Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloody Cats , pests

• 17-08-2008 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

howya
    have a recurring problem with cats crapping in my back garden. its horrible.

any suggestions on how to get rid of these pests once and for all?

a cat will crap in any garden except its own..

i have considered, shooting, ( trapping , and depositing cat many many miles away ) can the dog/animal warden do anything?

i have put up with it long enough and today, found 3 cat craps in the garden.

i have a nice, garden, and dont want to go to any exepense, because of inconsiderate neighbours.

any simple solutions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Do they belong to neighbours or are they strays/ferals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Knocking in to the neighbours concerned seems like the simplest solution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 maryoshea

I would suggest knocking on the neighbours door? It would be unfair to dispose of someones cat. If they are wild cats contact the local ispca. Either that or by something for your garden to stop the cats from going in like a water sprinkler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

My own cat goes in our own garden.

Are you sure its not a foxes or a stray cat?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

Please do not use a sprinkler unnecessarily, we should be trying to conserve water (no comments about the recent rain please, it is still a precious resource).

I think you can get a pepper spray type thing from hardware stores (maybe pet shops too) to stop cats entering your garden. You may want to research it, as am not sure if it is harmful to said cats or plants etc.

I used to often see people putting down soft drink bottles with water in them and somebody told me this was to deter cats, again, not really sure.

I'm not sure if by telling the neighbours concerned they will be able to stop their cats going into your garden, but maybe they could pay for the spray?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Either feed them as they don't like **** were they feed or get a water gun. I've heard of filling water bottles as well. Even borrow a dog for a couple of days no need to be cruel there's enough of this already in this world, if you live in dublin and there strays call cat protection or cat aid to take them if not call your local spca.

Sorry!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I've heard putting orange peel around the garden deters them - never tried it though! (though i can vouch for the fact that cats hate the smell of orange peel.)

I see lots of cat deterent products in pet shops and garden shops also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If they belong to neighbours tell them to keep their cats indoors. If the cats do not belong to anyone call your local rescue(s) and see if they can help.
    However if all cats are removed more may appear anyway because of selifsh people not spaying/neutering and allowing their cats to wander.

Do not shoot them not sure if anyone else is offended here but I sure am just because you want a spotless garden you want to kill animals it's not their fault it's the owners. You going to do the same to birds that fly in a poop on your lawn.

Another alternative is to cat proof your garden if your garden has walls or fencing all the way around you can put up a layer of chicken wire ..it's hard to explain but basically the wire is positioned a certain way so cats can't jump into the garden. It doesn't cost much to do.

Water spraying or various other sprays don't work very well in the long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

There's a plant they hate called Scardy Cat' or Coleus canina. They hate the smell, as they do another plant called rue. They also can't abide thorny roses, as they get pricked by them when passing them unawares.

Same with mulch made from shells or anything prickly and sharp. They won't go near that - doesn't stop them going on your lawn though.

Sprinkle crushed pepper around the place - they hate that. Make lemon tea and pour it around - they hate citrus too. If you grind peels up to release as much smell as possible, it's good too. You can also grind up mothballs to powder and sprinkle that around too. Some people swear by citronella oil, and some people say that teabags soaked in Jeyes Fluid placed at short intervals around the perimeter works.

There is also another theory - and this is a bit of a suprising one - that cats won't spray a garden as their territory if they sniff someone elses spray there first. Some gardeners (male, hopefully) relieve themselves in their own gardens. If you spot them out of the window spraying a spot, then you can go out and spray over it. You may enjoy testing that theory out. Just please do it under cover of darkness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

my god some of the suggestions in here are a joke...

Water precious... Yes it is, but not in thie country at the moment.

Peper sprays... Bit cruel, no ?

Ask neighbours to keep the pet inside... You have to be taking the piss ?

If a cat and or other animals want to take a crap in your lawn, there is little you can do about it. My mother did buy a kind of cut out cat with reflective eyes before, seemed to do the trick. Same with putting garlic on the ground.

If its a ready problem, stop the cats getting access to your garden, put up chicken wire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭medeame

Am surprised, because cats go to great lenghts to cover up their poo, they not only clean themselves, but also, the area they go to toilet - usually anyway. r u sure its not someones dog??

My cat has been going in my gardens and neighbours for years and there is never a trace of it, you wouldnt even know where she went unless you dug it up yourself.

Dont advise trying to kill cats - drastic and open to legal action, would have thought.

Otherwise, sorry, buts its just nature, birds, mice, slugs, snails, dogs, etc all have to go somewhere.

sorry not being smart, just realistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

My advice to the OP is to get two cats for himself. Cats are very territorial and will soon recognise their boundaries. They will pi*s and cr*p over the wall in other boundaries thus keeping your garden clean, Any cat that ventures into your cats territory i.e, your garden, will almost certainly end up in a stand off. These can be fun to watch. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭RockRory

EIN wrote: »
    howya
    have a recurring problem with cats crapping in my back garden. its horrible.

any suggestions on how to get rid of these pests once and for all?

a cat will crap in any garden except its own..

i have considered, shooting, ( trapping , and depositing cat many many miles away ) can the dog/animal warden do anything?

i have put up with it long enough and today, found 3 cat craps in the garden.

i have a nice, garden, and dont want to go to any exepense, because of inconsiderate neighbours.

any simple solutions?

Probably not a cat as thet usually cover up there crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Discodog wrote: »
    That would be extremely nasty if it got into the cat's eyes, nose, mouth etc. Please make sure that there is none of it left.

I'm sure any rain would have washed it away!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement