Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Stratagem

Options
  • 17-08-2008 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

I have been pondering my piercings and tattoos. In the last year and a bit, since I discovered piercings, I have gotten 14 piercings and 3 tattoos. I've been going too fast. So I've come up with a stratagem to slow me down, which also helps lessen my guilt at not giving blood.

From now on, I shall get one or two piercings, then wait 6 months for them to heal. This way, I'll be able to give blood twice a year or so, and give my new piercings plenty of time to heal.

This is probably not interesting at all for most/any of you, but I'm posting it anyway. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

it's a good idea, i think. cos you *do* need that time to heal, plus, the blood giving side is a nice positive :)

i did actually come up with a strategem like that a few years ago, then i discovered i couldnt give blood anyway :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Same here Froo. Talk about disappointing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Don't think I can give blood because of my medication, but that's to be applauded popecatapetal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭popecatapetal

Glad y'all approve:) now to muster the self control to manage it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Well it does sound a bit like you were rushing things just a smidge:p.

As for giving blood, there's about 6 months of the year where I could, since I tend to get new ink in winter, but I'm just not comfortable with the thought of anything of me remaining after I'm dead, whether it be in a freezer, a specimen jar, or another person. If I could I'd get a charge of napalm and thermite implanted in my chest and set to ignite when my heart stops, make damned sure nothing's left.
    Never been checked though so for all I know I might not be able to give blood anyway.

So it's not my cup of tea but fair do's to you.

• Advertisement

Actually, red blood cells only live about 120 days, so if you give blood and it's put in another person, you'd have to die within 4 months of donating, max. Otherwise, all your components will be dead, just like you:)

For work experience in transition year, I went to the lab in the hospital near me, and the techs there were telling me that they only keep red blood cells about three weeks, and plasma (liquid part) about two months. It goes out of date after that.

And that is the reason I know that pointless piece of information.

I wonder if they have water balloon fights with the out of date stuff...

*hails taxi and leaves promptly*

:D that made me laugh far too much :)

I was laughing to myself writing it, and kinda disgusted at the thought too, but that made it all the funnier ;):D

Plasma grenades \o/

Actually, red blood cells only live about 120 days, so if you give blood and it's put in another person, you'd have to die within 4 months of donating, max. Otherwise, all your components will be dead, just like you:)

For work experience in transition year, I went to the lab in the hospital near me, and the techs there were telling me that they only keep red blood cells about three weeks, and plasma (liquid part) about two months. It goes out of date after that.

And that is the reason I know that pointless piece of information.
    However:
    White cells have highly variable life spans once released from the
    bone marrow into the circulation...from hours to years.
    :eek:
    http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/mole00/mole00663.htm

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I haven't been able to give blood since my first piercing when I was 18. For 5 years, I haven't gone 6 months without some sort of body modification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

FWIW, I was mighty pissed off when I went on my 18th bday, (not to get my 1st tat or piercing) but to the blood bank, only to be told that I cannot and never will be able to give blood. The reason, I lived in the UK between 1989 and 1996 !!! Like ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

What has that got to do with anything? :confused:

dodgy blood in those days. same reason i can't give it. i had a transfusion while there was a lot of dodgy blood around in ireland.

There was a lot of contaminated blood back then with Hep C and the like.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I was laughing to myself writing it, and kinda disgusted at the thought too, but that made it all the funnier ;):D

Plasma grenades \o/

Sick but I laughed!

Must go give blood again soon.

There was a lot of contaminated blood back then with Pep C and the like.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

I think the reason is because there was an outbreak of CJD (mad cow disease) in the UK. So i asked them can I not just be screened for it, and if I dont have it could I give blood. He said the only way to screen for it is by a post-mortem brain examination :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

zzzzzzzzzzzzombie?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Ah yes. I remember hearing that alright.

• Advertisement

I'd be reasonably sure a CAT scan/MRI would allow for a pre-mortem diagnosis but they're not going to fork out the cash to get all those people who're in this high risk catagory checked out just so they can give blood again. But even without that they should be able to test the blood for the prion. :confused:
    I'd imagine they have to check the blood for the prion anyway rather than be sued for getting someone infected later, they're just trying to maximise the number of tested samples that will pass by cutting out high risk groups for diseases that can be transmitted through the blood (Hepatitis, HIV, CJD).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

then i discovered i couldnt give blood anyway :rolleyes:

AIDS much?

thanks for the useful comment :rolleyes:

anyway, like i said, i had a couple of transfusions when there was dodgy blood around the country.

anyway, like i said, i had a couple of transfusions when there was dodgy blood around the country.
    Don't know why exactly but I keep reading that as "doggy blood".:o:D

Advertisement