Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Water Supply

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Well in fairness, if we didn't have the water to whinge about we'd find something else to have a good long whinge over! That's what sligonians do. We whinge because nothing ever seems to be good enough to please us! :rolleyes:

Someone mentioned that they're flushing out the pipes (Or something like that! It was early, I was tired) today? Don't know if it's only in the ballytivnan area or if it's everywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

takola wrote: »
    Well in fairness, if we didn't have the water to whinge about we'd find something else to have a good long whinge over! That's what sligonians do. We whinge because nothing ever seems to be good enough to please us! :rolleyes:

Someone mentioned that they're flushing out the pipes (Or something like that! It was early, I was tired) today? Don't know if it's only in the ballytivnan area or if it's everywhere?

Not sure about this either.

The water situation is very annoying though you have to admit takola.
    Water tanks having to come to housing estates with water in 2008. Something wrong there.:confused:

You're probably right about Sligonions. That they are notorious moaners is true but in this case, all they are asking for a reasonably clean water supply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

Gillie wrote: »
    Finally the water in North Sligo appears to have improved (wasn't hard!)
    Up until yesterday the water in Cartron has been brown.
    Not off colour but actually brown.

I notice that last night and this morning it appears to have been sorted.

Anyone else in this area find the same...

Yeah it definitely is getting better.
    Have seen results in the past two days.
    You're right, it was actually brown. Coming out of the tap like watery muck!!!
    Like we were being told to boil it before using but no way was I using it even after being boiled. Boiled or not it is still BROWN! That can't be good. Like boiling it isn't gonna change the colour of brown to clear etc...

So yeah tea is being made from ballygowan, also cooking water and brushing teeth with the good stuff.

It should be back to normal soon though.

Jabby wrote: »
    Not sure about this either.

The water situation is very annoying though you have to admit takola.
    Water tanks having to come to housing estates with water in 2008. Something wrong there.:confused:

You're probably right about Sligonions. That they are notorious moaners is true but in this case, all they are asking for a reasonably clean water supply.

I agree, it was a joke. But I'm not sure what the cause of it was or what they could have done differently to make it not happen so I'd rather not complain. It's been sorted. The way I see it (and I may seem a bit naive here) is that the county council have enough people already on their backs without this happening and half the town being onto them about the water too. So I would hope that it wasn't something they could have predicted and it was looked into and sorted as quickly as they could do.

It sometimes seems like the county council can't do anything right by people. We want something, they give it too us and then we're complaining about how they didn't put a bow on it or we've moved onto the next thing to have a whinge about.
    Like we were being told to boil it before using but no way was I using it even after being boiled. Boiled or not it is still BROWN! That can't be good. Like boiling it isn't gonna change the colour of brown to clear etc...

So yeah tea is being made from ballygowan, also cooking water and brushing teeth with the good stuff.

Yep! It was still horrible after boiling it. Someone call out to Cartron with bottled water from Glencar. He came to the door with it and only charged €5 for a 5 litre bottle though. I seen the same one being sold in the shops for up to €7.50. Couldn't help but laugh at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Yeah, our water is looking cleaner too. Still not 100% but it started improving on Saturday.

We're still drinking bottled water, though. Mr Xiney's parents brought us up a 40 litre tank of spring water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Your from Cartron too Nic aren't ya?

It was awful bad. Couldn't run a bath even!!

As someone said boiled brown water is still brown!!

Your from Cartron too Nic aren't ya?

It was awful bad. Couldn't run a bath even!!

As someone said boiled brown water is still brown!!

Yeah Gill, I am from Cartron!
    And OMG my fellow Cartronian (well ex Cartronian) guess what? I just poured water into a glass there to check what it's like now and it is pure clear.
    NO BROWN :eek:

I will still give it a few more days before I use it just to make sure that everything that may have been in it, is out!!!

Sounds good!

Yeup
    What should we complain about next? :P

"Something they could have predicted"....give me a break.

I am living in Sligo for the best part of 25 years.... it was an issue THEN and if anything, it's getting worse!

I think even my dog could have predicted this problem.

• Advertisement

"Something they could have predicted"....give me a break.

I am living in Sligo for the best part of 25 years.... it was an issue THEN and if anything, it's getting worse!

I think even my dog could have predicted this problem.

Hold on a sec.

I have lived in Cartron almost all my life and the water has NEVER gone brown for more than a day...

Without being too specific where you from Jabby?

Hold on a sec.

I have lived in Cartron almost all my life and the water has NEVER gone brown for more than a day...

Have to agree. I grew up close to the cartron area from about the age of 6 and have lived in Cartron for 2 years now and I don't remember seeing the water go brown like that before. I know we've had warnings to boil it a couple of times but I don't think it's as bad as some people would like to make it seem.

Hold on a sec.

I'm from North Sligo Gillie and I can tell you for a fact that for at least 30 days almost EVERY year since 1983 the water goes brown around here.
    Don't ask me why. Anyone from this area will tell you that and we are blue in the face trying to get some of our gob****e county councillors to put pressure on the relevant department to do something about it.

So I hope it's not starting for you all there in Cartron and long may you have a faultless supply. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Same as.
    All I can remember is being told that the water has been turned off etc.
    I just asked mum there and she said the water has never gone brown for that long.
    She said it was never brown for no longer than a day and it was always just after the water had been turned off.
    She said it has never gone brown around here from the weather.

All my years and parents years living here we have never had to use bottled water for the ordinary tasks.
    My first run in with bottled water for that kind of thing was when I moved to Galway in 2007!!
    We didn't have it half as bad as them though!

I'm from North Sligo Gillie and I can tell you for a fact that for at least 30 days almost EVERY year since 1983 the water goes brown around here.
    Don't ask me why. Anyone from this area will tell you that and we are blue in the face trying to get some of our gob****e county councillors to put pressure on the relevant department to do something about it.

So I hope it's not starting for you all there in Cartron and long may you have a faultless supply. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Sorry to hear that.

I hope it isn't a sign of things to come...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

North Sligo's water has improved marginally I agree, but what's the bets we will be having this discussion again this time next year and the year after ,and after etc.

Spot on!

And where is the water treatment plant promised for early 2008 by one of local councillors?

Advertisement