Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome new TY students

Options
  • 17-08-2008 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

Welcome new Transition Year Students =]

Transition year comong up now, for the rebels who chose to do or got into Transition year, Well Done you wont regret your decision (unless you dislike it or are intolerant, then you may have :P)
    Just thought Id get myself familiar with my fellow TY-ers as I may need help along the way (user I am!) but I proberly wont as its only TY :P

Good Luck Anyways =]
    & you better reply!!
    I dont want to be the only one going into TY!! >=[

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Hope you have fun..Once you are finished you wil realise it was the worst decision you ever made..Will ruin 5th year for you and you will turn into a total ass licker...which happened lots of me friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭TransititionMan

callaway92 wrote: »
    Hope you have fun..Once you are finished you wil realise it was the worst decision you ever made..Will ruin 5th year for you and you will turn into a total ass licker...which happened lots of me friends

I will have fun, and I believe you get out of TY whatever you put into it and I definatly dont believe its going to be the worst decision I ever made!
    I also dont believe I will turn into an ass licker, if your trying to change my mind your efforts are offensive and futile...
    Its proven that TY people get an average of 30 points extra which isnt much for the useless among us but when your already fairly smart and your aiming for 500 and over 30 points is a hellova lot!

Coincidence i believe, perhaps the teachers wanted to make asslickers, thats what seperates your school from mine...

Thanks for your concern though.

I will have fun, and I believe you get out of TY whatever you put into it and I definatly dont believe its going to be the worst decision I ever made!
    I also dont believe I will turn into an ass licker, if your trying to change my mind your efforts are offensive and futile...
    Its proven that TY people get an average of 30 points extra which isnt much for the useless among us but when your already fairly smart and your aiming for 500 and over 30 points is a hellova lot!

Coincidence i believe, perhaps the teachers wanted to make asslickers, thats what seperates your school from mine...

Thanks for your concern though.

:rolleyes:Stopped reading there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I did TY and think it was great, was about 7 years ago at this stage but it was still good fun.

I remember when we went into 5th year thinking how immature and retarded the people were that skipped TY which was about half the class. Saying/doing things that were so last year :P

But sure whatever, as the OP said, you get out of it what you put in. Its the same with most things in life

• Registered Users Posts: 28 keane-xx

Im going to do it..!! I thought it was 20 points extra?? OH well, thirty is even better!! Hope its good, the ty's this year said it was the best year of their life so it sounds good!!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Now now children, claws away, etc.

TY is different in most schools, it depends on the time and effort put into it by the students and teachers, it's not for everyone so it must be respected that some people simply felt it was a waste of their time, while others really enjoyed it.

Hope you get what you're looking for out of it, TransitionMan, enjoy the rest of the summer first though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

OP: You spelled Transition wrong in your username... just thought i'd be a spa and point that out!:p

Very good,
    Now after Ive done transition year, Ill be able to spell it right =]
    You abviously have no reason to go into transition year though as your clearly not a spa as you pointed out my "mistake."
    Very good.

:rolleyes:Stopped reading there

You should've carried on, thats not the end... :rolleyes:

Steve_o wrote: »
    OP: You spelled Transition wrong in your username... just thought i'd be a spa and point that out!:p

Stop harassing the youngins!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Everyone whom I hang around with on a daily basis is doing transition year and I am not. This is bad because not only does it mean I will be lonely but I will also have to put up with their gleeful faces and patronising remarks.

You should've carried on, thats not the end... :rolleyes:

Ya I stopped reading there because its total bullsh1t tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Very good,
    Now after Ive done transition year, Ill be able to spell it right =]
    You abviously have no reason to go into transition year though as your clearly not a spa as you pointed out my "mistake."
    Very good.

I did transition year 6 years ago, it was the first year my school did it and it was badly run and turned into a farce after christmas!

Ya I stopped reading there because its total bullsh1t tbh

Whatever you say...
    If you feel that way thats fine,
    But done come here and try to tell me that Im wrong when Im clearly right as scientificly proven means right as it has been proven...
    So now, amble along now into 5th year and leave me with my TY okay ^^
    Thanks a bundle.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~bhccarroll/transition.html found this. Read the last bullet point.!

http://homepage.eircom.net/~bhccarroll/transition.html the last bullet point in the 'transition year helps students'

Haha....!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭burgess1

Your outlook on education affects your decision on whether or not you do TY.

Your outlook on education affects how much effort you'll put into preparing for the Leaving Cert.

People who do TY may do better in the Leaving on average but there's no proof that it's TY that helps them to achieve better grades. That bullet point proves nothing.

My outlook on education will affect what i put into my lc??

No it wont! Im just saying that there are certain people on this that think that that fact that ty MAY help is complete bull****. I'm just saying that statistically they do better. The examinations commission have proved this. And even you must agree that it is a coincidence that the people who do the transition year programme achieve higher points in the lc.

Im going to do ty because I want to do it, for many reasons. The fact that people who do ty fair better in the leaving certificate is definitely not my main reason. It actually would not be in my top 10 reasons. So my outlook on education is not affetcing my choice on whether or not to do ty.

