Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disabled parking spaces

Options
  • 17-08-2008 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question-
    My Mam has a disabled parking permit, she is no longer capable of driving herself. The permit is used when myself or my sister have to bring her somewhere. The permit is a major advantage for her. Someone told her that if we park in a public disabled space that we do not have to pay and display. Are permit holders exempt from putting their money in the meter ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

As far as I know yes, but only as long as you the person the permit was issued for is using the vehicle i.e. driver or passenger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 suirifre

Got a parking permit myself and as far as i know the holder of the permit can use it in any car and park in any public parking spot and not pay and display and only place the parking permit does not apply is in private car parks :)

I think it varies depending on the local authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Yeah, i think it varies but the majority of them are free, i think. What is your locality jos28?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Dublin City
    http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/Parking/Pages/DisabledParkingPermit.aspx

Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown
    http://www.dlrcoco.ie/forms/disabled_parking.pdf
    http://www.dlrcoco.ie/Roads/Parking_Control_Byelaws2007.htm

South Dublin - "Disabled spaces are provided for disabled badge holders. Should these spaces be full, vehicles with disabled badges on display are permitted to park in ordinary parking spaces free of charge. "
    http://roads.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=234&Itemid=264

Fingal
    I can't find anything relevant to Fingal - you might have to pay. That said, very little of Fingal has paid parking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭medeame

The parking disc is only for the person in the car, and it has their details and registration on it. The person usually has a tax exempt disc also as a registered disabled driver or passenger.

You can get vrt & tax back for either a disabled driver or disabled passenger when they buy a car.

You cannot just put this sticker on any car, i know this as am a mobility disabled driver for 8 years, and they are the rules.

If your mum does not drive, you can apply to have the sticker as a named driver for her, but only one person can drive her and put it in their car, this cannot be passed around the family from car to car and person to person unfortunatelly.

If a parking warden sees the sticker but does not see the tax exempt disc, he can still issue you with a ticket.

You can contact the disabled drivers office in Sligo and ask to have the disc transferred to you a named driver, you will have to give in all details of your car too.
    Pls ring them or take note of the use rules, or you may still get a ticket even though you are doing the good dead of driving the person.

All the best

Hope that is all clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Victor wrote: »
    Fingal
    I can't find anything relevant to Fingal - you might have to pay. That said, very little of Fingal has paid parking.
    Fingal accept disabled parking disks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks a million everyone for all the advice. I live in Dublin (thanks for the link, Victor). Despite my Mam's permit, we have always been reluctant to just leave the car at a pay and display in town without paying. Just to be on the safe side I will contact the disabled drivers office to make sure Mam has the correct permit.
    Thanks again everyone:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 gkl

The Disabled Parking Permit/European Parking Card which is a blue lamanated card with a photo and signature on the back its issued by either the Irish Wheelchair Associoation or the Disabled Drivers Association.
    It is not just for use on one car, it is for the disabled person it belongs to and can be used on any car that the disabled person is travelling in.

I don't think there is separate rules in different area's as far as I'm aware the same rules apply all over the country, and that includes not having to pay for parking in pay and display spaces.

I would urge people to be very careful with their cards as if you or your friends/family are found to have misused a card it can be taken off you and misuse can incur a fine of €3000 or six months in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

medeame wrote: »
    The person usually has a tax exempt disc also as a registered disabled driver or passenger.

Usually, but it's not a requirement in order to get a parking badge.

You cannot just put this sticker on any car, i know this as am a mobility disabled driver for 8 years, and they are the rules.

Once the disabled person for which the badge was issued is travelling in the vehicle, it can be used.

... but only one person can drive her and put it in their car, this cannot be passed around the family from car to car and person to person unfortunatelly...

... If a parking warden sees the sticker but does not see the tax exempt disc, he can still issue you with a ticket.

No such restriction exists. As gkl noted: it [the badge] is for the disabled person it belongs to and can be used on any car that the disabled person is travelling in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

gkl wrote: »
    The Disabled Parking Permit/European Parking Card which is a blue lamanated card with a photo and signature on the back its issued by either the Irish Wheelchair Associoation or the Disabled Drivers Association.
    It is not just for use on one car, it is for the disabled person it belongs to and can be used on any car that the disabled person is travelling in.

Thats the card my Mam has. The explanation that came with it is exactly as you have described. The permit is for her and can be used in any car that she travels in.
    Cheers

Advertisement