position then to finally address and hopefully solve, once and for all, this exasperating problem.

rgds,

Jabby

One of the councillors told me it was alright for the golf, but if he was paying he wouldn't bother going. Weather was nice. Did no "study". Was so glib about it I wan't to punch his lights out.
    Part of the water issue in this region is the fact that we're surrounded by hills and mountains, often with a peaty soil covering. The run off which fills our resevoirs is effectively "bog water" and therefore occassionally exhibits that brownish tinge and sometimes tastes brackish. It's generally not bad for you, but at the same time quite disgusting. I can't stomach tap water in Sligo town. And it's not nice to leave a tap dripping overnight into a clean sink only to see a yellow streak like a urinal the next morning. It's probably safe most of the time, but I really think they should look at processing it some more the reduce the overall rankness of it.

il gatto wrote: »
    One of the councillors told me it was alright for the golf, but if he was paying he wouldn't bother going. Weather was nice. Did no "study". Was so glib about it I wan't to punch his lights out.
    Part of the water issue in this region is the fact that we're surrounded by hills and mountains, often with a peaty soil covering. The run off which fills our resevoirs is effectively "bog water" and therefore occassionally exhibits that brownish tinge and sometimes tastes brackish. It's generally not bad for you, but at the same time quite disgusting. I can't stomach tap water in Sligo town. And it's not nice to leave a tap dripping overnight into a clean sink only to see a yellow streak like a urinal the next morning. It's probably safe most of the time, but I really think they should look at processing it some more the reduce the overall rankness of it.

Thanks il gatto. I suspected all along that there was no ''study''
    You only have to look at who you're dealing with
    I understand your point about the peaty soil covering and the inevitable problems that would cause the quality and colour of the water but wouldn't you think in this day and age there'd have to be a way around this problem.

I thought Gurteen was in South Sligo - has it seceded? :rolleyes:

A NOTICE to householders on a public water supply in south Sligo to boil water before use because of contamination is to remain in place ?indefinitely?. that was in July.
    http://archives.tcm.ie/sligoweekender/2008/07/08/story35966.asp

im glad im leaving sligo and heading to Galway...Ah shoite!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Finally the water in North Sligo appears to have improved (wasn't hard!)
    Up until yesterday the water in Cartron has been brown.
    Not off colour but actually brown.

I notice that last night and this morning it appears to have been sorted.

Anyone else in this area find the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Gillie wrote: »

Yep. Water seems to be clean again! Thank god for that. It was disgusting for ages there.

• Advertisement

Gillie wrote: »

North Sligo's water has improved marginally I agree, but what's the bets we will be having this discussion again this time next year and the year after ,and after etc.

Advertisement