I will work my ass off for the leaving. I will need 560 and I plan on getting it. Ty will be my year to relax although I will start reading ahead in my biology book for the lc. I plan on getting what I want. I was just proving a point.

burgess1 wrote: »
    Your outlook on education affects your decision on whether or not you do TY.

Your outlook on education affects how much effort you'll put into preparing for the Leaving Cert.

People who do TY may do better in the Leaving on average but there's no proof that it's TY that helps them to achieve better grades. That bullet point proves nothing.
    #

It clearly does,
    People who do TY get an extra year of education,
    It does make a difference if you do TY...
    Its not coincidence that people in TY do better than people on a 5 year curriculum, its because they've had an extra year to go over things!!!

It is as clear as day, I dont understand why you still object to the fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭burgess1

Someone whose mentality is "I'm getting out of this dump as soon as possible so I'm not doing an extra year" probably won't be aiming as high in the leaving as someone who chooses to spend an extra year in school in the first place.

I had really high expectations of TY this time last year but I have to say I think it's been a complete waste of a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭vespahead

Whatever you say...
    If you feel that way thats fine,
    But done come here and try to tell me that Im wrong when Im clearly right as scientificly proven means right as it has been proven...
    So now, amble along now into 5th year and leave me with my TY okay ^^
    Thanks a bundle.

whats your problem he only wanted to tell you his opinion and you turned it into a lectur about something you have'nt experenced yourself,
    so stop pushing your opinion on people and just keep them to yourself and listen to other people thats two people you've replied to in a hostile manner this is a public debate forum, people have different opinions and it seems if some one has a different one to you, you autimatically think you have have the right to put them right

• Advertisement

vespahead wrote: »
    whats your problem he only wanted to tell you his opinion and you turned it into a lectur about something you have'nt experenced yourself,
    so stop pushing your opinion on people and just keep them to yourself and listen to other people thats two people you've replied to in a hostile manner this is a public debate forum, people have different opinions and it seems if some one has a different one to you, you autimatically think you have have the right to put them right

I clearly never.
    His first comment was basicly telling me that TY was going to be crap,
    Then he said I was making statistics up.
    This is my opinion and he said it was, using his word, bullsh1t.
    I have no problem whatsoever against people who choose to do 5th year instead of TY, I was just pointing out facts.
    Its different in some schools which is why opinions of TY vary.
    Not once have I attempted to "put someone in the right" all I've been doing in protecting my right to my own opinion about TY...
    I dont see what people have against it...
    Frankly I dont care that much either as long as people dont go to me saying, "TY is a waste of time and youll turn into an ass-licker."
    Its then when I start to get a little peeved.
    Also when people dont listen to my opinion and are blatently trying to shove theirs down my throat to get me to believe it...
    Sad Really.

Also, as youve so kindly quoted for me showing me and my relentless hostile manner,
    Not once was I giving out,
    I was being quite polite for the reply he sent me so I really dont see where your coming from,
    I hold my opinion so strongly as my brother went into TY and loved it.
    He told me the pros and cons of it and thinking them through the pros definatly outweighed the cons so I thought Id do it.
    So please dont say Im approaching people in a hostile manner because I finished the comment with "Thanks a bundle" and I would NOT say that if I was talking to someone in a hostile manner.
    So thanks for the notification and for spreading your opinion but it seems it turned out to be quite futile.

Right lads, I think you're both entitled to your opinion, but we'll be having no wars in here.

TransititionMan, not everyone wants to do TY, not everyone believes or agrees with statistics, and you'll someday learn that statistics can be quoted in order to work to the advantage of some people and not others, even though they don't necessarily back up any statements.. (Either that or my debate team back in school really were chancers...)

Hopefully you'll enjoy TY, but that's not to say that some others might not.

The rest of you: Watch the language/agression kthxbai.

Im not taking away their right to an opinion,
    Its just that you cant really disagree with statistics,
    Its like saying black is white :rolleyes:
    Im not looking for a fight, just trying to get my opinion across without being accusted every step of the way.
    Really like,
    Theres limits to what I can take.

Ah sure lads..TransitionBOY knows all....

Im sorry if my name doesnt suit you, we dont all have brilliant names like "Callaway92" :rolleyes:Not once did I say I knew everything,
    Perhaps I do compared to you if thats what your trying to hint,
    either that or your last comment was your last desperate try to bring me down, unfortunatly it failed.

Good Luck in 5th Year and in the Leaving Cert.

Ah sure lads..TransitionBOY knows all....

:rolleyes: REAL mature.

Pair of you, cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭vespahead

by the way Transitionman,
    i did do fourth yr and my opinion is that it wasnt a worthwile thing i put this down to the way it was run in my school but i go a job from it so mehh,
    i hope you enjoy your experince and hope you recieve your thirty extra points, keep us posted on your toughts of the year ye,

cheers ryan

(apoligies for the bad grammer and spelling i did fourth year)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

ty is so **** i did not evan go to school for the last 2 manths becase thar is nothing to do had more fun on my xbox than ty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Snickit

Iv just finished my first day in TY. Well... not quite a first day. More a meet and greet with tutors and get timetables:pac:

• Advertisement

TY's going well,
    Loads of kewl stuff planned,
    Going to UL for a day out on the forth, also the timetable rocks aswell =]

Different in some schools it seems

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement